January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.5K views

Replies

• Got some Fruit & veg at the market today plus some milk & chocolate bars at Farm Foods, some Cadbury cream eggs at the Co Op, some ICBINButter 7 a few other bits. Siognature updated. I have just realised that I only have 12 days to go to payday so 11 more days where spending would count & I still have £90 odd left so who knows I may even make it this month! Now that would be a VERY strange but nice start to the new year! ;)
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • I went shopping at Mr T*scos this morning I've spent £67.25 so that's £203.85/£500 (I've updated my signature already), it basically means that so far this month (3 weeks in) we are £96.15 better off !!! (Money that I would've frittered away - which is now going to be paid off the credit card). I've been really generous with my shopping allowance this month - I'm going to drop it next month, I'm not sure by how much just yet! . I am so pleased with myself - I'm actually managing to shop once a week (no top up trips - yet...)
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a Unicorn - then always be a Unicorn !
    No More Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - Joined May 2013

28x UU
  • lolly101lolly101 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I've had a few NSDs this week, although did nip into Tescos twice, spending £21.34 in total.
    I just stocked up on the basics: toilet roll, fruit, veg, etc. My only real bargain was some Dry Nites pull up pants that were on offer at £3.45 (usually £5.18) - We've been buying them for a while now, from many places, and this is the cheapest I've ever seen them (usually the only offer is 2 for £8). They are on promotion until 25th Jan, so if you regularly buy them you may want to stock up. I didn't have much money this week, but will definitely get a few packs next week - will definitely blow the budget!

My new total is...

£112.45/£125 :mad:

It doesn't look good! I am not too disappointed though as it is only my first month, and I clearly under estimated what I used to spend! I've also got a few bulk buys which have pushed the total up. Oh well, roll on next month!
  • esmeresmer Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    esmer wrote: »
    Im Ill so mum got me some stuff from Morrisons, and didnt watch the pennies, so have to be greatful she went for me :)

Mr Ms - 14.35
    Mr Ts - 8.32

Left to spend on Friday in my shop - 17.33 or less if I can help it :)

WE 8th January 14.35 in Mr M's and 17.22 in Mr Ts and 8.32 = 39.89
    WE 15th January 40.22 in Mr T's my budget is a little over. I did get mince, and chicken to make some dinners.............

I have all my lunches for work, but I will have to buy some more bread. But I am making and selling cupcakes in work on Wed :)
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 Posts
    hi everyone im updating my spends, the other day i spent £5.50 in i**land and £5.38 in mr s, mr t delivery was £65.35 and £7 in mr s today, grand total of £83.23 :eek:

Yesterday i had my lakeland delivery which consisted of pudding basins which ive been after for ages, now looking forward to making my own xmas puddings this year and choc and sponge puds :)

Today in wilkos i bought rooster potatoes to grow, strawberry plants and new pots to grow so hopefully thats going to be a saving for me :money: off to update sig now :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all been out for my big shop and I spent £56I have very little budget for the remaining month

Gracious me. Misread this as £561 !!:beer:
  • Rosieben PLEASE keep posting. We can't manage without you.

Out of Date stuff - we had a village shop for 35yrs and have eaten TONS of out of date things. I couldn't bear to throw stuff away. If you have too much to eat up quickly remember just about everything will freeze one way or another. I am a firm believer in using 'common sense' if it smells ok and looks ok and tins haven't blown then use it. We never get upset tummies and all 4 of us are healthy.

good luck
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    :
    Hi there.....totally new to this. Could you put me down for £110 this month.

Alice

Ooh goody. Another victim!:silenced: :hello
  • jammy_dodgerjammy_dodger Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    just updated my sig am ha;f way there but hoping tp cut back a bit more next month , mind you better not get ahead of myself half of this one to go yet;)

saw the posts re checking receipts i was delighted to be charged full price at till for toothpaste which was on offer for £1 as it meant i got £2 gift card for my trouble .. i have just found 4 more in my purse so thnk i;ll put them towards a treat for the house

Mr A always gives £2 card and Mr T gives double the diffrence for overcharges i enquired once as i was declined dd it is only mr T metro stores that dont offer this

may help someone out

JD xx

wishing you all luck with your goals x x
    July NSD 17/20
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    keep going lolly
    you'll get there
    and it means next month should be easier with a bit of stock in tow!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals