Cant afford christmas

Options
:cry: i dont know how this year i can afford xmas. OH has had a week off sick from work and as it was a new job and here less than 6mths he loses a full week pay. we are already stretched with our DMP and i cant see how i can buy any presents for anyone let alone each other. i have written a list of people to buy for and even with just spending £10 per person i will still struggle. i just cant wait for this year to be over!
has anyone any ideas on how i can make it cheaper. we go to his family on xmas day so have no expense there just our own drinks for night time.
'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you thought about homemade pressies...? I did see a post somewhere where someone was going to make a small Christmas cake for her family members.. maybe you are a good cook and could do something similar.....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jillie, I am in the same boat, after everything is paid out, I am left with about £10 to buy clothes, pay for school things and xmas. All we have coming in is £110 a week because OH is on the sick.

We have made hampers for most people, I have done 5 so far and jammed them full of things and I have spent £22 all together. Have a look round the hamper threads to get ideas, you can probably do most people for about £5 a head.

Oh I just noticed, you live about 5 mins away from me :D
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, i'm not the best cook in the world or creative though. its just reassuring to know other people are in the same boat. i've sent off for some free samples to do a few 'beauty' hampers for SIL etc i'll have a look at that thread though. i just want it allover and its still weeks away!!
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • ikkleosu
    ikkleosu Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    £10 can be quite a lot to spend on people - kids etc especially. Search the Poundshops etc buy things for £1 that can be taken apart, then you can mix and match them with your own special touches to make them seem much more expensive.

Humour is a great free gift that can make a cheap gift seem much more expensive. Group together a couple of really cheap pressies, in a theme and write a silly poem to go along with them.

As for you and hubby, why not make each otehr somethign really special and free - write each other some vouchers for special things you can do for each other - massages, special meal, whatever it is makes you happy.

Also freebies, freebies, freebies! regularly cheap the freebies board. I've had some great stuff to use as christmas presents. Even stuff like free pens, stickers and baloons can all be gathered together as craft kits for kids.
  • Phatmouse
    Phatmouse Posts: 449 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you all doing this to yourselves. Its one day out of 365. Its a time to spend with family who unless they are a bunch of s***s will not care if they get a present off you. When you are wishing your life away and the year over in October its time to give yourself a shake take stock and forget about christmas. :D
  • sara1980
    sara1980 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    i'm the same.....by the time the bills have been piad i'm lucky to be left with £50..& that's before the weekly shop, which is for 5 of us.
    i just keep picking up cheap pressies, smellies, board games for the kids etc.

try home bargain, instead of selection boxes for the kids buy a few cheap bars of choccie & put them in a hm stocking (i'm sure someone will have a pattern for one) or one from poundland, you can tailor them aswell then to what the child likes....

there was post on the freebies board a couple of weeks ago for a free Martina Cole 'Faceless' book from woolies, I got 2 today, going back friday for a couple more, if you know someone who likes to read these would be perfect, the voucher has to be redeemed by 29th october(this sunday)
  • hobbesy_2
    hobbesy_2 Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    I know it sounds very unhelpful and cheesy but Christmas is not about the money. And, if it makes any difference I am in no way religious I just feel very strongly about it being a time for family. I have a large familly and have learnt over time that I really don't need to spend what I think I do. Quite a bit is forward planning but you are not lost yet! As has been said, poundshops are your friend, if you have not been in one before go now, yu will be suprised what tings are in there, its not all rubbish I promise. Things like picture frames are great as you really cannot tell half the time just how much they cost. Also a lot of my local charity shops have purposefully got gift sets, etc in their 'bric-a-brac' sections. Usually brand new and for a lot lot less than they sold for originally.

I'm sure there are enough people on here to give you inspiration when you need it and a helping hand too

Keri -x-
    hey there's no money but we couldn't be happier if we tried
    £2 coin pot - £92!
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jillie, go to instore in Bury, they have got loads of things on sale at the moment, including books, smellies ect.

OH gran and grandad are big book people, instore are doing all their books down to 50p so we are getting about 5 and putting them in a little basket for them, it will cost about £4.50 and thats a prezzie for 2 people.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Hay_2
    Hay_2 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    For drinks could you make a big bucket of punch with cheap wine and punch mixer?
    Plus there are fab offers on various cases of lager/bottles of wine etc at most supermarkets....
    Pound shops,Charity shops,Freecycle....
    Definately the home made stuff too.Do you have kids?At woolies there is half price paint your own plate/mug etc kits at £4.For grannies and grandads to get a personalised pressie from the grandkids plus a few chocs shoved in would be nice?
    New Year~New Start!!:beer:
    Getting on back on the moneysaving wagon in 2009!

January grocery challenge~ £400 Spent £49.55
    £100 clothes for a year~Spent £0
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chin up chuck :) if you're not already on there join up with quidco and pigsback :) get OH to do it too so you can get 2 accounts on Pigsback, read the pigsback thread and get some vouchers (you should be able to get £20-30 at least my christmas I would have thought).

Then there is the fab ideas of Hampers from above, have a look at the hamper thread on here :) If you can get your hands on fruit still (did you freeze any blackberries?) you could make jam and buy some nice jars (99p from Ikea for a really nice one) and maybe a christmas cake (I'd say maybe work out at £4-5 per person) that's all for adults :)

There are loads of ideas around like the dustpan cookies too :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport