How much can you save?

Options

Comments

• dippykitty
    dippykitty Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    Options
    I've just transferred £25 across to my ISA so I've now hit the £12k mark. I'm back to where I was before I had to take £1k out of my savings for various unexpected outgoings.
    ISA savings: £25,139 Other Savings: £1750 (tied up in bond)
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all

You lot have given me so much inspiration to save ! i wish i got paid once a month as it makes it eaiser then to jst tran a set amount across not sure how to jiggle it as i get my money like this

1000 pm which about 800 goes on bills inc morg
    120 a week usally use this for shopping/petrol etc
    200 a fornight

so maybe i should save the 200 a fortnight cos at the moment ie got no savings st seems to go every month
  • jerrymind
    jerrymind Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Tigerwinn wrote: »
    I am with everybody on the savings front and found ReportInvestor's post very useful and checked out the websites for the regular savers. Couldn't find the 10% Barclays one on their website (could be my poor navigation).
    Is it on the website???

Also found that HSBC said you have to have your salary paid into the current account before you could open a regular saver. I have a current account but have my salary paid elsewhere. Is there a way round this?

Thanks

I do have a regular savings account (regular saver) with HSBC and also with Nationwide,.

I am looking at saving at least £400 every month but meaning a strict frugal life..
    I work on behalf of MS, however, my views do not necessarily reflect theirs, I am not acting as a representative of the company while on this forum and I cannot warrant that what I say is 100% correct in all cases.
  • Vixstar
    Vixstar Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Flaming electronic transfer to my ISA account has taken well over a week, although I do rememeber them saying that they count the cash from the day the transfer request was made but still it's annoying as I have to keep remembering that my current account isn't as rich as it seems
  • mintedmatty
    mintedmatty Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    Tigerwinn, for me the regular savers work really well, My £250 comes out on the same day I get paid and dont really miss it, Ive had one before and saved £50 -£100 but im saving £250 this time.I would love to open another seperate one with another Bank. hope it works well for you
    Millionaire in Training
    Mortgage: £27,535 (49% paid) Aim £25,000 by December 2015
    New House Mortgage £197,836 (4% Paid) Aim £194,000 by December 2015

#153 Save 12k in 2015 Challenge: £15,697£12,000
  • LucyTheDwarf
    LucyTheDwarf Posts: 880 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone ever sent a cheque to open a savings account, and have it taken out of the current account the cheque was issued from, but not paid into the account it was written out to? I've only just noticed that the cheque I wrote to open my 2009-10 ISA cleared from my current account in mid april, but never showed up in my ISA! I've been robbed £1!!!
    Target Cash Net Worth: £25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
  • Wanttosave_2
    Wanttosave_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Just wanted to say 'welcome aboard Dancing Butterfly' and I will think up some tips for you in due course.

Meanwhile I have about 9,400 pounds saved now but ggggggrrrrrrrr, I am hitting that inpatient stage and really want to accelerate my savings quickly now - any pointers gratefully received! :o

It is a grey morning as I look outside today ....... which gives me more incentive to carry on with my de-cluttering in the house - who knows what saleable treasures I might find! (Cash in The Attic springs to mind - how I wish :D ).

Anyway take care all and will post again soon.

:A
    Money Angel
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone - hope this is a good savings month for you.

Welcome Dancingbutterfly. My tips would be open your isa with the best rate you can find at the moment then if you have any more money to invest set up a regular saver account as these tend to offer a better rate of interest. As you said you are hoping to buy a house do remember to save up for stamp duty and solicitors fees as well.

Small ways to save
    Give up magazines and newspapers. Can get the info online or if can't live without magazines use your tesco club card points for one of their deals.
    Packed lunches to work. Even if it is just 4 out of 5 it will make a difference.
    Books/DVDs/CDs - Use pigsback to get points for vouchers. Lightspeed panel useful too.
    Menu plan and stick to your shopping list.

I'm sure other will have lots of handy tips.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • **dancingbutterfly**
    Options
    cookie9 wrote: »
    Hi everyone - hope this is a good savings month for you.

Welcome Dancingbutterfly. My tips would be open your isa with the best rate you can find at the moment then if you have any more money to invest set up a regular saver account as these tend to offer a better rate of interest. As you said you are hoping to buy a house do remember to save up for stamp duty and solicitors fees as well.

Small ways to save
    Give up magazines and newspapers. Can get the info online or if can't live without magazines use your tesco club card points for one of their deals.
    Packed lunches to work. Even if it is just 4 out of 5 it will make a difference.
    Books/DVDs/CDs - Use pigsback to get points for vouchers. Lightspeed panel useful too.
    Menu plan and stick to your shopping list.

I'm sure other will have lots of handy tips.

Thats brill!:T thanks for everyones tips and welcomes!

Yea i didnt think of magazines! ive probably spent £4 in the last week on them! wont be doing that anymore!

me and the oh have just started to take our packed lunches to work and we've probably £30 a week between us!:eek: (if not more!)

Right i'll sort an isa out then!

thanks again all!:D
  • alohahawaii
    alohahawaii Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

I was just wondering do you have another savings account other than your ISA's?

I was thinking of putting some money into a savings account incase of emergencies rather than put everything into my ISA.

is this a good idea?

If any of you do something similar. how much do you keep in it?
    i can't decide how much to keep there.

As i'm moving out soon so will need a months rent as deposit too. so it will come in handy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback