🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

christmas trees tinsel or real?

Options

Comments

• mum2cara
    Options
    artifical in our house :)
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    has anyone seen a house with christmas decs up yet?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Flowfy
    Flowfy Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    has anyone seen a house with christmas decs up yet?

No, but i saw a house fully dressed for halloween last night in Timperley, Cheshire. Lights, life size figures etc. I don't know how long they have had it up but as it was the 19th, they are 12 days early at least. It was very nice though and a surprise, driving down the street.
  • prosaver
    Options
    i think after bonfire night is the norm for those who are keen ,
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Artificial for us, it can go up earlier then :D I've also ditched the 'colour scheme" thing I used to do - matching everything with gift wrap and baubles etc. The last few years we have had a multi coloured assault on the senses :rotfl: even managed to acquire some original 70's foil pull out ceiling decorations with little cardboard cut out trees , we have the full tinsel and gold lame (sp.?) theme again this year, if only I could afford the vintage 70's gift wrap on eBay :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • prosaver
    Options
    Tinsel tree for me again .using the same stuff ..minimal look again...
    Getting old
    .I put decs really late about a week b4..
    left them up 4 ages , last in the street to take them down ..ha ha
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents always had a real tree when I was growing up (except one year in the 70's when we could not afford a tree and dad painted twigs with silver paint left over from touching up a rusty chrome bumper and we hung decorations off them) . When I was a child we had a new tree every year, when I got older my parents would buy a rooted tree and get 4 or 5 years out of it by 're potting it and keeping it well watered on the patio .. untill it became too big and was then planted in the garden .. the bottom of dad's garden now resembles a Christmas tree sanctuary.

My tree on the other hand is a 3 foot artificial one decorated in silver and blue with no tinsel whatsoever.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have an artificial tree that we brought in the sales after Christmas nearly 25 years ago as we knew we were moving into our first house together a few months later....this was our first joint purchase.

We still have this Xmas tree and it looks as good as new and it now represents so many wonderful Christmas memories for us....our first Xmas together, our first Xmas with our firstborn....our first Xmas with our second born child.....lots of happy Xmas day memories of our children growing up....the happy family Xmas day dinners with relatives ( some whom have since passed away) .

Anyway this tree has been decorated in lots of different ways over the years but it's still the same tree underneath and we will keep it as long as we can, as each time it is pulled out of the attic all these beautiful happy family memories come flooding back to us all.....and Xmas wouldn't be Xmas without this tree now
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    After years of dithering, and being concerned with storage space, I happened to see a display of artificial trees in my local Tescos with slim-line boxes, and brought my first Christmas tree. I think it cost me about £50, all in with plenty of deccos and lights. I adored having it last year!

Growing up, we had 2 trees, one real and one artificial. They were both lovely in different ways, I couldn't choose a favourite!

I love all things Christmas decs, so my tree and everything will go up on the last weekend in November, and then down again sometime in the days leading up to 12th night. I love putting everything up! I light some candles, have some xmas music playing and perhaps have a little glass of wine. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts