DLA suspension in France

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
43 replies 6.6K views

Replies

• CHRISSYG wrote: »
    possibly as you no longer live in the uk you are no longer entitled to benefits ,there was a story on tv about DWP stopping ex pats claiming uk benefits which is only right as far as im concerned !

Hear, hear!
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    abc123456 wrote: »
    I was asking for help to answer the question relating to DLA payment suspension, not to debate whether my health had improved. I suggest you read the post before you pass comment like that, and call people rude.

I've read the whole thread and I think that if you've moved abroad to improve your health then asking if the move has been effective is entirely appropriate. Posters here are, after all, the people paying your benefits.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    possibly as you no longer live in the uk you are no longer entitled to benefits ,there was a story on tv about DWP stopping ex pats claiming uk benefits which is only right as far as im concerned !

If the OP's medical condition is unchanged then she's perfectly eligble for certain UK benefits and I can't see why anyone would object to this.
  • I've read the whole thread and I think that if you've moved abroad to improve your health then asking if the move has been effective is entirely appropriate. Posters here are, after all, the people paying your benefits.

The fact of my health has nothing to do with this post. If you care to start at the beginning and read the question, you may agree. So, all posters here are contributors, like myself, to my benefit...I think not.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    abc123456 wrote: »
    So, all posters here are contributors, like myself, to my benefit...I think not.

In that case you think wrong and show a total lack all knowledge of how the welfare state works.

Your contributions paid for the benefits and pensions of those who claimed them when you were working; your benefits are paid from the contributions of those working today.

National Insurance isn't a personal "pot" that you pay into when working and draw on at need; the system has never worked like that.
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    abc, as far as I am aware benefits such as DLA are supposed to be continued to be paid as long as you are living within the EU, that is supposed to be one of the advantages of being in the EU, free movement for people thoughout the European Community etc.
    Yes I think the DWP have made an error here, but getting it sorted could be a problem, as I suspect a fair number of staff won't know what the official ruling is (as with the person you spoke to on the telephone.

I suggest you write to them (as soon as possible), send a copy of your original letter which confirmed you would be entitled to receive the payments, and ask them to investigate where your payments are. It is probably that your payment has got sent to a different account number or some such (have you recently changed bank accounts? Have you asked your bank to check that they haven't allocated your credit to some other account by mistake).

Once you have written, telephone every week to check they are actually following up your letter, until you get the funds - oh and if it's their error, you should get some interest too.

And I agree with you, your health status shouldn't be in question on this thread. You were deemed eligible to receive DLA, and should only have to answer to DWP about your on-going eligibility.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Further to my comments about the portability of DLA. After reading the PIP consultation document I notice that the gov. are hoping to introduce 'habitual' as an extra test for recipients living in the EU.
    I can see this as a way of blocking payment of the new PIP to any and all that do not 'habitually' live in the UK. To my mind this would exclude all of those currently receiving DLA but being 'habitually resident' elsewhere in the EU.

No doubt the EU courts will want to challenge this in due course!
  • edited 2 January 2011 at 8:41PM
    Jock221Jock221 Forumite
    160 Posts
    edited 2 January 2011 at 8:41PM
    The benefits system in this country is in need of a serious review. If you can afford to live in France as it's a lot more expensive than UK then possibly you don't need DLA. After all their weather is not much better than ours. The same applies to ex pats living in SPain etc getting winter fuel payment how ridiculous is that clause. I too paid into the National insurance pot for over 32 years when my incapacity benefit was stopped this year I don't even get my NI contributions paid but the law states if I was serving a prison sentence then I would be entitled to get them paid. I am sure many people would benefit from a wee move to France but can't afford it. If you were injured in the course of your work I am certain when your compensation was agreed it took into account your lifetime needs. The sooner the Govt bring in medicals for all DLA claimants will the county be rid of the scroungers and only the truly genuine will benefit. If you are now living and existing in FRance try claiming for DLA there I am certain you will be given your bus fare home.
  • Jock221 wrote: »
    The benefits system in this country is in need of a serious review. If you can afford to live in France as it's a lot more expensive than UK then possibly you don't need DLA. After all their weather is not much better than ours. The same applies to ex pats living in SPain etc getting winter fuel payment how ridiculous is that clause. I too paid into the National insurance pot for over 32 years when my incapacity benefit was stopped this year I don't even get my NI contributions paid but the law states if I was serving a prison sentence then I would be entitled to get them paid. I am sure many people would benefit from a wee move to France but can't afford it. If you were injured in the course of your work I am certain when your compensation was agreed it took into account your lifetime needs. The sooner the Govt bring in medicals for all DLA claimants will the county be rid of the scroungers and only the truly genuine will benefit. If you are now living and existing in FRance try claiming for DLA there I am certain you will be given your bus fare home.

I thought this forum was to answer questions relating to the post, rather ill informed jealous idiotic rants from someone who clearly knows nothing.
    Thank you to those who posted informative and relevant details. I will draw this post to a close..all those who want to rant, please continue, but I will not be taking notice!
  • zaksmumzaksmum Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jock221 wrote: »
    It's a pity all the scroungers and opportunists who flood into THIS country aren't just given their bus fare home, then.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals