'The MSE Christmas quiz... can you beat the team?' blog discussion

edited 14 December 2010 at 4:10PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
45 replies 8K views

Replies

• edited 14 December 2010 at 5:00PM
    RabbitMadRabbitMad Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 December 2010 at 5:00PM
    1. Saw this on QI. I think its 7 of every clean animal so 7.
    2. 11 Downing Street (as the flat was bigger)
    3. 365 (or 7 having read above). The gregorian calendar was adopted in 15 something in a few catholic countries and then at various time in other countries with the UK adopting in 1752. Prior to that was the julian calendar which also had 365 days but no leap year facility so easter and christmas ect were drifting in to the wrong seasons. on adoption a specific number of days were dropped from that year so 11 days were dropped from 1752 for the UK.
    4. Orange
    5. I though 107 years but a quick cheat (or google) suggests 116 years
    6. Big hands or tiny apples
    7. 80 (= or - the centurian and his 3 support staff)
    8. 169
    9. Temujin
    10. (Qi again) No

Martin’s special round…
    3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly = £175+£17.50 so £202.50 but there is no 50p so I guess you should round up to £203
    7. How many points are available in this round? 11

Pictures
    Mrs MSE?
    Churchill
    Nelson
    The elephant man
    odd one out - do they all (but one) share their forename with one of your staff perhaps or maybe you've blogged about all but one???
  • clairus99clairus99 Forumite
    76 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Have googled the monopoly one, and am gutted I got it wrong. We never used to play that rule!

we never got that far without the board and all the pieces flying across the room first! can't seem to do that with the wii/playstation version!
  • clairus99clairus99 Forumite
    76 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    pjsmiffy wrote: »
    Cleopatra was the lover of Caesar and claimed to be a descendant of Alexander. So he came 1st

i just bet he did! ;)
  • kalaikakalaika Forumite
    716 Posts
    The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round
    1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his boat (according to the Old Testament)?None - I *think* the Old Testament doesn't specify how many of each animal were taken.
    2. What was the famous address resided at by Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister? - Just to be awqward - Chequers?
    3. How many days were there in the year 1713? - Not a clue - although I like dhmaria's answer of 7.
    4. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get? - I'll go for orange, assuming pigments
    5. How long was the 100 years war? - Don't think it was 100 years, but other than that don't know.
    6. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have? - Blimey, you would have enormous hands. Or excellent balance.
    7. How many men were in a typical Roman Century? - **shrugs**
    8. How many would you have if you had a baker’s dozen of baker’s dozens? - 13 x 13 = 169
    9. Which of the following was Ghengis Khan’s first name – Ghengis, Temujin, Chin, or Khan? - Temujin looks most likely
    10. Does American salt water taffy contain salt water? - I guess it might once have done, but I doubt it does now.
    Martin’s special round…

Now this is where I let myself go and wrote questions on things I enjoy – my only self-imposed barrier was it had to be on things I didn’t need to look up to know the answer…
    1. Put the following historic figures in order of years they were born, oldest first: 5 POINTS
    Napoleon
    Attila the Hun
    Alexander the Great
    Julius Caesar
    Charlemagne
    Guess - Alexander, Julius, Charlemagne, Attila, Napoleon
    2. What’s the maximum you can score with the word ‘Exiting’ if you have the first go in the game at Scrabble? - 96 I think (1, 16 (X on double letter), 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, double word, 50 bonus)
    3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly - £192.50 (assuming rounding down to £192) - £175 plus 10% interest
    4. Is goat kosher? - No?
    5. Which of the following isn’t a two letter scrabble word acceptable under UK championship conditions:
    AA, EE, LE, OO, QI, ZO - Ummm, LE?
    6. When was the MSE original page launched; not the site, the black and white forerunner? What month and year? - Not a clue. October 1995?
    7. How many points are available in this round? - 11
    The Picture Round

Geez - No idea who the odd one out is as I don't know half of them!
    Is Steve Redgrave the only one kissing an ant?
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • I don't know all the answers to the picture round but I am sure the odd one out has something to do with selling insurance
    Weekly Spend Challenge: £0/£30

• Picture Round:
    Iggy Pop advertises insurance - the rest are Insurance companies. Shiela's Wheels, Churchill, Admiral, Elephant.co, etc.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    col13 wrote: »
    Picture Round:
    Iggy Pop advertises insurance - the rest are Insurance companies. Shiela's Wheels, Churchill, Admiral, Elephant.co, etc.
    Very clever.
    No 7 - Do Virgin do insurance?
  • The first picture is Rula Lenska not sure that fits with insurance either.
  • mochyn88mochyn88 Forumite
    142 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round
    1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his boat (according to the Old Testament)? 7
    2. What was the famous address resided at by Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister? 11 Downing Street
    3. How many days were there in the year 1713? 354 by the Julian Calendar
    4. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get? Orange
    5. How long was the 100 years war? 116 years
    6. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have? Large hands?
    7. How many men were in a typical Roman Century? 80
    8. How many would you have if you had a baker’s dozen of baker’s dozens? 169
    9. Which of the following was Ghengis Khan’s first name – Ghengis, Temujin, Chin, or Khan? Temujin
    10. Does American salt water taffy contain salt water? No
    1. Put the following historic figures in order of years they were born, oldest first: 5 POINTS
    Alexander the Great
    Julius Caesar
    Attila the Hun
    Charlemagne
    Napoleon

2. What’s the maximum you can score with the word ‘Exiting’ if you have the first go in the game at Scrabble?

3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly £600
    4. Is goat kosher? yes
    5. Which of the following isn’t a two letter scrabble word acceptable under UK championship conditions:
    AA, EE, LE, OO, QI, ZO
    6. When was the MSE original page launched; not the site, the black and white forerunner? What month and year? Feb 2000
    7. How many points are available in this round? 11

Pcture round: no idea at all!

Best group of answers I have seen so far.
    Many people think the answer to Q1 is 2 but this is a common fallacy, the answer is 7. Also many people seem to guess at the length of the Hundred years war but it lasted 116 years.

Good title though as many of the answers are not what they seem
  • I just put my answers in a notepad file and cut and pasted. No Googling and no shame in getting the answers wrong :p

11 Downing Street
    Orange
    Big hands! (23)
    Temujin
    No, just salt?

Julius Caesar
    Attila the Hun
    Charlemagne
    Alexander the Great
    Napoleon

Yes

ZO

April 2002

1 Sophia Loren
    2 Iggy Pop
    3 Sheila Hancock
    4 Jefferson
    5 Napoleon
    6 Winston Churchill
    7 Mary Magdalane? (sp)
    8 Samual Beckett
    9 Steve Jobs
    10 The Elephant Man

He is the only smoker?
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides