PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was given some quinces and made some nice-loooking jelly (Mary Norwalk recipe). But...what do we eat it with? Is it a jam sandwich type of thing, or an accompaniment to meats, cheeses etc.
    Both ;) We eat it on toast, with roast pork, brushed on pork chops or with goose at Christmas, and with sausages. It is also lovely spread on water biscuits with a blob of creme fraiche on top, or with scones and cream. My sister-in-law loves it with smoked mackerel.

Ampersand I hope the damage wasn't too awful. I managed to stain a t-shirt with quince juice when I was pouring it into the jelly bag. A jelly bag is worth investing in ;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thankyou thriftlady - another 5 quinces coming today. Have just seen ironing board cover emerge, after soaking+90deg wash, brown/red where juice spilled. Shall make a bag with old net and muslin.
    Jelly is the most beautiful colour.
    LyndseyGlasman - use it with iced desserts, too - oh, and a VERY warm welcome to the thread, forum, site!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    Options
    Hello thriftlady and others -
    How is the quince vodka served? Neat? Avec? Over Ice? It's never been a taste of mine, so I've no idea.
    Many thanks, as always.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    Hello thriftlady and others -
    How is the quince vodka served? Neat? Avec? Over Ice? It's never been a taste of mine, so I've no idea.
    Many thanks, as always.
    I drink it neat, but then I drink everything neat;) It would be good with ice though. I wouldn't put anything else in it, you don't want to spoil the quince flavour. Drink it like a short rather than a glass of wine.

I think I shall use some of mine in my mincemeat this year which I'm going to be making with quince instead of apple (if they haven't all rotted by the time I get round to making it).

I also make syllabub to serve with Christmas pud and I think I'll put some in that in place of the brandy.

:beer:
  • ampersand
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I drink it neat, but then I drink everything neat;) It would be good with ice though. I wouldn't put anything else in it, you don't want to spoil the quince flavour. Drink it like a short rather than a glass of wine.

I think I shall use some of mine in my mincemeat this year which I'm going to be making with quince instead of apple (if they haven't all rotted by the time I get round to making it).

I also make syllabub to serve with Christmas pud and I think I'll put some in that in place of the brandy.

:beer:
    I've just started chopping them - mincemeat IS a good idea.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    I've just started chopping them - mincemeat IS a good idea.
    Not mine though -credit must go to Nigella Lawson. She calls it quincemeat:)
  • ampersand
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Not mine though -credit must go to Nigella Lawson. She calls it quincemeat:)
    How ANNOYING!
    I have shared the ambivalence of others here concerning her, though I liked John Diamond's column in the Times.
    Quince vodka now out in No. 2 shed, all in one crock - along with a couple of thumbnail gratings. Just as well as it's to be filtered around New Year..........
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I like her writing but cannot bear her on telly.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope you're all nice and snuggly ;)

I've been given 5 quince today, but not really sure what to do with them? I know you can make jelly but I haven't got a strainer bag to sieve it overnight.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Options
    Have you thought about slicing them and eating with a runcible spoon?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure