Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

'The MSE Christmas quiz... can you beat the team?' blog discussion

edited 14 December 2010 at 4:10PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
45 replies 8K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Read Martin's "The MSE Christmas quiz - can you beat the team?" Blog.

NOTE MARTIN WILL BLOG THE ANSWERS NEXT MONDAY

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ‘Is it Obvious?’ round

Question 4

Orange:D

I'll leave the [STRIKE]difficult[/STRIKE] rest of the questions for everyone else.:o:rudolf:

I hope you had a lovely Christmas party.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at MSE Towers.:xmassign:
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • SheelSheel Forumite
    45.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Question 6

Extremely large hands! :D
    Proud wife and Mum to 3 NHS essential key workers.

• waterhouse_melonswaterhouse_melons Forumite
    863 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Answers I'm Having a Punt At

1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his ark (according to the Old Testament)?
    I remember seeing on QI that it wasn't 2 (don't do that QI alert thing! lol), but I can't remember the exact number, something like 12?.
    1. How many days were there in the year 1713?
    Hmm, I remember hearing that there was a year (or was it day?) when nobody died or lived because of time change, so I'm saying none.
    1. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get?
    Orange..?
    1. How long was the 100 years war?
    Very long indeed
    1. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have?
    9, a different person has the 14

Martin’s special round…

Now this is where I let myself go and wrote questions on things I enjoy – my only self-imposed barrier was it had to be on things I didn’t need to look up to know the answer…
    3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly
    200M?

7. How many points are available in this round?
    Best Freebies/Wins/Testers so far: HP Officejet Pro 8500, Vax Zen, Thorpe Park Tks, 2x Rockwell Tkts, Windows 7, 2x Chelsea vs Arsenal Tkts, Genio Phone, JLS Tickets, 2 PSP games, 2 Xbox 360 games, iPod Touch, Blackberry Torch, Westlife Tkts, Tinie Tempah tkts, New York Trip AND MORE...
    Thanks to all posters on here:beer::T
  • That lot is hard with some nasty trick questions.
    R1
    Q1 I don't know but as sheep are food animals more than 2
    Q2 Flat above 11 Downing street as it is bigger than the official address of 10 Downing Street and he has lots of kids
    Q3 Depends on the calender you use (there was a calender change and 11 days where taken off). However the astronomical year would be 365.25 days.
    Q4 Pigment or Light? Pigment is orange Light is White
    Q5 Well over 100years on and off.
    Q6 Big hands...
    Q7 80 although this discounts the usual hangers on.
    Q8 13*13 is 169
    Q9 Khan is king so Temujin,or Chin
    Q10 The legend is it was 1st created by sea spray so prob just a light sprinkling of salt.
    R2
    Q 1 Alexander
    Attila
    Charlemagne
    Julius Caesar
    Napoleon
    Guessed
    Q2 don't know but that should give a bonus for using all the letters.
    Q3 Lots
    Q4 Yes if butchered right.
    Q5 OO
    Q6 Err 1997
    Q7 12

R3
    5 is Nelson
    9 Sir Steve Redgrave

Hope I got 25%
  • q1 2
    q2 11 downing st
    q3 7 m/t/w/th/f/sat/sun
    q4 depends if your mixing pigment or light
    q5 98 years
    q6 big hands!
    q7 ?
    q8 169
    q9 none
    q10 no

picture quiz odd one out Sheila Hancock because i dont recognise anyone else!!

:beer: have a great Christmas.
  • edited 14 December 2010 at 2:43PM
    clairus99clairus99 Forumite
    76 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2010 at 2:43PM
    1. 2
    2. 10 downing st
    3. 354 (i know they added 11 days in about 1751... still took me ages to take 11 from 365 though....!)
    4. orange
    5. about 115 years i think i remember hearing. or it couldve been 15. i know there's a 15 in there somewhere.
    6. very big hands.... or a strange obsession with collecting ipods, etc...
    7. 99 unless you dont count the bloke who leads them, then 100
    8. 13x13 = erm.... can i use a calculator? erm....is it 127? no... it's 169?
    9. i'm going with temujin as that seems the most unusual answer
    10. no but it did originally apparently. i think i heard that on one of the food channels.

special round:

1. not sure... about some of them...

alexander the great
    julius caesar
    charlemagne
    attila the hun
    napoleon

2. 32.... i'm guessing you can double up... having said that not sure if G is 1 or 3 oh !!!!!!, it's 7 letters, so add 50... or is it 70.... ok i'm gonna say it's 82. i guess i got this wrong already.

3. martin i cannot believe you know the answer to this without looking it up first. i think it's a trick question.

4. i would say goat is kosher, esp if killed properly. definitely.

5. am gonna guess LE cos i know QI and ZO are safe. oh yeah, "oo" (sorry i edited this in after seeing someone else's answer, lol)

6. oops.

7. are there points available? oh there are! 11?

picture round

1. dunno
    2. iggy pop
    3. sheila hancock
    4. john adams?
    5. with that hat, i'm saying nelson
    6. no idea
    7. that's not a person, that's a drawing. i suspect i'm wrong in guessing mary...
    8. martin luther? (is he lex luther's ancestor?)
    9. lloyd grossman
    10. john hurt as john merrick aka elephant man

odd one out: sheila hancock as she's the only one wearing ear-rings

i'm sure i got them all right and i didnt google, bing or anything it, honest (lol). but i'm going to now...

(edit: dear god i got loads wrong!)
  • ormusormus Forumite
    42.7K Posts
    1. How many sheep did Noah take onto his ark (according to the Old Testament)? none.
    2. What was the famous address resided at by Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister? 10 downing st.
    3. How many days were there in the year 1713? 347 days
    4. If you mix the colours red and yellow what colour do you get? orange.
    5. How long was the 100 years war? 63 yrs.
    6. If you had nine apples in one hand and fourteen in another, what would you have? fourteen what?
    7. How many men were in a typical Roman Century? 50 men.
    8. How many would you have if you had a baker’s dozen of baker’s dozens? 169.
    9. Which of the following was Ghengis Khan’s first name – Ghengis, Temujin, Chin, or Khan? temujin.
    10. Does American salt water taffy contain salt water? no.
    Martin’s special round…

Now this is where I let myself go and wrote questions on things I enjoy – my only self-imposed barrier was it had to be on things I didn’t need to look up to know the answer…
    1. Put the following historic figures in order of years they were born, oldest first: 5 POINTS
    Napoleon 5.
    Attila the Hun 4.
    Alexander the Great 2.
    Julius Caesar 1.
    Charlemagne 3.

2. What’s the maximum you can score with the word ‘Exiting’ if you have the first go in the game at Scrabble? 55.

3. How much does it cost to UNmortgage Park Lane in a game of Monopoly 800 quid.

4. Is goat kosher? no.

5. Which of the following isn’t a two letter scrabble word acceptable under UK championship conditions:
    AA, EE, LE, OO, QI, ZO. OO

6. When was the MSE original page launched; not the site, the black and white forerunner? What month and year? january 2004
    7. How many points are available in this round? 26.

The Picture Round

Below you’ll see the picture round, you need to name each person, then point out the odd one out and explain why (none of the team managed this – can you?). i cant name them all. so have to guess at the odd one out - lord nelson - he didnt smoke.
    Get some gorm.
  • 1 - 1 sheep ( the other is a ram)
    2 - 11 Downing Street
    3 - guess ... 284?
    4 - orange
    5 - 42 years of actual fighting, I think - or was it 14?
    6 - the silly answer is 23 apples, but of course that is not it --- is it?
    7 - 100 plus the centurion?
    8 - 13 x 13 = 169
    9 - Temujin
    10 - just a pinch of salt, or maybe baking soda

1 - Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Charlemagne, Attila, Napoleon
    2 - no idea, I'm rotten at Scrabble
    3 - umm... don't think you can mortgage Park Lane?
    4 - no, goats have cloven hooves, and are therefore unclean
    5 - EE? ( rubbish at Scrabble, as I said)
    6 - pfff - no idea ( grovel, grovel, sorry Martin...)
    7 - 35

Photos: can't name them all, but think that the odd one out is Elephant Man, as all the others are of the actual people, and this is of an actor playing the part
  • edited 14 December 2010 at 3:32PM
    ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 December 2010 at 3:32PM
    Funny seeing the answers to question 1. So far only 1 person has got it right (Hint: read the question very carefully)
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Round 1.
    Q1. 7 (unclean?)
    Q2. 10 Downing Street. He swapped houses with Gordon Brown as he needed the larger one due to family size. But they swapped the numbers over, too.
    Q3. 354 (change of calendars)
    Q4. Orange
    Q5. 98 years?
    Q6. Giant hands
    Q7. 80?
    Q8. 169
    Q9. Temugin?
    Q10. No (though never heard of it)

Round 2.
    Q1. Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun, Charlemagne, Napoleon.
    Q2. 96 (x=8, g=2, others=1 each; x on double letter(?); double word for centre square; plus 50 for all tiles)
    Q3. £175 (property price = £350, mortgage value is 50%, I don't _think_ you pay extra to unmortgage it)
    Q4. No (guess, based on hooves)
    Q5. LE
    Q6. March 1998?
    Q7. 11

Picture round
    1. Prunella Scales?
    3. Shelia Hancock
    7. Mary (Jesus' mum)
    9. Clive Anderson?
    10. The Elephant Man
    Odd one out: 7 - Mary
    Why? The others were all virgins, whereas Mary wasn't (eventually)

[Am hoping for about 8 points.]
This discussion has been closed.