Mistreated at job centre - filing a complaint.

Options

Comments

• MrRedundant
    Options
    She's quite right.

Too many lazy idiots out there who think 6 actions a fortnight is acceptable or vague responses are.

You are unemployed and allegedly job seeking. You should spend several hours a day searching online websites such as JCP, S1 Jobs, Reed etc applying for jobs.

Looking at websites and applying directly

Reviewing your CV and cover letters

Getting the weekly papers and applying for jobs.

You should regularly be walking up and down the high street or visiting agencies

You should be looking at training opportunities.

Finding some charity work or work experience.

Never mind 6 a fortnight; 6 a day would be reasonable for someone genuinely looking for a job.

Websites like Supermarkers, Banks etc have hundreds of jobs on them.

I fully defend the right of the JC to give slacking layabouts who clearly arent trying an iota to get a job a hardtime.

Feel free to tell us why only 6 actions a fortnight is reasonable or why you cant record these properly.

As for mistreated! No you where not. The truth just hurts sometimes and why should I and everyone else support people who clearly are not giving half the effort they could.
  • MrRedundant
    Options
    That was shocking.

I just spoke to her supervisor! My dad got angry and demanded to speak the lady himself because he said "I was being too soft, and couldn't make a complaint to save my life!" And then he spoke as my 'representative'. He got quite heated and the poor supervisor woman said "I don't really want to get into it with your dad". But he was determined. After he got his point across he changed his tone and said "Listen, I just want to back up my daughter. Nobody wants her to get a job more than I do. She's like a lamb - she'll just take whatever you're saying and go along with it. I'm here to stand up for her and the way she was spoken to was unacceptable." Before that he was fuming though. But very diplomatic, not shouting. I understand why he is angry. But I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach after being involved in the phone call.

In all fairness though. I did bottle up when she spoke to me and started trying to justify that I was looking for a job, rather than telling her that the woman who had taken me earlier was just being a plain old !!!!!.

They're going to speak to her now. Hopefully I won't cross paths with her in future - because she'll hate me for getting her into trouble... but atleast she's been told to lay off.

I don't really know how to feel right now.

You are an adult. Maybe your refusal to act like one and crying to daddy explains a lot.

Tell your father to butt out and you will fight your own battles and find your own job.

This sort of thing is doing you no favours. Who is going to employ someone incapable of doing stuff themselves.
  • donnaessex
    donnaessex Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    MrRedundant you really are a piece of work sometimes.
    :o Trying to become debt free but this site makes me spend a fortune!!! :o
  • Savvybunny2009
    Savvybunny2009 Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2011 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had a rough time at the jobcentre hun, it isn't very nice place to be at the best of times.

To my experience in the past most of the people in my local job centre are the same and you have to take it with a pinch of salt. You are required to list 6 applications or interviews etc which I always did and if they questioned why only 6 I would always ramble off all the papers I have looked through, all the websites and agencies I had been calling daily, I explained that if I were to write them all down I would need a new book each signing. Make sure you write down the dates you applied and that you will chase up any applications or contact the client/interviewer etc.

In my experience, you go there, are kept waiting an hour or so whilst they chat, sip their coffees and make it very clear that they are catching up on the latest episode of their favourite soap opera gossip when they could actually be helping with the signings. Have you asked about vacancies at the jobcentre? I only ever met one helpful advisor and he was truly brilliant at his job.

A word of warning though, don't lie about what you have done, there's no point because they are within their rights to check whether you have applied etc and when you get to six months on jobseekers the rules become much stricter and they will contact every employer you approach and will check everything you write down. If you are genuinely looking for work (and they must see a fair few that aren't and lie through their teeth) just be honest, do all you can and if they say 'it doesn't look lke much' simply ask them what more exactly it is they want you to do.

Don't let them get you down, if you imagine how it feels going to a job centre imagine how it feels to be working there!
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    You are an adult. Maybe your refusal to act like one and crying to daddy explains a lot.

Tell your father to butt out and you will fight your own battles and find your own job.

This sort of thing is doing you no favours. Who is going to employ someone incapable of doing stuff themselves.

No wonder you are redundant! :mad:
  • biggaz26
    biggaz26 Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr Redundant....You are an absolute tool..
    One day some company will do what they say they will do and charge a fair charge.:T

Not doing the opposite of that which they promise and charge you a fortune for the privileged. :(

Or maybe not:mad:
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    That was shocking.

I just spoke to her supervisor! My dad got angry and demanded to speak the lady himself because he said "I was being too soft, and couldn't make a complaint to save my life!" And then he spoke as my 'representative'. He got quite heated and the poor supervisor woman said "I don't really want to get into it with your dad". But he was determined. After he got his point across he changed his tone and said "Listen, I just want to back up my daughter. Nobody wants her to get a job more than I do. She's like a lamb - she'll just take whatever you're saying and go along with it. I'm here to stand up for her and the way she was spoken to was unacceptable." Before that he was fuming though. But very diplomatic, not shouting. I understand why he is angry. But I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach after being involved in the phone call.

In all fairness though. I did bottle up when she spoke to me and started trying to justify that I was looking for a job, rather than telling her that the woman who had taken me earlier was just being a plain old !!!!!.

They're going to speak to her now. Hopefully I won't cross paths with her in future - because she'll hate me for getting her into trouble... but atleast she's been told to lay off.

I don't really know how to feel right now.

In all honesty I dont think its on for your dad to get involved. That womans job is to ensure you are actively seeking work, just having a couple of things on there over 2 weeks between signings doesnt sound like you are doing enough to her and she is trying to press the fact that you need to be doing more to look for work.

Yes she could have handled it differently but imagine how many people pass her desk and show nothing or very little in the way of looking for work..

as said above register for job sites and really go head first into it. DAILY. and show this on your log book..
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • BackOnTrack
    Options
    Ignore MrRedundant he is a troll, I can tell from his idiotic comments and having seen a few in my time.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
  • Heart_Shaped_Diamond
    Options

I did not go crying to my father. He initally called up the job centre without my permission and spoke to them first. I did not want him to file complaint. But after he called, they wanted to speak to me.

After they had called me back, I spoke to the woman who said she gathered enough information to speak to the lady who had taken me this morning herself.

But my father stepped in again and took the phone off of me, OUT OF MY HANDS, and said he would like to speak on my behalf.

I know I did not "cry" to my daddy. I don't even know why I feel the need to explain myself to you. There is no need to speak to me like this either. The complaint that happened was less to do with me and more to do with my father, but the inital incident involved myself and was upsetting. I don't blame him for being wound up. But at the end of the day - he is an adult too. He can pick up the phone and speak to whomever he choses.
    Toto, I
    Don't think we're in
    Kansas anymore...

~:heart2:~
  • KevInChester
    Options
    Has this happen to me as well, there is a point when it becomes bullying - especially as the advisor was in the wrong, as long as you have done the required number of steps it doesn't matter if you have written the bare minimum or a war and peace style novel in each box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure