»

MOTs Cost Cutting MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion Area - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

MOTs Cost Cutting MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion Area

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
589 replies 209.1K views

Replies

• IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In NI there is only the choice of using government run MOT centres. This means that you have to remember to book 2-3 months in advance and even then you can not be guaranteed an appointment that will allow you to keep your car on the road - there could be a few weeks between the expiry of your old MOT and getting your new one - and it is illegal to drive it in that period.

This was made even worse last year when the MOT centres went out on strike. I got a date in December for an MOT due in June - therefore my car was on the road illegally (and many insurance companies made it clear they would not honour the insurance if the MOT was not valid). Some people had to pay and go across to Scotland but in the end the government passed something or other that made it legal for the car to be on the road as long as the owner could prove it had been regularly serviced and checked.

In a way I would like to see more globally available MOT centres in NI - stop the monopoly. There are however pros and cons to that!!!

A standard MOT is £28 with a retest costing £17.50

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • The cheapest mot test i have found and got done recently is at kwik-fit, only £25/- if you book it on line. also no extra charge for re-test. check their web site on

http://www.kwik-fit.com/arrange-mot.asp

hope this helps...
  • MoominMoomin Forumite
    356 posts
    MOT testing at Tower Hamlets Councils Vehicle Workshop is open to the general public also.

"The Borough's Vehicle Workshop undertakes the routine programme of servicing and repair to all the Council's vehicles and items of equipment. It arranges and undertakes driving tests for all Council drivers and undertakes vehicle inspections for the Council's car loan scheme.
    It has a MOT test bay, which is available to the general public."

Opening Hourse Mon-Fri 7am-4.30pm.
    Tel: 020 7364 1069

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/templates/services/services-detail.cfm?sid=2257

has anyone used them before?
  • rosesroses Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I called up my local centre on Yate but they wanted £44 which is the same as everywhere else!!

In the end I booked an appointment with a local garage for £44 & they guy is coming to me to pick up and drop the car off.
  • How long does an MOT test take to carry out? Is it worth waiting around?
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • First ever post so I hope I have everything right. I wish to know if there is a Government Mo T centre anywhere near Bridgwater in Somerset. I have gone through this thread and the previous one , all 23 pages, but no one has mentioned Somerset.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long does an MOT test take to carry out? Is it worth waiting around?
    As above, we use government test centres and they only take about 15-20 minutes ... mine failed (my fault for not checking a tyre properly) and the retest (that I had the privilege of paying £17.50 for) took about 15 seconds.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • As above, we use government test centres and they only take about 15-20 minutes ... mine failed (my fault for not checking a tyre properly) and the retest (that I had the privilege of paying £17.50 for) took about 15 seconds.

Ivan
    greetings, just a quick post to check if anyone knows if the current council mot testing stations in edinburgh are still correct? as below thanks. also has anybody used it and is the re test fee free?

Edinburgh City Council, CEC Fleet Services, Gorgie, Russell Road – 0131 337 2307 (choose option 1 for their workshops) OR City Fleet Services, 38 Russell Road, Edinburgh – 0131 347 1950 …….which one is it guys?

cheers for any help anyone can give me!

mike
  • I recently visited my local borough council testing station.

Crewe and Nantwich BC
    Direct Services
    Pyms Lane
    Crewe.

http://www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=1467

Opposite Bentley Motor works.
    Cost £30.
    Took about 45 minutes.
    Very pleased because my car passed.
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • Does anyone know a good place to get an MOT done in Staines? I've just moved here, and consequently can't use my previous 'trusted' garage.
    You're my badger now Dave.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support