PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?

Options

Comments

• champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Try stewed quince - we have a quince tree and it is one of my favourites. Peel & core them, cut them into quarters and put in a thick-bottomed pan. Sprinkle with sugar and add water so they are in 'to their ankles'. You can add a piece of lemon peel and a piece of cinnamon stick if you like. Then cook, very slowly, until they are soft and coloured dark orange/red.
    Leave them to cool and have them chilled for pudding with some cream or Greek yoghurt. They freeze perfectly too.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds delicious champys, thank you! :beer:

A runcible spoon?
    They dined on mince and slices of quince
    which they ate with a runcible spoon :T :T :T :T :T

I love that story!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lots about quinces here ;) I recommend the vodka or add to apple pies and crumbles. A puree of quinces is lovely with natural yogurt.
  • Muppet81
    Muppet81 Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been given a big bag of quince but they are very small (just a bit bigger than a plum) and very green.

A few years ago I was given some which seemed to be a bit larger and more yellow, so I think riper. I made some lovely jam with these but the job of quartering, coring and peeling them was a nightmare and i cut my hands to shreds. They were tough little blighter!

Does anyone have any recipe for using them whole and then straining the result?

I would hate to waste them but don't think peeling, coring ect is an option as there would be nothing left!
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Muppet81,

I think you should be able to make a jelly out of them without coring and peeling them. There's some information on how to go about it on this thread so I've added your post to it.

Pink
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    Hello OSers :)

I'm in the middle of making quince jelly, only my second attempt (last year's was tasty though a bit soft).

I used about 1.2kg of quinces, have boiled up and strained for 24 hours. I only have about 800ml of juice - I'd expected more as about 20 quinces went into the pan.

Any idea how much jam this will make? Is it worth trying to water the juice down a bit? I simmered the fruit for about 3 hours, and it looked on the dry side when I took it off the heat, so am wondering if it would be OK to water it down a little.

Any advice from experienced jam makers would be very helpful :) I can't remember anything about making it last year! Thank you.
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've previously made Japonica (Caenomales) Jelly (from the hard yellow fruits which have quite a heady perfume). They're quite different from the tree fruits which are much larger and more pear shaped. Japonica quinces are very hard, even when ripe which is when they've turned yellow. I wouldn't worry about your end product. It looks fine to me.
    The first time I made Japonica jelly I expected it to be light coloured but it turned out very thick (almost thick enough to slice) and was quite dark in colour. However, it had a delicious fragrance and we used it up with cold meats, etc. I'm sure if you wanted something a little different you could try mixing 50/50 with some apples, but make sure they're fairly juicy ones like Bramleys which cook down into a mush and produce plenty of juice. This should give you a lighter set than using 100% chaenomales fruits.
  • spiddy100
    Options
    Thanks Primrose, these are definitely the perfumed fruit which grow on a bush. I think I may end up with a smaller amount of firm, rich jelly rather than lots of it, but it is all a learning experience I suppose :) We all love the flavour so it will all be appreciated!
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • Tightwadways
    Options
    A big thumbs up for this thread! I was given 3 bag fulls of quinces from a kind freecycler....now about to start stewing some, slow cooking some for afters with ice cream...and on payday will be stocking up with vodka ;)) Great addition to the hampers this year!!
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I had a very heavy crop of quinces this year. I have made; quince jelly, quince vodka, quince pickle, quince and pumpkin chutney, quince cheese, quince tarte tatin, quince upside down cake and cooked a lot for the freezer.

5079375940_9923c32962_m.jpg
    Quince Jelly by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

5139713495_2c15de7d86_m.jpg
    Quince cheese by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

5087090622_0fd60528cb_m.jpg
    Quince Tarte Tatin by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

5056470729_c566cc1bf4_m.jpg
    Quince pickle by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

5084021556_05c8ac5ab9_m.jpg
    Making quince vodka by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

5090359816_7545850fd8_m.jpg
    Quince Upside Down Cake by The Quince Tree, on Flickr