🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear what other monitors people use.

I appreciate that the clamp types can throw out erroneous readings, particularly when readings are low, say under 200w.

I like my optismart, but wonder how people are getting on with the direct 'stuff', such as sunnybeam (did I get that right).

Eventually someone will create a simple and cheap way of monitoring generation, consumption (and by default) import / export, and allow switching of systems or have they already! I've heard of EMMA but, hardly cheap.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what other monitors people use....

The Sunny Beam ....
    Nice piece of kit, but heavy on batteries. You need to set the interval for it to get the reading. I've now set mine back to a long interval and the display to blank after a minute or so, so not a real time indicator as the Owl is - I have an Owl too. You could set it like that if you don't mind recharging it frequently- maybe once a week. The reading is exact (as exact as the inverter) and you get graphs for today, yesterday, last 31 days, last 12 months, specific annual yield for the last few years, revenue, CO2.

I've got to be honest, the free software 'Sunny Explorer' is much better, but this is quite buggy. The bluetooth coverage isn't as good as using an Owl, at least from a PC (I guess due to the digital noise from the PC itself) although the Sunny Beam seems to do quite well for range - it works anywhere in the house, through 3 brick walls, but indicating almost no signal at that range (my inverter is in the garage).

I've now set up a PC with bluetooth in the hall (a server which runs 24/7 for my work) which is just through the wall from the inverter and I connect to that remotely to monitor the system and export data to Excel (which the Sunny Beam will do too, although I haven't tried it).

Bottom line is that Sunny Beam is very expensive for what it does, when you could have an Owl and then use Sunny Explorer for free.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • orrery
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Eventually someone will create a simple and cheap way of monitoring generation, consumption (and by default) import / export, and allow switching of systems or have they already! I've heard of EMMA but, hardly cheap.
    Mart.

Absolutely - there is a real gap in the market here. We need a product that is a combination of Owl monitor and remote switching plug tops, that can turn appliances on and off and where parameters for each appliance can be configured (load, priority, minimum/minimum time enabled etc).

It would be too much to ask that appliance manufacturers get together and have a common standard for such control, but I live in hope.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,693 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    orrery wrote: »
    Bottom line is that Sunny Beam is very expensive for what it does, when you could have an Owl and then use Sunny Explorer for free.

I also use Sunny Explorer with bluetooth dongle on a small netbook to extract data from the Sunny Boy inverter and then load it to the PVOutput.org website. Total cost was under £10 for the bluetooth adapter compared to £150+ for the Sunny Beam - this is moneysaving after all! All works well and netbook can also be used for other things such as connecting to Owl or using as laptop unlike Sunny Beam.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Sunny Beam ....
    Nice piece of kit, but heavy on batteries. You need to set the interval for it to get the reading. I've now set mine back to a long interval and the display to blank after a minute or so, so not a real time indicator as the Owl is .....
    Hi

It can be .... the Sunnybeam can be connected to a powersource via USB and when the USB is connected it overrides the manual update allowing it to be run as a real-time unit with the display on all of the time .... try linking it to a PC or laptop for power to see what I mean.

Ours is connected to a mains USB supply which really means that you can place it somewhere more readily visible instead of on a sunny window cill ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • orrery
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Ours is connected to a mains USB supply which really means that you can place it somewhere more readily visible instead of on a sunny window cill ... ;)

I'm not sure that you're taking this solar business seriously! :cool:
  • zeupater
    Options
    I'm not sure that you're taking this solar business seriously! :cool:
    :D .... Ah but,the beauty is that the monitor is then powered by the solar on the roof, not the solar on the monitor .... :D:cool:

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    zuepater

I'm still waiting for you to "assist" me regarding post 1130.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If these are the toys we have now, in the very early days of (mass) PV, imagine what'll be arriving soon. We'll have apps coming out of our ears.

Actually, thinking about it, aren't there bluetooth devices for switching things on via the web? If so, then people in work, travelling etc, will be able to check generation and then switch 'stuff' on!

I'm starting to feel old.

M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    Options
    don0301 wrote: »
    zuepater

I'm still waiting for you to "assist" me regarding post 1130.
    Hi

I have been courteous enough to describe where you logic is flawed and, like others who have attemped the same, have been met by an abrupt and abrasive attitude which is totally in-line with the definition and intent of serial trolling. I have noticed that today you have followed at least one of your chosen targets around the forum and have been abrasive there too.

The reply to your request regarding post #1130, which is open for all to see, is that the answers have already been provided, being contained in my post referenced in that very post and earlier posts, please read, digest and understand ...

.. :think::silenced:

HTH
    Z
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport