'The MSE Christmas quiz... can you beat the team?' blog discussion

edited 14 December 2010 at 4:10PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
45 replies 8K views

Replies

• Very clever.
    No 7 - Do Virgin do insurance?

Virgin do everything.:)
    No 8 is Christpher Columbus and there is a Columbus Insurance Co. I thought No 1 might be (a very glamorous) Barbara Castle for Castle Cover but it's probably not.
  • The Picture Round

I also spotted the car insurance thing too within a few minutes...just to re-iterate

1. ?
    2. Iggy Pop - Swift
    3. Shelia Hancock - Sheila's Wheels
    4. ?
    5. Admiral Horatio Nelson - Admiral
    6. Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill - Churchill
    7. ?
    8. Christopher Columbus - ?
    9. Loyd Grossman - Lloyds (spelling is different)
    10. John Merrick (The Elephant Man) - Elephant

Is the odd one out the person in the background because we can't see him?

• Martin’s special round…

Now this is where I let myself go and wrote questions on things I enjoy – my only self-imposed barrier was it had to be on things I didn’t need to look up to know the answer…

1. Put the following historic figures in order of years they were born, oldest first: 5 POINTS

Alexander the Great
    Julius Caesar

Attila the Hun
    Charlemagne
    Napoleon
    2. What’s the maximum you can score with the word ‘Exiting’ if you have the first go in the game at Scrabble? 96
    3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly ??
    4. Is goat kosher? Yes
    5. Which of the following isn’t a two letter scrabble word acceptable under UK championship conditions:
    AA, EE, LE, OO, QI, ZO
    6. When was the MSE original page launched; not the site, the black and white forerunner? What month and year? ??
    7. How many points are available in this round? 11
    Picture RoundHopelessly ignorant!!
  • The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round
    1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his boat (according to the Old Testament)? 14 (7 males + mates, but some versions say 1 + mate))
    2. What was the famous address resided at by Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister? 11 Downing St
    3. How many days were there in the year 1713? 354 (“Give us back our 11 days”)
    4. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get? Orange
    5. How long was the 100 years war? 116 years and a bit
    6. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have? 23 apples in very large hands??
    7. How many men were in a typical Roman Century? 80
    8. How many would you have if you had a baker’s dozen of baker’s dozens? 169
    9. Which of the following was Ghengis Khan’s first name – Ghengis, Temujin, Chin, or Khan? Temujin (a guess)
    10. Does American salt water taffy contain salt water? No, but contains sea salt
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round
    1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his boat (according to the Old Testament)? 8 (1 ram, 7 ewes)
    2. What was the famous address resided at by Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister? 11 Downing Street
    3. How many days were there in the year 1713? 365 in England, other countries may vary
    4. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get? Orange if pigment, yellow if phosphors
    5. How long was the 100 years war? 116 years
    6. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have? Big hands, nine apples, a '1' and a '4'
    7. How many men were in a typical Roman Century? 80
    8. How many would you have if you had a baker’s dozen of baker’s dozens? 169
    9. Which of the following was Ghengis Khan’s first name – Ghengis, Temujin, Chin, or Khan? Since family names come first in Chinese, Chin. Personal name Temujin.
    10. Does American salt water taffy contain salt water? No
    Martin’s special round…

Now this is where I let myself go and wrote questions on things I enjoy – my only self-imposed barrier was it had to be on things I didn’t need to look up to know the answer…
    1. Put the following historic figures in order of years they were born, oldest first: 5 POINTS
    Alexander the Great
    Julius Caesar
    Charlemagne

Attila the Hun
    Napoleon

2. What’s the maximum you can score with the word ‘Exiting’ if you have the first go in the game at Scrabble?

3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly
    110% of what you borrowed.

4. Is goat kosher? Yes.

5. Which of the following isn’t a two letter scrabble word acceptable under UK championship conditions:
    AA, EE, LE, OO, QI, ZO EE

6. When was the MSE original page launched; not the site, the black and white forerunner? What month and year? August 2000

7. How many points are available in this round? 11

Picture round - I recognised Sheila Hancock, Admiral Nelson and The Elephant Man
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century

• I think the red and yellow one is referring to light, not pigments. Yellow is red+green so slightly different shade of yellow?
    Nobody seems to have pointed out that the Elephant Man's name was Joseph Merrick, not John.
  • The Picture Round

1. Barbera Castle - Castle insurance
    2. Iggy Pop - odd one out - he is only one whose name is not an insurer - he just advertises them!
    3. Shelia Hancock - Sheila's Wheels
    4. ?
    5. Admiral Nelson - Admiral Direct
    6. Winston Churchill - Churchill
    7. Virgin Mary - Virgin Insurance
    8. Christopher Columbus - Columbus Insurance
    9. Loyd Grossman - Lloyds Insurance
    10. John Merrick (The Elephant Man) - Elephant
  • edited 16 December 2010 at 5:31PM
    trevorplatttrevorplatt Forumite
    11 Posts
    edited 16 December 2010 at 5:31PM
    The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round
    1. One (?)
    2. 10 Downing Street
    3. 365
    4. Orange
    5. 107 (ish)
    6. Big hands (and 23 apples)
    7. 100
    8. 13
    9. Borjigin Temujin
    10. Probably not!

Martin’s special round…
    1. Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun, Charlemagne, Alexander the Great, Napoleon
    2. ???
    3. £1000 (???)
    4. Yes
    5. LE
    6. April 2001
    7. 11

The Picture Round
    1. No idea
    3. Dame Sheila Hancock (I think she's a Dame)
    5. Lord Nelson (bit of a guess but I can't think of anyone else)
    6. Sir Winstone Churchill
    8. Christopher Columbus (also a Sir?)
    9. No idea
    10. Joseph Merrick (his name isn't John although the actor is - John Hurt from the movie, was it 1980?)
    odd one out: Joseph Merrick - hasn't received an honour from Monarchy.
    I'll have a think about the pics and come back to it, I'm sure I know 4 more!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're all enjoying it - fun to read your answers

I'll blog on the official answers next monday -and of course expect lots of argument :)

(it wouldn't be a pub quiz without)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • aptapt Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Picture 6 looks like Churchill. For the scrabble question you need to add 50 points for using all 7 tiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals