This make me furious

Options
I have recently received my TV license reminder and have been informed that no longer is this renewable at the Post Office. The new way id via PayPoint outlets shops and the two closest to my house are listed. HOWEVER, these are shops that are not convenient as they are passed on my way to town in the bus. I looked on the net for other in our town and thought I'd renew the license there, WRONG, it seems not all PayPoint outlet shops have the machinery to accept cards, so without that amount of cash handy, I had to leave. On returning home, I saw there was an 0870 number to call if there were problems, 0870 high premium, I looked on saynoto0870 and found there was a FREE number available so called that number and complained.I am of the opinion that not all people have access to the net, some may no even have a phone, finding that the paypoint shops will only accept cash, will lead to many people being forced to carry large sums of money about. Then to think that they are forcing this wretched 0870 number on us when they have a free one, is the last straw. I've emailed TV watchdog, now here, even if it is in the wrong section, so be it. This has to be addressed now. Don't you agree ?

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can pay by direct debt, by debit card or by credit card via the internet or phone.

Or you can pay by paypoint or by cheque.

Unless this is for the Cash easy entry, where it is only paypoint locations.

The address for the cheque to be sent is on their website.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/waystopay/index.jsp

Look here for alternatives to 0870

http://www.saynoto0870.com/numbersearch.php

Murtle

x x

ps I think this should be on the Vent board ;)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Easiest way is, pay by direct debit. It's not such a big amount, goes out every month, no worries about having to go to a PayPoint, remembering to do it etc.

Or pay by cheque if you want to do it all in one lump.

Only problem then is - there are STILL people who are resisting having a bank account therefore no direct debit facility and no cheque-book.

When will people come into the 21st century?

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    I pay by direct debit and am happy to do so. But I know lots of people who won't as you pay in advance.

Paying for many things can be a total pain & paypoint would not be an ideal method of payment for me. I use the net or direct debits for as much as I can. 0870 numbers are robbery, I hate having to phone them, especially when it's for something that is not my fault.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes I know only too well the methods by which you CAN pay. The point I was making, was that the reminder says you CAN pay either by cash or card, when in fact you CAN'T in some outlets. Equally the fact that they give the 0870 number and NOT the 0800 number is wrong.Like most of you, I have no probem with paying either way. What I tend to do though is look slightly further than myself, to those who for whatever reason do not have the knowledge or ability to speak up or fend for themselves or have family or friends as support. Afterall, what is the old saying "there but for the grace of god go I".
  • margaretclare
    Options
    What have family and friends got to do with it? This is something that everyone who has a TV set has to pay. Regardless of whether we think what's on there is worth watching, which is another issue!!!

This is just another bill which has to be paid on a regular basis, at least until people reach the age of 75! IMHO it's no different from paying for any of the other goods and services we receive - gas, electricity, water etc. I agree with the argument about services being lost to the Post Office because IMHO losing local post offices is just part of the England which we're steadily being robbed of. The post office in our little town centre has got a PayPoint, and until I read your post I wondered what that was all about - now I know. About being forced to carry large sums of cash about - this is something that I've been concerned about but there are people who appear to LIKE carrying large sums of money about. They go down to the Post Office every Monday morning, you can see a line of about 30 people out there waiting until it opens at 9 am, and they draw out all their pensions or benefits in cash and carry it away with them!! Unsafe, or what?

I don't get a TV licence reminder, they just renew it automatically and the money goes out every month from the joint account that DH and I use just for paying household bills.

I wouldn't bother phoning any of those numbers either.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps we could raise the debate about the television license ,a state enforced tax,forcing us to contribute to a fund which gives us no choice.
    We all applaud when the government no longer forces the over 75's to have a license,a life time to have free viewing.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • margaretclare
    Options
    It's over 75 not over 80.

A lifetime to have free viewing? I'll look forward to that. 4 years to go....(tongue very firmly in cheek).

IMHO it's all part of the stereotype of what the powers-that-be think older people do. Although, it's true of some people. I was in hospital last December and in the next bed to me was a woman my age who 'couldn't do without' the TV soaps, Strictly Come Dancing, the lottery programmes, all those kind of things. 'Don't you watch them?' 'No, I don't watch any of those'. 'What do you watch then?' 'Wildlife programmes mainly, things I wouldn't be able to see otherwise. I've no interest in watching people screaming at each other at soap-style weddings and funerals'. She couldn't understand why I was quite happy reading a book!

Margaret
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    Options
    Thought stimulating activities,mental agility,because we need those little spark reactions to keep operating in our brains.What-ever suits the individual,what-ever rocks your boat.This site can help in that respect,if you go to bed after being on online and your mind is racing with ideas that is healthy,of course not being able to get to sleep is irritating.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    It's over 75 not over 80.

A lifetime to have free viewing? I'll look forward to that. 4 years to go....(tongue very firmly in cheek).

IMHO it's all part of the stereotype of what the powers-that-be think older people do. Although, it's true of some people. I was in hospital last December and in the next bed to me was a woman my age who 'couldn't do without' the TV soaps, Strictly Come Dancing, the lottery programmes, all those kind of things. 'Don't you watch them?' 'No, I don't watch any of those'. 'What do you watch then?' 'Wildlife programmes mainly, things I wouldn't be able to see otherwise. I've no interest in watching people screaming at each other at soap-style weddings and funerals'. She couldn't understand why I was quite happy reading a book!

Margaret

There are loads of people like that......most of them not elderly.

The majority of people watch tripey programmes and never read a book.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    Options
    alba37 wrote:
    I pay by direct debit and am happy to do so. But I know lots of people who won't as you pay in advance.

No, you don't pay in advance .... the direct debit facility (monthly) spans the due date. So you pay 6 months in advance and 6 in arrears. So it's 'net neutral'.

But if you're just going onto DD then you do have to get to that 'spanning' point. Which means you have to pay your first DD year in 6 months (unless you sign up 6 months before your current licence expires). But even paying your first year in 6 months is better, depending on how you finance, than having to pay the full year at the outset?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure