Pie

Controversal posting :mad:
Sorry if its in the wrong area :D , move if applicable :A
Just bought a steak and kidney pie froma well known supermarket on a buy 2 at a better price 1 x £2.49 2 x £4.50 deal (!)

Popped it into the oven for a quick tea with baked pots and just had a quick read to make sure on the temp and time etc when I was amazed to read it serves only 3!
Its a 600grm pie, a plate pie my Mum would call it. Always but always cut into 4 without a moments hesitation served with potatoes, veg and gravy.
I think this well know supermarket that has a certain Mr Oliver on the payroll are conning someone here! Either my portion control hasn't increased with the times or we are expected to buy 2 pies for a family of 4 or more. So am i serving to little? Admitadly my boys eat up the pie later for supper!
Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    I agree, one pie does not do 4, no way! Unless the kids are under 3 and have an appetite of a sparrow! Pies in our house are always a fight, I have two options on pie night, so that neither go hungry! Hardly economical but pie nights are such a 'I have got such a little slice' they are dreaded!! xxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you think it is enough then it is, especially with pies which are normally made up of a non calorie controlled filling surrounded by fat-laden pastry, so it's a healthier option to serve less pie and more veg and carbs.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i agree,one pie does 4 of us :)

not a huge slice of pie but enough when served with veggies,yorkshires,stuffing ( we eat these with every roast dinner lol) etc
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    1 pie for 4 people served with tatties and peas or something would be fine served with lashings of hot thick gravy. Bread and butter afterwards if they are still hungry to mop up the gravy

yum yum

x
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We prefer individual pies, but these don't seem as popular these days. Some supermarkets hardly stock any individual pies, but loads of plate pies :(
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I think the supermarket say it serves 3 because they do not expect that it will be served with potatoes. A lot of people would work on the basis that the pastry or potato topping on the pie is sufficient to make up the carb element of the meal, and would only then add veg.

At the end of the day the portion sizes are only guidelines, so if your family are happy with a quarter of a pie each, rather than a third, then all well and good surely. The only thing is if you are trying to monitor the balance of your diet you will have to work out your own data by dividing the total nutritional info by 4 rather than relying on their calcs per portion.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I make 4 servings too, no spuds, just lots of veg and gravy. We can have fruit/yog if we are still hungry and hubby will eat the remaining portion at work for lunch.

I often seen oversized 'snacks' like mega muffins and huge naan breads/onion bajis in supermarkets which makes me ponder and really wonder why the nation is becomming obese... Really i have no idea.. /roll eyes
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I make 4 servings too, no spuds, just lots of veg and gravy. We can have fruit/yog if we are still hungry and hubby will eat the remaining portion at work for lunch.

I often seen oversized 'snacks' like mega muffins and huge naan breads/onion bajis in supermarkets which makes me ponder and really wonder why the nation is becomming obese... Really i have no idea.. /roll eyes
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I cut it into 4 out of habit even though DD won't eat any and serve it with mashed potatoes, gravy and lots of veg :D

DS always finishes off the left over piece as a snack :rolleyes:
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    One pie each. Yummy. And a nice way to put on lots of weight lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts