Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

MSE News: Plan for charity giving at ATMs and tills

Options

Comments

• MartJ
    MartJ Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    How much will the banks take for running the service, another way of boosting the senior bankers bonuses.

How much will it cost to change government forms to incorprate a box for giving to charity.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    Thought this government was against nannying and supposed to be in favour of getting out of people's lives.

Very disappointed.
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    Are the check out operators going to have to ask if we want to donate, in the way they have to ask if we want cash back? They're going to end up getting sniped at by shoppers who are fed up at being asked all the time.
    I think this is a terrible idea. As other posters have said, it's just to replace government funding that will now be withdrawn.
    Every day, I feel a little bit more like we're heading back to the 80s and I hate it.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I only give to two charities that is the RNLI and Guide dogs, both worthy causes that should be Government funded anyway.

There are too many people waving boxes for too many charities in my face or putting sacks in my door. And now they want to wave more charity giving in my face :mad:

My family live well below average wages and it is an insult :mad:

It makes me angry when so much aid is giving abroad and not to people who are destitute in this country.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2010 at 10:03PM
    Options
    JHC wrote: »
    The government seems to think we need to be nagged at every turn to give money to charity.

No, no, no... you have it all wrong!!

It's not nagging. It's 'nudging.'

In much the same way NEST is nudging people to contribute to a pension by making it opt-out, thus catching all those people who CBA to opt-out.

(Though how the government differentiate between nagging, nannying and nudging I've no idea - they all involve the government messing about with things they should be leaving well alone.)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    See it for what it is ... yet another form of TAXATION.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    WhiteHorse wrote: »

No it's not. Tax is obligitory. This is (after jumping through hoops to say 'no, fu*k off' for the 20th time today) isn't.

Tax is obligitory. This isn't (at least not yet.) The fact that there's nothing said about you cannot say 'stop bugging me about this' every time you use your card is worrying to me.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WhiteHorse wrote: »

Taxation? This is definitely not taxation - the whole point of taxation is that everyone pays according to their ability, and not according to how altruistic they feel when they are withdrawing cash.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They'll get bugg4h all from me. It's d4mned rude of them. If people want to give they'll give (time or money or goods), making people feel obliged will hit the weak, vulnerable and gullible.
  • Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Options
    If I go to a cash machine and it says do you want to "check you balance", YES or NO, I press NO.... Then do I "want an advice slip", YES or NO... Then do I want a "receipt" YES or NO....

If it then said "do you want to donate to charity" YES or NO, aside from wanting to smash the machine up i'd prob just press NO, then CANCEL the transaction.

Go back to standing the queue and cashing a cheque, least I can then get denominations I want rather than letting the machine choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure