We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help my gerbil has had a stroke..

Comments

• I agree with that comment about small animals & vets. The journey to and from the Vets is a major cause of stress for them, and in my experience the Vet doesn't have much to say when you get there.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    How's the little guy doing today?
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • He's still quite weak, but later today I decided to reunite him with his buddies, mainly due to him knawing at the hospital cage :cool:

Seems he has settled back in well & the other 2 gerbils seemed very happy to have him back in the clan. Both spent time giving him a good clean & general heath check :)

Hopefully, he keeps getting better & stronger each day. I will be keeping a close eye on him, but things looking good!
  • Well, seems my gerbil hasn't really gotten any better :(

I'm not sure he'll see the week out, very sad.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ah no, thats bad news. At least he's had a good long life for a gerb.
    You have done your best for him.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Thanks picklepick.

I'm feeling very sad at the moment because there is nothing else I can do for him. It's so frustrating when you find there is nothing you can do for your pet, I just wish there was.

I won't give up hope however, whilst he is still here it's a postive thing & I guess I could get better.

Got to clean them out tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to, don't want to disturb him, but I also have to think about the healthy two & their wellbeing.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I'm so sorry that your Gerbil is very ill,it's not nice when a pet is ill,you feel so helpless.

Sending thoughts & prayers your way.
  • I hope your wee boy is perking up? Sending best wishes and healing vibes to your little one.

I used to love having wee Gerbils so cute & loving with big personalities! xx
    Returning member as system did not know me anymore :cry:
  • Had to clean the tank today & the poorly gerbil was too weak to run away.

I have put him in the "hospital" cage again & if he dosen't improve I intend taking him to the vets to get him put to sleep.

Very tough & I am devestated, especially after just loosing the 1st gerbil a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts & words, they are much appreciated.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    So sorry he's not improving.Taking him to the vets now is really the kindest thing to do.He could linger on for days in pain ,and i know you would not want that for him.It is a tough decision to make,many many pet lovers have to do it for their animals and they always say afterwards it is a relief to know they are not suffering any more.

Making that final decision is what makes us good and caring owners.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.