Cant afford christmas

Options

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have nominated this thread as post f the month btw :) So if anyone wants to go give it their support please do so :) This is the thread
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • the_optimist
    Options
    suzukibabe wrote:
    , just one little question, what can i put with 4 cans of lager for they male family members, apart from alka seltzer!!!!??
    Actually, why not alka seltzer? I think it's a brilliant idea :rotfl:

Also, go to charity shops and see what you can cheaply buy and then adapt. I bought a cross stitch wedding sampler kit for 99 pence (original price £8.99) and a cream colour pillow case for 25 pence (there is nothing wrong with it/ no marks). I am now making lavender bags out of the pillow case for my friends with their initials cross stitched (lavender is from the garden)

This year money is very tight for me, too, but thanks to all these great tips here, I know my presents won't look any cheaper than last years (maybe even better?!):T :T :T
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    I use christmas as a test to myself to see how much i can get for as little cash as possible!

I shop thru the year in sales, use boots points for 'luxury presents' for special people. Use discount codes on online shops, try for freebies. This year my parents are getting a movie night hamper with alcohol i already have, a dvd (bought in a sale), popcorn i already had and will buy a bar of choc, hopefully on some deal in Asda. This year im also making fudge and other sweets.

Once people have children they stop getting gifts and only the kids do. Only adults we buy for are brothers and sisters with no kids, my parents, my aunt (she never had kids), OH's step father and wife. Rest are kids that are getting bargain toys ive bought, cheap craft sets ive picked up, or clothes from Adams when i traded my Nectar points in. OH is also getting a CD from Nectar points.

Only person im willing to spend out on is my DS. He will be 5 just days before xmas so its a lot of cash to lay out over a short time but while hes the only child we like to make the most of it.
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Little freebie that always comes fast to add to hampers http://www.originalsource.co.uk/free_sample/ I ordered one for myy granadad the other day and just received it. Nice little thing for a hamper. :)
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Jillie - yes thats excly it - liek a wheat bag but with rice (for the love of god please dont use instant rice though!! - just plain shop brought normal rice)

i find these really good - im making one for my nan and grandad who are both 65+ and my grandad has bad arthritus so it will help sooth his knees as well as keeping him warm.

Am also making one for my son (2), ME!!! my mum, my auntie, and my pooch. They are fairly easy and inexpensive to make - even better if you get cheap tescos rice you can probably use a pillowcase, cut it in half width ways - made the end with the sealed edge slightly smaller than the open ended side, fill the piece with the sealed end with rice, sew up the opening, there you have the basic pouch, then the other end (the open end of pillowcase - ie the other slightly bigger half of pillowcase) you could sew up the end without the over lip bit tht helps keep the pillow in. - there you have the cover for the pouch. Dont sew it up, btu the warm pouch will stay insid ethe same way a s the pillow does adn you can remove the rice pouch when the cove rneeds washign easily

am going to sit down and make a few of these later on tonight i think - have a few pillowcases that are past their best but ideal for this and lots fo material to be used
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    am i right in thinking them that u pop it in microwave for a couple of minutes to warm up?
    think i'm going to make one for his grandma( she's 82!! and odnt know what else to get her) so i'll need to tell her what to do with it
    Thanks sammy!!:T
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out your local pound shop as well they have some fantastic things. Remember its the thought that counts not what you spend on people.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,675 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jilie - yeah you put it in the microwave for about 1.5 - 2 minutes depending on preference of how hot you want it and remember to shake the bag after takign it out fo the microwave otherwise it could be hot in places.

Im making a few to mainly use as bed warmers in the colder weather - didnt like the idea of giving my 2 year old a hot water bottle for fear of him burning himself or laying on it and it popping. btu a rice bag works fine and i put it in his bed abotu 10 minutes before he goes in it so hes cuddly and warm in bed then i just boost it when im goign to bed by putting it back in for another minute. My dog also has one too to keep him warm because hes a short haired jack russell and has taken to sleeping in the hallway:rolleyes:

other cheap idea's.

hampers wise - why not go to poundland - they have sets of bath crystals (3 for £1) a pack of 3 bath bombs (also £1) and a foot spa set (£1) and if you find a pack of cheap sponges or luffahs (sp? no idea) then you have a papmering gift set right there for only £3. - £3.50

handbags - for younger girls why not go to a charity shop and buy a few pairs of childrens jeans. Cut off the legs and sew the leg holes up, then using one of the legs cut a strip to make a strap and stitch that to the jeans waistband - taadaa!!! one handbag for a little lady - obviously thats super basic but you get the idea. you can also use the other leg fo the jeans to make a matching purse with
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    Our local Sainsbury's was selling white ceramic bowls with POPCORN embossed on the rim for £2.49. Excellent for making a night in hamper with.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi

Here's a link for the voucher idea that was posted by another MSE'er ages ago.

http://www.fun-vouchers.org.uk/

If you press select , there is a drop down menu with lots of great ideas or you can make your own up.
    You could even do a lucky dip with the vouchers which would be fun with your family.:D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure