We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lufthansa: flight cancellation compensation

Options
Hi there guys,

I am currently stranded in Frankfurt airport on my return leg to Heathrow. Snow caused several flight cancellations yesterday evening.

To cut a long story short the service and complete lack of respect Lufthansa showed us throughout the night was appalling. The majority of us were left trying to sleep on the concrete floor without any information whatsoever from Lufthansa as to what was going to happen, all the staff had gone home and no one gave a sh*t. Today it has been pretty much the same story, extremely unhelpful staff, no one at the service centre, and have spent the majority of today queuing.

I'm not going to waste any time and am already drafting my strongly worded complaint but was wondering what my entitlement in terms of compensation is? I have received a measley 10 euro food voucher and have had to shell out 40 euros for wifi access.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Francis

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep receipts for any food, non-alcoholic drink, telephone calls and wi-fi access that you need to buy. If you need to arrange your own hotel, do so and of course keep the receipt. You are entitled to 'care' during the delay, but probably not to compensation.

And in fairness, the lack of information probably reflects the fact that no-one knew what the weather was going to do and so at what time it would be possible to resume flights.
  • WickedWolfie
    Options
    Cityboy wrote: »
    This is the Regulation that applies in these circumstances: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

Print a copy and keep it with you so you know what your entitlements are both for this and for next time.

To be fair to the much maligned Ryanair they now make this document readily available as part of their booking and online check-in process.

Whether they always live up to their obligations is, of course, another story.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport