Options
124»

Comments

• Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To mazdamansport

I have never said that I was 'physically mobile'. I am more mobile than I was this time last year, true, but it can take many months to regain complete mobility following a second revision of hip replacement and I don't walk very far yet.

BTW the hip problems are not 'age-related' which is something you mention. They are familial. My daughter had both hips replaced when she was 35, she walks with a stick, and when you speak about 'being fortunate' enough to have the 'luxury' of owning a car, she, like me, would not be able to live her very busy life without her car. I can't see what's so 'fortunate' about owning a car or that it's a 'luxury' - I've had a car for the last 30 years and it's just a normal way of living. I know a lady who's just had her 90th birthday and still drives - her husband is visually-impaired and without their car they would be really limited as to where they can go.

The point about direct debits is that you don't HAVE to remember what goes out when. They just do - automatically.

I could say a lot in response to your words about me being 'pompous', but why bother. I don't say that people should not do as they please, whatever makes them happy, but they should not then complain about the disadvantages i.e. not being able to pay their TV licence which is where this thread started. BTW there is a PayPoint in our local post office so presumably there is no reason why every post office could not have one, thereby solving the problem. Every time I've gone into our post office I've not noticed people stopping to chat, treating it as a social centre - there are other places for that.

Margaret

As per the last posts you are missing the point because you don't agree with other more logical points of view.
    Pray tell where anywhere in this thread have I quoted any comment whatsoever about your hip problem:confused:

As far as owning a car is concerned you fail; to see the point that many people of pensionable generation can ill afford the luxury of a car that is why public transport (even in it's limited form) is vital to people. Your talking about people complaining about their disadvantages. Isn't that what this thread is all about otherwise you wouldn't be complaining about others less fortunate than yourself "whingeing". You sound so perfect that you don't complain:A Oh to be perfect. By the way you are fortunate to own a car as many pensionable people to not have the disposable income to be able to run one, and many may well have lost their partners as well. I can see why you don't see people chatting in your PO maybe you put across your friendly, happy go lucky manner.......... What do you think:confused:
    Your point about not having to remember about direct debits is quite silly. People go to their local shop/PO because it gets them out and about and gives them a reason to be alive DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT:confused:
    It is professionally stated that when people let their minds become lazy their bodies become lazy and that unfortunately is heading down a steep slippery slope.
    And finally pray tell where these people who often live out on their own can find these social centres that you mention. I would expect that many PO landlords would give you an argument over how people view the local Postmaster;)
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    islandman wrote:
    Maybe now we should consider the subject well and truly discussed?

Yes, absolutely.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Pray tell where anywhere in this thread have I quoted any comment whatsoever about your hip problem.
    No, you stated this morning: 'by your comments you are physically mobile'. I have never 'commented' any such thing.
    As far as owning a car is concerned you fail to see the point that many people of pensionable generation can ill afford the luxury of a car that is why public transport (even in it's limited form) is vital to people. Your talking about people complaining about their disadvantages. Isn't that what this thread is all about otherwise you wouldn't be complaining about others less fortunate than yourself "whingeing". You sound so perfect that you don't complain.

By the way you are fortunate to own a car as many pensionable people to not have the disposable income to be able to run one, and many may well have lost their partners as well.
    Yes, I 'lost' my first husband in 1992, I have more 'disposable income' now than I had then, but it was still essential for me to have my car in order to get to some of the jobs I had to do. When he died I was redundant and still had a mortgage, so getting about in order to earn money was essential - I wanted to keep the roof above my head. I couldn't have got to some of the jobs by any other means.

BTW some of the people I describe as 'whingeing' are NOT 'less fortunate than I am', some of them are MORE fortunate, and some don't appreciate just how fortunate they are.
    I can see why you don't see people chatting in your PO maybe you put across your friendly, happy go lucky manner.......... What do you think.
    Your point about not having to remember about direct debits is quite silly.
    It may be 'quite silly' to you but it is a valid point nevertheless. It is one more boring thing that you don't have to think about - there are many more interesting things in the world, why have to worry about 'did I/didn't I pay that bill' when modern technology will do it for you.
    People go to their local shop/PO because it gets them out and about and gives them a reason to be alive DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT:
    It is professionally stated that when people let their minds become lazy their bodies become lazy and that unfortunately is heading down a steep slippery slope.
    Heaven help us all if the only reason for being alive is to go to the local shop/PO.

Yes, I know about not letting the mind become lazy, that's why I'm doing GCSE Maths (NB: I need the car to get there, the college is too far from the town centre!!) and also, struggling to learn and translate poetry in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) - now THERE'S something to prevent the mind becoming lazy!

I have recently become interested in container gardening and that is something that many more people could do even with some physical limitations.

And finally pray tell where these people who often live out on their own can find these social centres that you mention.
    Well, a lot of older people get 'bussed in' on market day. There's a mini-bus run by the local Old People's Welfare Committee which brings people in from surrounding villages, and a lot of people do all they need to do on that day. The Day Centre, also run by that committee, puts on a subsidised lunch 5 days a week and usually there's some kind of activity, like bingo, to follow.

Our church has a Women's Fellowship group on Monday afternoons which is attended by a lot of older ladies, and there's always time for a cup of tea and chat after the speaker. They knit for foreign charities and they fill shoe-boxes for 'Containers of Hope'. Another of the churches has a similar thing on a different day. There's another day centre - DH goes there once a month to his computer club, and they're organising a Christmas meal. We went to Kew Gardens with the computer club back in May. There's a regular coffee-morning in the WI Hall. Most of the local pubs do a subsidised lunch one day a week. I don't think there's any scarcity of things to do, to join in, no one need sit at home and be lonely. The mini-bus above is a proper 'sitting ambulance' so people in wheelchairs etc can use it. There are also volunteers, like my DH, who goes out to help people with their computers in their own homes - he has gone to people in their 80s - 90s and recently he was asked to give a talk on banking security to the computer club, which he did.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, you stated this morning: 'by your comments you are physically mobile'. I have never 'commented' any such thing.

Yes, I 'lost' my first husband in 1992, I have more 'disposable income' now than I had then, but it was still essential for me to have my car in order to get to some of the jobs I had to do. When he died I was redundant and still had a mortgage, so getting about in order to earn money was essential - I wanted to keep the roof above my head. I couldn't have got to some of the jobs by any other means.

BTW some of the people I describe as 'whingeing' are NOT 'less fortunate than I am', some of them are MORE fortunate, and some don't appreciate just how fortunate they are.

It may be 'quite silly' to you but it is a valid point nevertheless. It is one more boring thing that you don't have to think about - there are many more interesting things in the world, why have to worry about 'did I/didn't I pay that bill' when modern technology will do it for you.

Heaven help us all if the only reason for being alive is to go to the local shop/PO.

Yes, I know about not letting the mind become lazy, that's why I'm doing GCSE Maths (NB: I need the car to get there, the college is too far from the town centre!!) and also, struggling to learn and translate poetry in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) - now THERE'S something to prevent the mind becoming lazy!

I have recently become interested in container gardening and that is something that many more people could do even with some physical limitations.

Well, he would, if he could take his head out of his Arabic newspaper for long enough.

Well, a lot of older people get 'bussed in' on market day. There's a mini-bus run by the local Old People's Welfare Committee which brings people in from surrounding villages, and a lot of people do all they need to do on that day. The Day Centre, also run by that committee, puts on a subsidised lunch 5 days a week and usually there's some kind of activity, like bingo, to follow.

Our church has a Women's Fellowship group on Monday afternoons which is attended by a lot of older ladies, and there's always time for a cup of tea and chat after the speaker. They knit for foreign charities and they fill shoe-boxes for 'Containers of Hope'. Another of the churches has a similar thing on a different day. There's another day centre - DH goes there once a month to his computer club, and they're organising a Christmas meal. We went to Kew Gardens with the computer club back in May. There's a regular coffee-morning in the WI Hall. Most of the local pubs do a subsidised lunch one day a week. I don't think there's any scarcity of things to do, to join in, no one need sit at home and be lonely. The mini-bus above is a proper 'sitting ambulance' so people in wheelchairs etc can use it. There are also volunteers, like my DH, who goes out to help people with their computers in their own homes - he has gone to people in their 80s - 90s and recently he was asked to give a talk on banking security to the computer club, which he did.

Margaret
    Thank goodness for human beings and their local Post Offices. Now it's time to go and watch TV;) Oooopsss Have I been down to the PO to pay my licence

Take Care;) Live & Let Live:beer:
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure