Ground Source Heat Pumps

Options

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had my HT plus heat pump replaced after the earthquake damage to the original unit. Now have the new HE model, so hope to be able to help anyone who has this as well.
    The new model has a anti seize feature on the pumps, so should never be turned off. There are also quite a number of other good features i.e holiday settings. COP at 35C is over 4, so very good.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Silly question, possibly,but do I have to have my heat pump serviced to receive RHI? I did take out an extended warranty with Ice Energy which ran out this month and as it included a service am not sure what to do next...
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • lovesgshp
    edited 7 April 2017 at 2:45PM
    Options
    There should be no need for a annual service, its just another money making scheme.
    Things to check are the 2 filters once a year. You could also check the refrigerant glass for air bubbles after 5 minutes of operating. If none it is OK.
    Expansion tank -- make sure it has liquid in it to at least a 1/3 full.
    Just check alarms in the menu.
    Make sure pressure levels on heating circuit (1.5 bar) and ground loop (0.5 bar on operation).
    GT8/GT9 temp difference Max 11C, GT10/GT11 5-6C.
    That is basically it, so you can do those things yourself. Otherwise we are here to help where possible.
    Sorry do not know how RHI operates in the UK.
  • beardymarrow
    beardymarrow Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Silly question, possibly,but do I have to have my heat pump serviced to receive RHI? I did take out an extended warranty with Ice Energy which ran out this month and as it included a service am not sure what to do next...

Hi,
    It doesn't seem to be a requirement, no.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/drhi_essentialguideforapplicants_v3_mar_2016_web.pdf

One thing is for sure, don't try to renew your warranty with Ice :-)

Check out the FB group for plenty of alternatives. There seem to be mixed opinions (to put it politely) about Alto Energy,
    which I won't repeat here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1080600538734266/

Beardy
  • DeeWestern
    DeeWestern Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No problems still claiming your RHI.
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    lovesgshp wrote: »
    Just had my HT plus heat pump replaced after the earthquake damage to the original unit. Now have the new HE model, so hope to be able to help anyone who has this as well.
    The new model has a anti seize feature on the pumps, so should never be turned off. There are also quite a number of other good features i.e holiday settings. COP at 35C is over 4, so very good.

Glad you've got yourself back sorted. That COP is very good.

Whilst I'm on, it was mentioned to me at a recent service that I ought to have a Magnetic Filter (Fernox TF1 or Magnaclean Pro 2) fitted in the CH return. In your independent opinion, is a magnetic filter required, and if so which would you recommend? They are cheap enough so I'm happy to if it's useful. I know it's been a while since we've "spoken" so I have an IVT HT+ E9.
  • lovesgshp
    Options
    Hi Beardy.
    Yes it has been a long time!!
    Not sure about a magnetic filter, unless there is a high iron content in the water supply.
    Did not know you were still having yours serviced after all the knowledge you imparted to this topic,
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    lovesgshp wrote: »
    Hi Beardy.
    Yes it has been a long time!!
    Not sure about a magnetic filter, unless there is a high iron content in the water supply.
    Did not know you were still having yours serviced after all the knowledge you imparted to this topic,

Yes, indeed, long time. That's testament to the quality of advice you gave and the consequent smooth running of my GSHP ever since.

OK, cool. I'll leave it and save the money.

The service was part of the warranty from ICE. I only had one done, before they went belly up, but I'll do it myself from now on, having seen what the guy did. Not rocket science :-)
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    Yes, indeed, long time. That's testament to the quality of advice you gave and the consequent smooth running of my GSHP ever since.

OK, cool. I'll leave it and save the money.

The service was part of the warranty from ICE. I only had one done, before they went belly up, but I'll do it myself from now on, having seen what the guy did. Not rocket science :-)

Sorry, just one follow-up. I thought the magnetic filter was to catch all the bits of iron sludge corroded off the inside of the rads (despite having a decent inhibitor in the system), that then flow through and block the heat exchanger/pipes, not to do with the water supply? I may have it wrong though. It may just be snake oil?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it depends what sort of heating you've got. If steel or cast iron radiatorss, then it's probably a good idea. I'd guess that it's relatively easy to clog up a plate heat exchanger with crud

We've got underfloor heating all over so it's just copper piping to brass manifolds and from there all the heating piping is plastic so there shouldn't be any iron in the water.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure