Mistreated at job centre - filing a complaint.

Options

Comments

• Heart_Shaped_Diamond
    Options
    GEEGEE8 wrote: »
    Why did you leave Uni? because of health reasons? Is it possible to try again this September?

Exactly that GEEGEE. My head lecturer said she thought leaving would give me some space to get over the illness and to re-audition and enrole in the summer. She said her daughter works in ASDA, so it can't be that hard to find a job in the mean time.

I wish I had never had listened. I never realised to the extent that it is so difficult. I have always been in education so this is the first time i've looked for a job properly. It makes it worse that I have no experience, only course work. Employers don't look for that anymore they just want someone that's been there before. They don't seem to want to train anyone at all.
    Toto, I
    Don't think we're in
    Kansas anymore...

~:heart2:~
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I would try to go back to uni if you can .
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Heart_Shaped_Diamond
    Options
    I will Blackpool but I have to wait until enrolement. In the meantime i'm stuck at the job centre.
    Toto, I
    Don't think we're in
    Kansas anymore...

• GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    I would try to go back to uni if you can .

I agree!

At least get your degree and then you can get student loans/grants etc to get you by...

Hopefully with your degree or further studies you will be in a better position than now
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    my jc told me to apply for 3 jobs a week dont they realise everyone else will be applying too?????
    :footie:
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    I will Blackpool but I have to wait until enrolement. In the meantime i'm stuck at the job centre.

What about temping?

Places like Reed.co.uk deal with this. I did it once and ended up working on reception in an engineering department for a local hospital.. it led me to realise what I wanted to do and now I'm at uni doing surveying..

The jobs are okay and some are just short term contracts, so it would enable you to earn money, meet loads of different people, have a laugh without the stress of a serious job and just get some work experience.
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    So sorry to hear that.

In future every day - whether you do it or not, write down any job websites you visit - even if you have not applied for any. so when you go back to the moaning old cow you can prove you have taken on board what she said and looked for work.

in fact write down each website as a different log on each day and you'll fill the book up.

Remember its what you have been doing to look for work not how many jobs have you applied for. Also write down the weekly papers you get - though these never have anything in them anyway.

Chin up - It will all come good sooner rather then later
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Her attitude does sound unreasonable but (playing Devil's Advocate) maybe you could be presenting your case better.
    Her: You will definitely need to do more from what I can see. ... What papers do you look in? What websites do you go on? If you've actually been looking for a job you'd know.
    Me: I was on Dobbies when they were recruiting but they needed managerial positions only. I was on the Lipsy website to get a number to call in store personally. I handed in a CV but they told me they had everyone they needed at the time. I went to see a careers advisor and we were on Diret Gov together looking.

Using a couple of company websites and Direct.gov does not count as using the online websites effectively. Register with a number of the jobs websites (such as fish4jobs) and check them every day. Register with agencies (e.g. bar/restaurant/hotel/clerical work) and take whatever temporary or one-off jobs they offer to build up some experience. Visit local shops/restaurants/hotels to see if they have anything available. Get all the local papers when they have jobs advertised.

Treat finding a job as a full-time job itself. Be prepared for lots of knock-backs and don't take them as personal - there is a lot of competition. Use the support of your family to let off steam if you need to.

Job Centres are not pleasant places but treat this as one of the more unpleasant parts of your job looking for a job; what you do outside the Job Centre should be where the major part of your effort and energy is spent. Remember that the staff do have to deal with a lot of people who are not serious about getting a job and this probably rubs off on their attitude to everyone who comes in. If you can show that you are serious in your efforts then they will not stop your benefits.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Heart_Shaped_Diamond
    Options
    That was shocking.

I just spoke to her supervisor! My dad got angry and demanded to speak the lady himself because he said "I was being too soft, and couldn't make a complaint to save my life!" And then he spoke as my 'representative'. He got quite heated and the poor supervisor woman said "I don't really want to get into it with your dad". But he was determined. After he got his point across he changed his tone and said "Listen, I just want to back up my daughter. Nobody wants her to get a job more than I do. She's like a lamb - she'll just take whatever you're saying and go along with it. I'm here to stand up for her and the way she was spoken to was unacceptable." Before that he was fuming though. But very diplomatic, not shouting. I understand why he is angry. But I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach after being involved in the phone call.

In all fairness though. I did bottle up when she spoke to me and started trying to justify that I was looking for a job, rather than telling her that the woman who had taken me earlier was just being a plain old !!!!!.

They're going to speak to her now. Hopefully I won't cross paths with her in future - because she'll hate me for getting her into trouble... but atleast she's been told to lay off.

I don't really know how to feel right now.
    Toto, I
    Don't think we're in
    Kansas anymore...

• Heart_Shaped_Diamond
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Her attitude does sound unreasonable but (playing Devil's Advocate) maybe you could be presenting your case better.

Using a couple of company websites and Direct.gov does not count as using the online websites effectively. Register with a number of the jobs websites (such as fish4jobs) and check them every day. Register with agencies (e.g. bar/restaurant/hotel/clerical work) and take whatever temporary or one-off jobs they offer to build up some experience. Visit local shops/restaurants/hotels to see if they have anything available. Get all the local papers when they have jobs advertised.

Treat finding a job as a full-time job itself. Be prepared for lots of knock-backs and don't take them as personal - there is a lot of competition. Use the support of your family to let off steam if you need to.

Job Centres are not pleasant places but treat this as one of the more unpleasant parts of your job looking for a job; what you do outside the Job Centre should be where the major part of your effort and energy is spent. Remember that the staff do have to deal with a lot of people who are not serious about getting a job and this probably rubs off on their attitude to everyone who comes in. If you can show that you are serious in your efforts then they will not stop your benefits.

I understand what you are saying. But the point is, I was mistreated by a member of staff. In a way the job search doesn't matter. It was her attitude to me as a customer that was unacceptable and nothing else.
    Toto, I
    Don't think we're in
    Kansas anymore...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business