Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Your Moneysaving bargain of the year.

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Your Moneysaving bargain of the year.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
26 replies 3.3K views
jaxx46jaxx46 Forumite
613 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
So as this year draws to a close I'm sure many of us are reflecting back over the last twelve months & I just wondered what do you consider to be your bargain of the year? I have been very fortunate with the likes of freecycle, A barbeque, garden furniture, some timber which made my reflection time in the garden so much comfier when it morphed into a bench :D also with ebay on which I did an awful lot of my xmas shopping, in fact not 1 of my xmas presents did I pay full price for:Tthey were all reduced or preloved & all appreciated. Then there were the CS bargains, the wine bargains (thank-you Mr.A) the whoopsies, the grabbits, the freebies, low & no spend. The most I have paid for anything this year was £75 for a complete wrought iron, ratton & glass bedroom suite comprising a double bed, 2 bedside tables & a dressing table with mirror for my daughter;) Of course there were the jams & chutneys from the garden & foraging, along with the card making & knitting of gifts, all things I have learned from the mse site. Last but not least the moral support from you all as I have stumbled through a year dogged with, bankruptcy, depression & ill health.

So as the clock strikes 12, I will be raising a glass:beer: to Martin & each & everyone of you & thank-you for helping me muddle through x

jaxx
Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)

It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I used ebay for some Christmas Presents. The allotment I guess it moneysaving.

Can I say using the freezer, is that allowed ? :D
  • charlies-auntcharlies-aunt Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    jaxx46 wrote: »
    So as this year draws to a close I'm sure many of us are reflecting back over the last twelve months & I just wondered what do you consider to be your bargain of the year?

....... Last but not least the moral support from you all as I have stumbled through a year dogged with, bankruptcy, depression & ill health.

So as the clock strikes 12, I will be raising a glass:beer: to Martin & each & everyone of you & thank-you for helping me muddle through x

jaxx

The bargain of the year has to be this site! At midnight I will be raising my glass & adding my voice to yours to say Thank You to Martin and each & everyone of my fellow posters!
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jaxx,

I'm another one who has saved more money by using this website than any other way. :)

Once you've had some more input on this board I'll move your thread over to the How much have you saved? board.

Wishing you lots more bargains in 2011.

Pink
  • LJMLJM Forumite
    4.5K posts
    i also used ebay alot and tips from here they helped alot and i will continue to do so in 2011 thanks mse
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    my kindle. I don`t count its cost as it was a present. The free books are wonderful and there are loads of very cheap books available ie for pence. I have already loaded 80 books
  • apple_mintapple_mint Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say it's my broadband access. Of all the things we are cutting, living without our broadband is not an option. It has allowed us constant access to money saving information and is a fantastic learning environment.

Without it we wouldn't have been able to read all the great advice on here or to get Martin's excellent weekly email. We don't live near a library for free access.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Hardup_HesterHardup_Hester Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought hubby a food slicer for Christmas last year, it was £24, the chapest I could find & it was worth every penny. I don't buy packets of meat for hubby sarnies I buy a small joint, whoopsied, of course. I cook it & hubby slices it thinly & I make sandwiches up for the freezer. It saves money & time.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • jensterjenster Forumite
    496 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    gonna add my vote for Martin and this site too :beer:

its saved us loads from all the tips thats there to be had

so happy new year MSE-ers

onwards and upwards to more savings

Jen.
  • kipperskippers Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This site has been my best find for the last few years. I wish i had kept a count of all the bargins and money saved due to it. Best thing about this site for me though is i can finally say i can cook a damn good meal for such a small amount of money. I now have a reputation with my friends for being a marvelous cook and making everything from scratch.....when i left home i had to read the instructions on a bag of frozen peas as i didn't know how to cook them and my friends knew me as the 'ready meal queen'....i've lost touch with most of my old friends after my divorce to my first husband (i've been with my my 2nd dh for over 16 yrs now)....my old friends would be astounded at me now
    :j :j :j :j :j
  • I agree with everyone else about this site. I looooooooove it! Thank you Martin and al you wonderful souls out there who are happy to share all your tips.
    My best buy this year, (apart from all my lovely whoopsies of course!!!!!) has to be a new looking Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book which I got at a church fair for 20p.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support