PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I passed a Chaenomoles shrub the other day which was absolutely full of yellow Japonica quinces and I remember last year they were just left to rot on the plant. I suspect the owner probably has no idea that they are edible and capable of making delicious jelly, jam or chutney. If my own cupboards weren't full of preserves that we've made in previous years that we're still trying to eat our way through I would have been tempted to knock on her door and ask if I could have some. I do now have a small Chaenomoles bush in my garden once more and next year I may get enough fruit to make some Japonica jelly again.
    It's such a shame that these skills seem to be a dying art. Last time I made Japonica jelly I took some into work, somebody sniffed it dubiously and asked "Have you put some perfume in this?". They couldn't believe that this was the natural fragrance of the fruit that they'd never heard of.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    My mum made jelly out of her japonicas too Primrose :o)

You know I'm not sure preserving is a dying art, I have a feeling that is undergoing a revival. My daughter and I were picking damsons from a hedgerow near our house for jam, chutney etc. My neighbour's children were very interested and ran to tell their mum. They also went damson picking and made jam. She was the very last person I would have expected to make jam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport