PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with Duck Stock?

Comments

• wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Lol yes, something along the lines of put an egg white into it (whilst it's cool - otherwise you get a cooked egg white...and yes, I have!) and then you heat it up whilst stirring it and then you get a scummy sediment on the top which you can skim off. I wait to get shot down in flames for the explanation, but it seems to work :o
  • I think broccoli and stilton would be best with chicken or veg stock. Duck stock would be fab with lentils, beans and meaty broths.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I have made stock in the SC from our Christmas duck (it was frozen while we were away) and I am not sure what to do with it.

I was thinking soup with some of the meat we still have, plus a broth mix, but if there is something more exciting I can do I'm happy to hear.

We don;t have much meat, just a few scrapings really as we used the leftovers for pancakes.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi skintchick,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it. This thread might be useful too:

What to do with leftover duck

Pink
  • Hi all

Ok, so I’ve looked through this thread and still can't really see what I’m looking for - although I’m not really sure what I am looking for :confused:

We got one of the ducks on offer from the Co-op to use for Sunday roast today. I have bit of meat left on the carcass and also it came with the giblets so i also have these.

Is there any soup that I could make from making a stock from the carcass and giblets? Any recommendations? How long do I need to boil/cook the carcass and giblets for and with what to get the stock.

From reading other duck threads people recommend making a stock but don't actually say what to do with it (unless I’m being incredibly dense? :confused:)- hence the reason for asking.

Lookng forward to all suggestions :j
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Carcass (with whatever meat is there if you can't be bothered to take it all off) + giblets + onion + carrot + celery. Pop it all in a pot and add water. Bring it to boil, and simmer for 2-3 hours.

Skim the fat off if you want when it's done. Add soup mix, some sweated onion and carrot, potato and bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes and duck broth. Or take the stock, turn it into a base for broth with noodles. In a bowl, some rice noodles, then some bean sprouts, then a few strips of omelette, (some chilli and spring onion if you want) and ladle over boiling duck broth. A drop of sesame oil and a touch of sesame seeds makes it lovely quick easy supper.
  • julieq
    julieq Posts: 2,603 Forumite
    I'd probably avoid using the liver from the giblets, it can make the stock bitter.

Otherwise duck ham and pea soup is lovely.
  • Could I make the broth by leaving the carcass and the giblets in the slow cooker so it's cooking whilst i'm at work and can be ready when I get home :confused:
  • Just pinging this one back up as i'm at home today due to the snow and wondered if anyone may know about doing this in the slow cooker?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi nuttyrockress,

Duck stock is made in the same way as chicken stock. Put the duck carcass and giblets (minus the liver) into the slow cooker with roughly chopped onion, carrot, celery and black peppercorns. Cover with boiling water and cook on high for at least six hours, the longer the better. When it's cooked, strain it into a pan and discard the carcass and veg. Let it cool and if a lot of excess fat rises to the top skim it off. Meanwhile fry the liver in a little butter and eat it on toast for lunch.......mmmmm :drool:

Duck stock tastes fabulous and is a delicious base for french onion soup.

There are more ideas on how to use it in this thread:

What to do with Duck Stock?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport