First day of not drinking

in Debt-free wannabe
23 replies 1.5K views
I took the long overdue decision today that the most significant thing I can do to reduce my outgoing was to quit drinking - I probably spend about £30-40 a week on beer and wine. If anyone has got some help and advice to keep me going I would really appreciate it.

:rotfl:
:p
Mortgage £153000
Egg £0
M&S £5970.00
Amex £0
Sainsbury's £0
Lloyds £5800
Natwest overdraft £0

target date for debt free of credit cards December 2008

;) We must become the change we want to see - Ghandi

DFW nerd no.207

Replies

• Good luck, davidm - best way to avoid temptation is to keep busy, obviously. That way you won't get bored and reach for the drink.

I gave up regular boozing after my lightbulb moment and now buy a nice bottle of wine once a month on payday - it lasts me the weekend.

:T
  • Good luck! Well done for taking the first steps! Keep us posted on how you get on!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Good luck! I've given up my red wine habit due to pregnancy so I do sympathise. My best advice is to do something else. I find that when I get in from work if I make a cup of tea instead of reaching for the corkscrew the moment of "needing a drink" passes and it doesn't bother me.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • I am also going to join te nerds club - can anyine point me in the right direction to enrol?
    :p
    Mortgage £153000
    Egg £0
    M&S £5970.00
    Amex £0
    Sainsbury's £0
    Lloyds £5800
    Natwest overdraft £0

target date for debt free of credit cards December 2008

;) We must become the change we want to see - Ghandi

DFW nerd no.207
  • moozie_2moozie_2 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi there and well done on your decision!I hope you have many more days without a drink ;) Find out what triggers you to drink - boredom, sitting in front of the tv, having a meal - and provide yourself with an alternative :)

Southernscouser runs the nerds club. I am sure he can sort you out a number ;)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • If I give the booze up by myself I very rarely manage to stay off it longer than a week so I usually make a pact with the mrs and we usually manage 2-3 weeks but by then I'm gagging for a cold beer. Good luck, I feel your pain!
  • smog_2smog_2 Forumite
    120 Posts
    Hiya

I recently cut down dramatically on the amount I drink.

I find going to the gym to do a class/play squash/badminton?have a swim etc and then coming home to a nice - well deserved - meal really helps.

I's definitely the keeping busy thing. And I allow myself to drink half a bottle of wine and eat bad food one night a week (friday or saturday) - that way I've got something to look forward to.

Lots of non-caffienated drinks in the house are good too - herb teas (I know...I hated them too at first, but have become partial to a peppermint one before bedtime), hot choc etc.

Good luck!!

:A
  • Well done on giving up! I used to drink quite a bit and still have the odd one but to be honest feel so much better for not drinking that I rarely bother! Feel more awake, less sluggish in the morning but only problem is that I get a horrendous hangover now if I do drink - even 1 G&T!! My advice would be when you get the urge do something to keep yourself busy and the urge will pass but if you've been drinking quite a bit the initial desire for a drink can be quite strong! I also had really weird nightmares/dreams for about a week! Seriously though the benefits to your physical & mental health in giving up will be worth it - just hang in there & have a know - how you feel when you climb the walls hug from me!! You'll also be far better off! Well done & remember if you fail, dust yourself off & start again - if you've tried you've not failed anyway! Keep us updated!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• whatatwitwhatatwit Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    The nerds thread was on the front page a couple of days ago, I joined then.

Well done on the drinking front. :grouphug:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Me too Davidm! I go out far less than I used to now I am married, but we are both quite partial to drinking indoors, whether it's in front of the TV or with dinner etc. I reckon we also spend about that much on booze per week. Also adding to my post-wedding weight gain I'm sure!

We've joined a gym and started jogging through the week, so hopefully limit any drinking to the weekend.....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals