We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£20+ electric in 4 days.....really?!

Options

Comments

• annie_d
    annie_d Posts: 933 Forumite
    Options
    ..my daughter's new rented flat has cost......£60 electric in 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes, they have been sensible.
  • mrs-stressed
    Options
    annie_d wrote: »
    ..my daughter's new rented flat has cost......£60 electric in 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes, they have been sensible.
    OMG thats ridiculous!! I think an investigation here needs to be done. Landlord needs to be contacted to see if this is the norm for her flat!!

Good luck
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG thats ridiculous!! I think an investigation here needs to be done. Landlord needs to be contacted to see if this is the norm for her flat!!

Good luck
    Why is that ridiculous? I work it out at £8.60 per day. Assuming it's a PPM then the rate of electric will average out at about 16p/kwh including standing charges so they are using about 53kw per day. If they were home the whole Xmas/New Year period and had the heating on for 16 hours per day then they would only be using 3.33kw per hour. As an electric heater usually uses 2kw per hour then they are probably using 2 of them to keep 2 rooms warm so to me it sounds about right. I use half that but I only keep 1 room warm at a time using electric heating my lounge has a gas fire. Hope it gets warmer soon.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • moomoominx
    moomoominx Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    well i find that crazy £60.00 for a week! definately need to have that checked out - i have a 3 bedroom house - 2 kiddies - the usual tv in everyroom laptops etc etc - and i pay d/d of £67.00 a month - giving regular acurate meter readings - i am carefull as regards energy bulbs - turning all tvs etc of at the mains over night -(does help - belive me!) - but if your using electric heater s etc then they eat money like its going out of fashion ?-
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moomoominx wrote: »
    well i find that crazy £60.00 for a week! definately need to have that checked out - i have a 3 bedroom house - 2 kiddies - the usual tv in everyroom laptops etc etc - and i pay d/d of £67.00 a month - giving regular acurate meter readings - i am carefull as regards energy bulbs - turning all tvs etc of at the mains over night -(does help - belive me!) - but if your using electric heater s etc then they eat money like its going out of fashion ?-
    It isn't crazy though you are paying £67 per month that's £804 per year. That's very low BTW. Well done... 60% of gas and electric bills are for heating and hot water so that's £482.40. Assuming you heat the house for 6 months of the year then that is £18.55 per week then you need to triple it for an electric only flat on PPM rates to £55.66 per week. Then the difference of £4.34 per week (£18.80 per month) is the normal electric usage for appliances and so forth. They also would use the heating less as it's a lot more expensive than gas central heating. They are only using £60 per week as it's very cold. It will go down.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Dontknowanymore
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    An "A" rated fridge is pretty energy efficient, so shouldn't cost much to run. I think the ratings go up to A++ now, but yours should be good. Bear in mind that a fridge compressor cuts in and out as required, so at times the fridge may be using a noticeable amount of power, but then almost nothing as the compressor switches off.
    How do you get hot water? An immersion heater is an electric heating element in a hot water tank. They can use quite a lot of power, but are controlled by a thermostat, so only drawing electricity when the water requires heating.
    I just have hot water, there were 2 switches in the airing cupboard, I switched them on in June and have never switched them off.
  • Dontknowanymore
    Options
    Well I am doing hourly readings, I? put the blow heater for one of the hours, will post results later, I dont really know what i'm loooking for?????
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,681 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could do with finding out what the switches in your airing cupboard do. One will almost certainly be for the hot water, not sure about the other.
    You're looking for the number of kWh, or units used, between the two readings. That will give you an indication of how much your electricity consumption is on a daily basis with whatever you had running during the time between the readings.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2011 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Up to Dec 27th (32 days) we used on average 16.3kWh per day £52.35 = £1.63 per day.

Its mainly for 3 tv's, 4 computers, washing machine, dishwasher, lighting, two freezers no heating though and no immersion heater and xbox360, seems quite high £20 for 4 days

Actually my usage has gone up in recent months too which is usually as I monitor my usage for years I wonder if xbox360 is making a big contribution give daughter plays it for many hours

Heating a immersion heater will make a big difference and its best to heat water with gas along with heating when you can
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I am doing hourly readings, I? put the blow heater for one of the hours, will post results later, I dont really know what i'm loooking for?????
    Sounds like you could do with an energy monitor. Ring your supplier and see if they can give you one for free or you could think about spending a small sum on one. An electric heater will use between 0.8kw and 3kw of power. It will only use what is necessary to keep the room warm. Most well insulated rooms will lose about 1kw of heat each hour when the outside temperature is zero and you want the inside to be 21. This depends on how big your room is and how your house is built you could lose more or less. Currently my heating is on and the energy monitor says 2.1kw @ 29p/hour (i've set it to 14p/kw as that is my average rate....yes i get it cheaper with the £100 annual discount but every extra hour of heating will cost that). Then on the other hand if I press the daily button I've only used 11kw since 7am this morning so about 1.5kw per hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport