Fitting a log burner help

Options

Comments

• woodward30
    Options
    I have had a Stanley multi fuel stove removed and want to replace it with a multi fuel woodburner with a back boiler. Can this be fitted into the chimney the Stanley used which did not have a liner. Also does anyone know about Salt fire Stoves. They are sold in Wareham Dorset via e-bay and very cheap £520 for a 12kw with back boiler.Also does anywhere sell good second hand ones.It is a minefield.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be very, very careful about buying a stove via eBay. Heaven knows, I'm wary enough about some of the bricks and mortar retailers I've encountered!

You best bet would be to ask around for personal recommendations. If you're determined to go online, I get the impression that www.stovesonline.co.uk know what they are talking about, but they aren't the cheapest.

You're right, though - this is a minefield.
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Got to agree wih A Badger.

You could look at reviews at whatstove.co.uk as some usefull feedback has been left on various stoves. May help.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    woodward30 wrote: »
    I have had a Stanley multi fuel stove removed and want to replace it with a multi fuel woodburner with a back boiler. Can this be fitted into the chimney the Stanley used which did not have a liner. Also does anyone know about Salt fire Stoves. They are sold in Wareham Dorset via e-bay and very cheap £520 for a 12kw with back boiler.Also does anywhere sell good second hand ones.It is a minefield.
    Hi woodward30

I've had a clearview stove for 15 years and it still looks and burns as good as new so would have some bias on what to recommend .... you'll need to consider whether you need/want features such as an airwash to keep the glass clean & if you live in a smokeless area look for cleanburn certificated stoves .... remember that a unit with an integral water chamber will have a lower burn exhaust gas temperature and will therefore cause more tar buildup in the chimney unless it's SS lined.

I'm in a smokeless area myself and although the unit I have can easily be retro-fitted with a boiler, I seem to remember that the cleanburn exemption would be invalidated if fitted ..... so best not then ....

A good stove manufacturer should provide details of the diameter of flue you will require for their various models, so it's best to check what you have available before selecting make/model ..... as for second hand, if you choose to go this route ensure that all of the seals (door etc) are in good order and there is no damage to the air flow intake controls before making a decision ....

Whilst thinking about checking what you have before selecting the stove, remember to also consider the hearth space available in front of the stove as well as clearances between the stove pipe an any combustable materials (wooden mantels etc), as what's available could possibly restrict what units you should consider and still comply with building regs.

Having said all this, I'd always go for a new unit from an established make with a good reputation and ensure that it's well fitted, as my fire still burns away whilst I'm in bed !!

Hope this helps ...

Cheers .... :)
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2010 at 9:29PM
    Options
    montrose5 wrote: »
    Cheaper stoves tend to be steel rather than cast iron and, I am told, don't last as long(which seeing as the cast iron ones last longer than many people is not too bad). Flue is really expensive, worth hunting secondhand for it.

Absolute rubbish unfortunately. Check out Clearview, Charnwood, Lotus, Dunsley, Woodwarm….to name but a few. All top end highest quality stoves in the world and all steel!
    It’s down to what you pay and how heavy it is….if you can carry it under one arm it’s rubbish….if it’s £300 it’s rubbish……people don’t make quality products as good as ‘named brands’ and sell them for !!!!!! all. If the product is good they’ll charge good money.
    It’s like saying a Kia is as good as a BMW or Audi…..they’re not.
    Look at spending around £120 per kW on a stove and you’ll get something decent.

spookycat wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question in a similar vein if you please. We'd like to fit a wood burner to power the central heating but don't have a chimney. We do have a flueless gas fire insitu atm (broken) will it fit there and what do you need instead of a chimney, or is it a complete non-starter?

You’d require a twin wall insulated flue. These supplied and installed are usually arouns £1100 for single storey and £1800 for two storey. They’re very good flues and hardly need sweeping due to keeping the flue gases hot.

Hapless wrote: »
    Installer should be HEATAS qualified and the installation whether done by HEATAS or not should be done to building regs (J I believe but not 100% sure)

It should be done to building regs whoever does it. If your HETAS registered you are classed as competent and able to sign it off…….if anyone else does it you must notify building control….they’ll charge around £150 to inspect and sign off. They don’t usually know what they’re talking about when it comes to chimneys though and they don’t accept any responsibility for the installation so there’s no guarantee that the install is safe and complies.
  • calebdylan
    calebdylan Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    don't do it by yourself ask for an experts advice else go for the dealer...........
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

I agree with the last couple of posts .... unless you really know what you're doing and can 'tick all the boxes', ask for expert advice and seriously look at having the unit specified & fitted professionally .... do take care to ensure that you're not 'ripped off' on the installation though .... check out the cost of sourcing any materials for yourself, then make a reasonable allowance for the labour involved ... you'll then be able to 'negotiate' a sensible installation price on a firm footing as many sharks swim in this sea .....

Cheers & good luck ...... :)
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • nearlyrich09
    Options
    Using a HETAS registered installer should save you a lot of hassle with Building Regs but make sure the installer gives you the pink copy of the Certificate, that he installs a metal compliance plate near the stove, and that he sends the white copy of the Certificate to HETAS. Chase it up with HETAS to make sure they've received the white copy and that HETAS have then registered the installation with your local authority (this is important if you ever want to sell your property). The installer is supposed to send the Certificate to HETAS within 30 days of completion. I used a HETAS installer, I received the pink copy of the Certificate but the compliance plate was not installed, and the white copy was not sent to HETAS. 6 months later my installation has still not been properly registered. I have been chasing HETAS since November last year! So be warned.
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Sound advice above.......there are a lot of fitter around that aren't even HETAS registered. Each company should have a registration number and each inidvidual engineer has a unique registration number. Also postcodes, business names.....etc can be checked on the HETAS website to make sure they're legit.

The certificates should actually be submitted to HETAS within 7 days but this is a bit daft. We prefer to save up 20 or so and then post in bulk. It saves a lot on stamps and is les time consuming.
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok have read through this post and am worried now. A couple of months ago my landlord fitted a woodburner, with the flue etc, he then "secured wood boarding above it to block off the chimney" - i didn't think anymore of it as i don't know any different however i got home yesterday to find that the wood board has caved in and there was soot, twigs n all sorts all over my fireplace. Now i've been told today what he's done is illegal and dangerous - can anyone advise please?
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport