Replies

• Jock221Jock221 Forumite
    160 Posts
    Well you know the old saying "truth hurts"
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jock221 wrote: »
    The benefits system in this country is in need of a serious review. If you can afford to live in France as it's a lot more expensive than UK then possibly you don't need DLA. After all their weather is not much better than ours. The same applies to ex pats living in SPain etc getting winter fuel payment how ridiculous is that clause. I too paid into the National insurance pot for over 32 years when my incapacity benefit was stopped this year I don't even get my NI contributions paid but the law states if I was serving a prison sentence then I would be entitled to get them paid. I am sure many people would benefit from a wee move to France but can't afford it. If you were injured in the course of your work I am certain when your compensation was agreed it took into account your lifetime needs. The sooner the Govt bring in medicals for all DLA claimants will the county be rid of the scroungers and only the truly genuine will benefit. If you are now living and existing in FRance try claiming for DLA there I am certain you will be given your bus fare home.

What a truly ignorant and offensive post.

The cost of living may be a bit dearer in France but property is so much cheaper that many people move there to realise the equity in their property and use this to live on. You do not become less disabled when you move abroad and your extra costs remain.

Again, with WFA in Spain you show a total lack of knowledge. Winters in Spain can be colder than in much of the UK; it isn't summer holiday weather all year round you know!

And no, you cannot claim DLA or AA when living in France or any other European country (at the moment), the benefits are exportable if you receive them before moving.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And the even older one "ignorance shows"!
  • abc123456 wrote: »
    I thought this forum was to answer questions relating to the post, rather ill informed jealous idiotic rants from someone who clearly knows nothing.
    Thank you to those who posted informative and relevant details. I will draw this post to a close..all those who want to rant, please continue, but I will not be taking notice!

Just ignore the pompous idiots. There are several posting here, who's sole pleasure is expounding on their private peeves.
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • tobykimtobykim Forumite
    436 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    There are several posting here, who's sole pleasure is expounding on their private peeves

I agree and think it's a real shame that a really good forum should have sunk to these depths. Ruined by a few really nasty people who have nothing better to do than lauch personal insults.
    The diability forum was set up to help vulnerable people and it's a shame that maybe those people will now be afraid to post on here, I know if I had a problem I'd certainly think twice before I posted.
    Think before you post you could be affecting someone's life and not in a good way
  • edited 3 January 2011 at 4:43PM
    DX2DX2
    8.3K Posts
    edited 3 January 2011 at 4:43PM
    Problem here though, you don't know the truth.
    Sniff on further reading your posts, you do remind me of someone. Welcome back Andy Pandy.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • What a truly ignorant and offensive post.

The cost of living may be a bit dearer in France but property is so much cheaper that many people move there to realise the equity in their property and use this to live on. You do not become less disabled when you move abroad and your extra costs remain.

Again, with WFA in Spain you show a total lack of knowledge. Winters in Spain can be colder than in much of the UK; it isn't summer holiday weather all year round you know!

And no, you cannot claim DLA or AA when living in France or any other European country (at the moment), the benefits are exportable if you receive them before moving.

Hello,

You are quite right on all but one item.

An EU Court Ruling found against the UK government late last year that made it unlawful for the DWP to refuse to accept UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU, new DLA claims. This started with a guy living in Spain for many years and falling ill over there. Under EU legislation, a citizen of a country should be able to choose which benefits to claim - either those of the host country or the country from from which he moved away from and contributed to via tax & NIC.
    The same applies for Polish residents living in Poland with a family being able to access UK benefits because he worked and paid taxes in the UK but does not intend to work again in the UK. Similar Polish benefits are a lot less than UK ones - so he can choose which will give him the best financial advantage.
    The reverse should therefore apply.

He won his case and for the past 3/4 months the DWP have been trying to find a way out of this problem. As you can imagine if they just rolled over and accepted the ruling, claims from everywhere would start falling on the doormat of the DWP! They are currently sitting on a very large number of such claims which they should by right now agree to pay out on.

They are however trying to stop it happening from 2013 with PIP because they are including the wording of 'habitually resident' which currently does not apply for DLA - you only needed to have been 'resident at some time'.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An EU Court Ruling found against the UK government late last year that made it unlawful for the DWP to refuse to accept UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU, new DLA claims. This started with a guy living in Spain for many years and falling ill over there. Under EU legislation, a citizen of a country should be able to choose which benefits to claim - either those of the host country or the country from from which he moved away from and contributed to via tax & NIC.

I would be interested if you have a link for that. I have a friend in Spain who have been turned down from receiving DLA because she hasn't lived in the UK for 26 out of the last 52 weeks. i could pass it on to her.
    Thanks
  • edited 3 January 2011 at 7:02PM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 January 2011 at 7:02PM
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/Introductiontofinancialsupport/DG_073387

You must meet one of 3 conditions to get it abroad which may be relevant to the OP. Do they qualify?
  • sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    DX2 wrote: »
    Problem here though, you don't know the truth.
    Sniff on further reading your posts, you do remind me of someone. Welcome back Andy Pandy.

I welcomed him back as this guise last week but guess what............

he denied it!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals