We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ryanair blame cancellation on snow to save money

Options
We were due to fly from Edinburgh to Fuertaventura on Tuesday afternoon. There was a fair bit of snow around but when we got there the airport had opened and things were moving. Our flight was due at 1:45pm but it was delayed and then we were told we would be going at 4:30pm. We saw the plane land and taxi up to the gate and after a while it was announced we would be boarding. A few minutes later I saw the aircrew get out of the plane and walk off. Then it was announced the flight was cancelled.

However other planes were landing and taking off. I took video of the notice boards showing departures and arrivals and these went on for hours after.

There were some cancelled flights, but these may be due to planes being out of position. The planes that were there were working except our one.

Ryanair have said the cancellation was due to adverse weather conditions.

Myself and the other passengers don't agree,we think that because there was only about 50 passengers booked onto the plane Ryanair have taken advantage of the situation to cancel the flight as it wasn't economic to fly.

Does anyone think that might be possible.

Thing is I can claim compensation if it can be shown the plane could have gone if Ryanair had done 'everything possible'

there were other ryanair flights that took off about an hour after our's.

Is it worth pursuing ?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    All because some other flights were running, it doesn't mean that yours could. The same happened with BA and BMI to LHR, the BMI flight went but the BA one didn't - sometimes a short time can make all the difference.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Scots
    Scots Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean. We had already waited 3 hours so waiting another while would not have bothered us. As it happened it stopped snowing just when they cancelled and the airport remained open till the next day. Surely they could have delayed the flight instead of cancelling. Othe Ryanair flights were shown as delayed and they eventually took off about an hour later, so why couldn't our's ?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe the delays because of the bad weather had caused your crew to exceed their flying hours?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 December 2010 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Article 5.3 of EC 261/2004 says the airline has to provide proof of 'extraordinary circumstances' if they think they apply to you flight.

Www.flightstats.com can be helpful.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • dmg24
    Options
    Scots wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean. We had already waited 3 hours so waiting another while would not have bothered us. As it happened it stopped snowing just when they cancelled and the airport remained open till the next day. Surely they could have delayed the flight instead of cancelling. Othe Ryanair flights were shown as delayed and they eventually took off about an hour later, so why couldn't our's ?

Staffing issues/ the plane needed to go elsewhere? In theory every flight that hits difficulties could be delayed until the weather is clear, but this just is not practical.

Have you rebooked onto the next available flight?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Airlines should have crew on standby to fly aircraft, not having crew is bad airline management not extraordinary circumstances.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Scots
    Options
    No there was no other flights so I got a refund. But I lost my hotel costs.

As Richard says it was not extraordinary circumstances.

Under what circumstances would compensation be due if all the airline has to say is they couldn't be bothered flying, or they messed up the staffing.
  • Scots
    Options
    Maybe the delays because of the bad weather had caused your crew to exceed their flying hours?

We were called to board the aircraft. It was right in front of us. It was being refuelled and the deicer guys were standing by to hose it down.

So no I don't think there were any such issues

Oh and our cases were already on board. It took them nearly an hour to get them back off.
  • dmg24
    Options
    We were called to board the aircraft. It was right in front of us. It was being refuelled and the deicer guys were standing by to hose it down.

So no I don't think there were any such issues

Oh and our cases were already on board. It took them nearly an hour to get them back off.

But you don't know that? Your title stated that Ryanair cancelled the flight as a moneysaving measure, but you have nothing to back that up as fact.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Airlines should have crew on standby to fly aircraft, not having crew is bad airline management not extraordinary circumstances.

From an outstation, when the country is covered in snow?
    No there was no other flights so I got a refund. But I lost my hotel costs.

As Richard says it was not extraordinary circumstances.

Under what circumstances would compensation be due if all the airline has to say is they couldn't be bothered flying, or they messed up the staffing.

Surely you had insurance for your hotel?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family