We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£20+ electric in 4 days.....really?!

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Up to Dec 27th (32 days) we used on average 16.3kWh per day £52.35 = £1.63 per day.

Its mainly for 3 tv's, 4 computers, washing machine, dishwasher, lighting, two freezers no heating though and no immersion heater and xbox360, seems quite high £20 for 4 days

Actually my usage has gone up in recent months too which is usually as I monitor my usage for years I wonder if xbox360 is making a big contribution give daughter plays it for many hours

Heating a immersion heater will make a big difference and its best to heat water with gas along with heating when you can
    10 pence per hour for electric...Does that include dual fuel and direct debit discounts? VAT? Standing charges? That's a good rate. I would say your usage is very high as it does not include any heating or hot water. That's about 6000kwh per year when the average is about 3300kwh per year. How many kwh's do you use every day of gas?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • mrs-stressed
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Why is that ridiculous? I work it out at £8.60 per day. Assuming it's a PPM then the rate of electric will average out at about 16p/kwh including standing charges so they are using about 53kw per day. If they were home the whole Xmas/New Year period and had the heating on for 16 hours per day then they would only be using 3.33kw per hour. As an electric heater usually uses 2kw per hour then they are probably using 2 of them to keep 2 rooms warm so to me it sounds about right. I use half that but I only keep 1 room warm at a time using electric heating my lounge has a gas fire. Hope it gets warmer soon.
    My point was that in the original post it stated that they 'had been sensible'. I can assume therefore that they will not have had the heating on for 16 hours a day as that would be bonkers in a new flat. OK if you live in a drafty old semi with rotten windows and no insulation but I thought building regs meant that insulation was part of the spec for new builds?

I would still get in touch with the landlord to see if there has been a pattern of high bills for that particular flat/flats.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My point was that in the original post it stated that they 'had been sensible'. I can assume therefore that they will not have had the heating on for 16 hours a day as that would be bonkers in a new flat. OK if you live in a drafty old semi with rotten windows and no insulation but I thought building regs meant that insulation was part of the spec for new builds?

I would still get in touch with the landlord to see if there has been a pattern of high bills for that particular flat/flats.
    I translated sensible into only keeping 2 rooms warm whilst they were occupied and not asleep. i.e from 7am until 11pm. I wouldn't want to sit in a cold flat. I live in a new build yes but it's now 15 years old no cavity wall insulation. Poorly fitted wooden double glazing. Keeping 1 room warm either kitchen/bedroom or bathroom for 16 hours costs me £25 per week using 25kw per day @ 14p/kw inclusive of standing charges. The gas bill for the living room fire is about £7 per week plus standing charges to keep that room warm for 8 hours @ 3kw/hour @ 4p/hour.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2011 at 3:20PM
    Options
    I am on dual fuel with BG, we pay 14.41p per kWh

Discount is £1.25 off the bill

2010 we used 5243 kw: 2009 we used 4796 kWh: 2008 we used 5361

Gas last month Nov 26/Dec 27th we used 306 metric units 3487 kWh we also use a log burner

The bill I gave includes vat, it was £46.24 in energy

HappyMJ wrote: »
    10 pence per hour for electric...Does that include dual fuel and direct debit discounts? VAT? Standing charges? That's a good rate. I would say your usage is very high as it does not include any heating or hot water. That's about 6000kwh per year when the average is about 3300kwh per year. How many kwh's do you use every day of gas?
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am on dual fuel with BG, we pay 14.41p per kWh

Discount is £1.25 off the bill

2010 we used 5243 kw: 2009 we used4796 kWh 2008 we used 5361

Gas last month Nov 26/Dec 27th we used 306 metric units 3487 kWh we also use a log burner
    Thanks. My quick calculation makes it more than £2 per day. Where did you get the £1.63 per day for 16.3kw from. If it's from an energy monitor you need to set the rate on it to 14 or 15p per kwh. With mine I need to hold a button down for 3 seconds to set the settings.
  • savemoney
    Options
    £52.35 (inclusive of vat etc) /32 days = £1.63
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £52.35 (inclusive of vat etc) /32 days = £1.63
    That makes sense. So where did the figure of 16.3kwh come from as it works out at 10p/kw and not 14.41p/kw as your bill says. Did you have a balance that was brought forward from the previous bill?
  • savemoney
    edited 4 January 2011 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Its from 521 kwh/32 days (nov 26 - Dec 27th) = 16.26 rounded up on my spreadsheet

From spreadsheet

qqqqk.jpg

2222om.jpg2222vfr.jpg2222om.jpg
    2222vfr.jpg2222om.jpg
    qqqqk.jpg
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its from 521 kwh/32 days (nov 26 - Dec 27th) = 16.26 rounded up on my spreadsheet
    OK that checks out too. Now imagine you are an all electric household add the 521kw of electric to the 3487kw that you used on gas that month and you'll get 125kw per day. That's for your house and not economical to run on all electric as it would cost you £12.50 per day. Now the OP is on a PPM so the average rate may be 16p so could be £20 per day to have the same heat as your house. eeekkk:eek:...I'd halve that to £10 per day max for a flat half the size of yours.

Now someone will come along and tell me gas boilers use 3 times as many kwh as an electric fire but then someone else will tell me that electric heating costs 3 times as much as gas. :)
  • savemoney
    Options
    Not sure why bill says estimate part through bill I gave them readings monthly and they tally fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport