International & UK CallChecker discussion

Options

Comments

• Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could'nt find in the 'International & UK Call Checker' but has anyone tried these two?

ICard Mobile charge only
    1p per minute Mobile or Landline to India and some other countries.
    1p per minute to UK Landline & 5p to UK Mobile.
    No connection charges, Free SIM and its Pay-As-You-Go.
    icardmobile.co.uk/rates.php

Vectone Mobile were offering a free SIM free calls to India till the end of last year. Now it is:
    1p per minute Mobile or Landline to India and some other countries
    Free SMS
    UK Landlines 5p/min
    UK Mobiles 10p/min

Pay-As-You-Go, Free SIM, 100 free texts to any network, 10 Mb mobile internet every day.
    And if you switch you get 100 minutes, 100 texts and 100MB of mobile internet each month for 2 months.
    Vectone has many other offers and bonuses.
    www.vectonemobile.co.uk

Not as cheap as VoIP but these two are the cheapest I have come across to India, when using a mobile phone.
  • cashflow
    cashflow Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I tried the 'Cheapest Calls ' access code now whilst trying to make a call to a mobile in France. After dialing the access code there was a recorded message saying, 'Due to over-capacity it is not possible...'. Was I charged the connection fee in this case?
  • ColinAllCars
    ColinAllCars Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    cashflow wrote: »
    I tried the 'Cheapest Calls ' access code now whilst trying to make a call to a mobile in France. After dialing the access code there was a recorded message saying, 'Due to over-capacity it is not possible...'. Was I charged the connection fee in this case?

Probaly its normally raised when you hit the recorded announcement.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    .... and probably the charge for one minute too.

Which is the drawback of using gateway numbers.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • cashflow
    cashflow Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks ColinAllCars and Heinz for your responses. I suspect, as you do, that a connection charge is made...and for 'diddly squat!'
    Today I tried to make a call to a mobile in Zimbabwe...'Ratebuster'= message to say 'not possible' on the access number shown. Then I tried 'Dialabroad', and got a similar recorded message about not being possible to connect. I eventually succeeded with 'O5 pence'. Maybe we need a list of who not to use, or at least a way of giving a rating of 'avoid.'
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    cashflow wrote: »
    Thanks ColinAllCars and Heinz for your responses. I suspect, as you do, that a connection charge is made...and for 'diddly squat!'
    Today I tried to make a call to a mobile in Zimbabwe...'Ratebuster'= message to say 'not possible' on the access number shown. Then I tried 'Dialabroad', and got a similar recorded message about not being possible to connect. I eventually succeeded with 'O5 pence'. Maybe we need a list of who not to use, or at least a way of giving a rating of 'avoid.'

There is a rating system on the call checker.Click a star from 1 to 5.

Can you not use www.18185.co.uk
  • Heinz
    Options
    Assuming you have a BT line and you're talking about calling a Zimbabwe mobile and not a UK mobile roaming in Zimbabwe, it might be worthwhile opening a 1899 and/or 18866 account.

They're the cheapest and are not gateways so there should be no 'start paying halfway through dialling' problem.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Assuming you have a BT line and you're talking about calling a Zimbabwe mobile and not a UK mobile roaming in Zimbabwe, it might be worthwhile opening a 1899 and/or 18866 account.

They're the cheapest and are not gateways so there should be no 'start paying halfway through dialling' problem.

But French mobiles are a lot cheaper with 18185 another destination they talk about.
  • Heinz
    Options
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    But French mobiles are a lot cheaper with 18185 another destination they talk about.
    Wouldn't be a problem for me - I keep A/Cs with all 3 running.
  • niamh2008
    Options
    Does anyone know if the rate advertised for cheap calls the only amount that is paid, or do you also have to pay your landline provider the cost of a 0844/0871 call??
    i.e. do you pay 1p per minute for international call, but also Xp/min connection plus Xp/min for calling 0844 number?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure