Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

MSE News: Plan for charity giving at ATMs and tills

Options

Comments

• mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive actually only just began to say no.. i hate saying no.. but the amount of times they bang on the doors !!!!es me right off.. i pop the odd few coins in the collection boxes now and again

sod donating at atms..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • irenem
    Options
    i AGREE AND MORE SO WHY NOT GIVE THE CHARITY MONEY TO CARERS WHO SAVE THE COUNTRY A FORTUNE AND LIVE IN POVERTY IN THE UK. I FOR ONE CANNOT AFFORD TO GIVE TO CHARITY BECAUSE I AM A CHARITY CASE WHO THE GOVERMENT DECIDED SHOULD BE PAID A ALLOWANCE AND I SHALL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL FOR THE CHARITY I RECEIVE FROM TAX PAYERS ETC
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    This will benefit the banks more than it would the charities. If you make a donation at the tills, the shop will keep an "admin" fee, the banks will take their cut then whatever is left for the charity, they'll take their own "admin" fees from it. Before you know it, 90% of your donation has gone on making the rich richer.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Miss_Sexy_Bum
    Options
    Id like there to be a system where everytime i pay for something in shop which is a .99pence,
    instead of giving me that silly 1pence change, that they could just keep it and give it to charity.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Id like there to be a system where everytime i pay for something in shop which is a .99pence,
    instead of giving me that silly 1pence change, that they could just keep it and give it to charity.

There is. It's called asking the cashier to pop the change in the box that's at the till (if they have one)
  • BUXTONRABBIT
    Options
    licky_face wrote: »
    What are the odds that the money raised from these schemes is used to directly replace funding for charities who have had their taxpayer based funding pulled by the Government as part of the spending cuts? So in effect it is acting as a (albeit optional) tax rise. Not that I think these charities shouldn't be funded, however it's the dishonesty that gets to me.

And yes I agree it is effectively begging, if there's one way to guarantee I won't donate to your cause it's to wait until I have got my wallet out and then starting asking me to spare a few quid.

Well said. I agree completely
  • Kyrae
    Kyrae Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They say our charity volunteering rates are too low compared to other countries, well there's an easy way to solve that. How about people on job seekers allowance are made to do charity volunteer work to earn their money? Gives them work experience to add to their CV, helps charities, and would probably be a lot more effective in helping them find work than the useless job centres are.
  • pawnbroker_2
    Options
    According to my calculations we are already "giving" away nearly £20 Million in foreign aid money every day which is considerably higher than many countries do. India for example can build a formula 1 racing track but we pay for primary school education there !

Surely some of this money must be able to go to UK based charities rather than warlords, weapons and Swiss Bank Accounts.

Sorry but I will not be contributing at any ATM.
  • donquine
    donquine Posts: 695 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree fundamentally with guilting people into supporting charities that they do not feel aligned with and/or pressuring people into giving away money that they can ill afford.

A chugger once asked me for money for a particular charity, but I declined to give him any on the basis that I already donated to that charity and I was in fact a volunteer for them. He called me a liar.

I understand that charities are becoming more and more desperate for financial support, but I cannot get behind any organisation that resorts to bully boy tactics to survive.

If you want to give money to charity, there are plenty ways to do so. Payroll giving is one of the most effective ways to make a regular tax efficient donation to a particular charity and most (bigger) employers are happy to implement this.

I rather suspect that this proposed scheme will allow the donor little if any say in where the money goes. If you support a charity, it should be your choice which one and your choice how much (this should be based on how much you would like to give, capped at how much you can afford if less).

There are two charities I choose to support and I draw the line there. If I supported every single good cause, I wouldn't have enough money to live off.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Giving foreign aid is like giving unemployment pay. Lots of trouble if you don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure