Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow sammy thats good going

some fab ideas there :D
  • ikkleosu
    ikkleosu Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    Just want to say that this is abosultely the best place to look to make sure you get the best value for your cash at Christmas.

2 years ago I hadn't discovered this site and I bought all my Christmas presents in December in town. What a fool i was.

So far this year i've got:

For my elderly aunt: A pashmina (Free from Comfort), a DVD fo 3 musicals (£6.49 from HMV on thier 20% off weekend)
    For my cousin (25): big chunky belt, silver handbag, glittery scarf, earrings and necklace. (50p per item from Claire's special)
    For my friend: 4 pairs of cute boyshorts from Dorothy Perkins (worked out at £1 each due to using 25% off DP discount code)
    For varies children:
    Barbie game (£5 from Amazon reduced toys )
    Spray Art set (£2.50 form Amazon as above)
    Sleepytime baby toiletry set (£4 BOGOF from Boots)
    5 piece sleep sets (£6 thanks to Tesco 20% off kids clothes)

I also have rolls of wrapping paper 50p each form Woolworths, 40 cards for 20p from Superdrug.

They all come from offers and alerts I've seen on these boards.

Keep an eye out and snap up the offers when you see them and it's amazing the difference it makes.
  • freebie_fairy
    Options
    I get some good bargains from poundstretcher, Asda and Wilkinsons
    glove, hat and scarf sets from £2.99
    slippers £1.99 for kids £3.99 for adults
    spa bath bombs £1.79p
    dove shower set £3.49
    adidas gift set £3.98
    umbro gift set £2.95
    teddy and lip gloss 99p
    kinder selection 97p
    diaries and address books £1
    bob the builder figures £2.99 - £4.99
    body shop and lush are good for freebies
    home made fudge or cookies are easy and cheap (add peanuts and raisins, cinnamon, ginger,chocolate or coconut to make them more interesting)
    don't get too stressed about how much to spend - christmas is about spending time with the family not how many presents there are.
    I get loads of helpful advice from MSEs so keep scanning the threads and freebie chat. Good luck
    A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist :j
  • Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a couple of ideas for home-made gifts:

I've bought some cheap and cheerful wooden photo frames from Ikea (3 for £1) and am going to let my girls decorate them with felt-tips, glue, sequins, etc. It will be messy but good fun, and our family and friends always love getting pressies that the girls have helped to make.

Last year I bought some christmas tree chocolate molds, DD's 1 & 2 put cake sparkles in the bottom of each mold and then we melted down some dairy milk bars and poured the chocolate on top of the sparkles. When the chocolate has set, turn them out and you have sparkly chocolate christmas trees to wrap up and give to people! I ate a few myself, they were very yummy :D

This site is one I find useful for home-made presents: https://www.organizedchristmas.com It's an American site, so some of the recipes are measured using cups, but that's easy enough. There are some great ideas for pressies that look good and are cheap and cheerful to make: Snowman Soup (a mug with a sachet of hot chocolate, some mini marshmallows and a candy cane), candy cane bath salts (these look really pretty) and chocolate spoons (plastic spoons dipped in melted chocolate a couple of times to give them a thick coating, great for stirring hot drinks) are some of the gifts we'll be giving to family and friends this year.

There are also some gift tag options on the site to print out, some of which come with poems (Snowman Soup http://organizedchristmas.com/article64.html)
  • suzukibabe
    suzukibabe Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, you lot have made me stop worrying about pressies for the family, going to write down some things from this thread and go shopping to make my own hampers, just one little question, what can i put with 4 cans of lager for they male family members, apart from alka seltzer!!!!??
    If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride then we'd see the day when nobody died.
    ROCK IT DON'T STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's worth the prize is always worth the fight
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I am not skint and I am certainly not tight, but in our family we only buy presents for the children and for adults without children. We used to buy presents all round I have 5 siblings all with partners and we have 8 childen between us, you can imagine how much it cost and how much stress to find the perfect present for BILs etc. ( And how many useless presents we all ended up with LOL)

I host Christmas day at our house, anyone (family and friends) is welcome for dinner, tea or both or can just drop in for a drink. We all have a good day, we don't spend a fortune but everyone enjoys it and they keep coming back.

As someone said above it's just one day and the people who love you would be devastated to know that you are feeling so bad about the whole thing hope you feel better about it now.;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • susie76
    susie76 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of my family were feeling the pinch last year (and, alas, will be this year), so we did pressies for the kids with a £5 limit (easy to stick to for other peoples kids, ), and then a secret santa for all the adults (£15 limit). My partner and i did (ahem, adult) i o u's, we spent about £40 each on our two kids (managed to sneak in extra stocking fillers by buying 3 for 2 or bogofs for other peoples children, and giving ours the "free" present.) We did give presents to grandparents from the kids, but they were photos in home made frames so ridiculously cheap, and asked all friends to stick to the kids only rule. Christmas was not only much less stressful, but actually more enjoyable, as not only did we have the satisfaction of doing it without using credit cards, or going overdrawn, we saved enough to be able to buy a lovely bottle of baileys to treat ourselves!!
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    suzukibabe wrote:
    Wow, you lot have made me stop worrying about pressies for the family, going to write down some things from this thread and go shopping to make my own hampers, just one little question, what can i put with 4 cans of lager for they male family members, apart from alka seltzer!!!!??

A DVD voucher and popcorn?
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • poppielia
    Options
    Hi.
    I have an idea for cheap pressies for children aged 3-10 years old.
    I have gone into poundland and other cheap shops and picked up lots of different pens (gel pens, glitter pens, felt tips ect) and pencils, some normal ones, some coloured, some that you have to click for the colour to come down), kiddies funky erasers (have butterflies, hearts ect also boys ones too).
    I have picked up cheap calculaters, rulers and pencil cases and i either give a pack of each of these for every child or i make a readymade pencil case up for each of them. I have also picked up some sets from poundland that have coloured paper,card, stickers in them and these are great for either stocking fillers for your own kiddies or for giving to friends children instead.
    The reason i do this is because my 8 year old daughter LOVES sitting for hours just colouring and drawing and also because i remember that when i was a child that i adored getting this kind of stuff that was all mine and that i didnt have to share with my little brother.
    If it doesnt help this christmas for you it might be a help for you next year when you can pick those bits up bit by bit during the year.
    I went to my local poundland yesterday myself and picked up a few more stocking fillers for my daughter.
    Also i dont know if you have a Matalan near you or not but i went the other week and picked up some really lovely childrens pj's and nighties for about a fiver each. (not cheap nasty looking stuff either!)
    Take care and am glad you are looking forward to crimbo a bit more now.
    2007 Competition challenge.( Win back my ntl internet costs for a year) Target £220 Have won so far = £9.99 Loreal revitalift pot of cream. and = £14.95 Royal mail smilers stamps!

Weight loss challenge started 3/1/07= Target 5 stone/ loss so far 3 stone and 4lbs (yay!)
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my grandson some dot to dot books at the weekend. He's 4 and loves them. Not only do they help with teaching numbers and alphabet but he colours them in after. Cost each 29p form Wilkos
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport