Sick after eating in restaurant

Options
I recently had a meal in a restaurant and was violently sick two hours after leaving the restaurant. All I had eaten that day was porridge for breakfast and a couple of biscuits. The meal consisted of oysters, rare steak in a cheeses and mushroom sauce and tiramisu. Does anyone have any advice what I should do.

Comments

• crystaltipps
    Options
    Don't go back!

Seriously though, if you think that there are hygeine issues that caused your illness, call the relevant local Environmental Health dept. They will investigate for definite, if they get a few complaints but if people don't let them know they won't other than routine visits.
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • bungle4by4
    Options
    it takes 48 to 72 hours for food poisoning i think mate.

think 2 to 3 days ago ?
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    italiastar wrote: »
    All I had eaten that day was porridge for breakfast and a couple of biscuits. The meal consisted of oysters, rare steak in a cheeses and mushroom sauce and tiramisu.

The answer may lie in the above - I must say a bit of a random cocktail of rich food in the reataurant vs a few biscuits and porridge.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    it takes 48 to 72 hours for food poisoning i think mate.

The first symptoms (usually vomiting) can often occur within an hour of eating.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Food-poisoning/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Food poiaing can be quick as its a reaction to chimicals realsed by certain bacteria and can not be removed by cooking. Food bugs can take 24-48 due to the need for bacteria/virus build up. As others have said contact Environmental health they'll investigate.

It is a lot of rich food to eat on fairly empty stomach.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you could be allergic to oysters , they make me incredibly sick

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2010 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Thank you for the replies - I agree about the richness of the food, but I normally don't have any issues like this, and wondered what to do. I've eaten oysters many times before, without a problem - out of what I ate, these were the least of my suspicions as they were some of the best I've every eaten. I thought it could be a bug, but after 24 hours of refaining from food, I managed to start eating normally without a problem.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Your word against theirs,I guess, and with shellfish you're really inviting trouble... For me it's mussels and prawns...I just can't ever eat them again! hope you're feeling a bit brighter now, if you think it's poor handling then all the public health for advice, or maybe just tell the manager you believe you had a bad oyster at his place, see if he offers you a freebie meal to keep your business in the future. Maybe there was a trainee that night who needs extra tuition or something, the manager needs to know though before her can decide what to do about it!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, have you spoken to a doctor?
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    OP, have you spoken to a doctor?

No - I wouldn't have been able to get an appointment for a day or so, possibly next week and as I said the symptoms have largely gone now - should I have gone to a doctor as an emergency the following day - i don't think it was one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure