We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Smoking Fine

12346»

Comments

  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    i bend the terms and conditions not break them so im not a fare dodger.

    i just feel that dazz has been hard done by. the walter mitty that reported him was very heavy handed and should have just asked him to put the ciggy out but no reporting him gave walter his daily kicks.
    It's been 'illegal' to smoke on station platforms for over 2-years now. How is this different to smoking on a train? I'm assuming you wouldn't be so forgiving if he was smoking whilst on board a train?

    How is bending the Terms & Conditions of a rail ticket any different to breaking them? I'm interested now. If you diliberately 'bend' the terms & conditions of your rail ticket, you're a fare evader.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    23rdian wrote: »
    Genuinely interested, why do people ever give their real details?

    Don't pay. It's a nanny state victimless "offence".

    I'd hardly call the Kings Cross escalator fire a few years back 'victimless'. I'd hardly call bush fires in Australia and other parts of the world - even those not started deliberately - 'victimless'
  • Stigy wrote: »
    It's been 'illegal' to smoke on station platforms for over 2-years now.

    i wish people would read the whole thread first before posting it saves them from making stupid statements ;)

    yorkie2 posted here that you can smoke in scotrail managed stations

    would luv to discuss ticket terms and conditions but this thread is about smoking
    Fares Advisor & Oyster Specialist - Newdeal/ukRail Fares Workshop Accredited
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    i wish people would read the whole thread first before posting it saves them from making stupid statements ;)

    yorkie2 posted here that you can smoke in scotrail managed stations

    would luv to discuss ticket terms and conditions but this thread is about smoking
    And your point is? I'm not sure how far Scotrail venture out, but I'd imagine they probably remain in Scotland. Regardless, the OP wasn't at a Scotrail managed station, was he?

    Feel free to PM me with how bending the T&Cs of rail tickets is lawful.

    BTW, I've read this thread all the way through, afterall, I was the second poster, so it stands to reason.
  • geordie_taxi
    geordie_taxi Posts: 434 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2010 at 1:56PM
    Stigy wrote: »
    And your point is?

    the only point i wanted to make was that your statement was incorrect. ;)

    your statement made a general impression that smoking at a station platform was banned throughout the UK. i know the OP is not from scotland but your statement could cause confusion to scottish smokers who can by all rights have a ciggy if they follow the guidelines

    BTW happy that uv read the thread now :T
    Fares Advisor & Oyster Specialist - Newdeal/ukRail Fares Workshop Accredited
  • Just remember Scottish smokers, Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central are managed by Network Rail and not Scotrail, so are smoke free zones.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • dazz7400
    dazz7400 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi guys, sorry it's been a while. Been having trouble getting on to reply. I've read through your replies thoroughly and I've came to the decision to just pay the fine and forget about this whole episode! Being this time of year I was going to find it difficult to pay up, with it being Christmas and New Year and also being unemployed.

    I planned to pay it with my Jobseekers payment i received last week but the CSA have continued to take the full payments of child maintenance which i was paying when i actually had a job, after i phoned up to make them aware of my change in circumstances. Then again when i phoned up just to make sure they were aware after reading some horror stories regarding CSA online. They completely wiped my account but that's another story.


    Thanks for the support. I am glad I managed to get the payment down to only £65 and extend the time in which it had to paid. I would never of bothered to contact them had i not got the advice from here.

    Thanks
    RBS Overdraft - £700
    Vodafone - £509
    Orange - £516.39
    Total Due
    £1725.39
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    dazz7400 wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry it's been a while. Been having trouble getting on to reply. I've read through your replies thoroughly and I've came to the decision to just pay the fine and forget about this whole episode! Being this time of year I was going to find it difficult to pay up, with it being Christmas and New Year and also being unemployed.

    I planned to pay it with my Jobseekers payment i received last week but the CSA have continued to take the full payments of child maintenance which i was paying when i actually had a job, after i phoned up to make them aware of my change in circumstances. Then again when i phoned up just to make sure they were aware after reading some horror stories regarding CSA online. They completely wiped my account but that's another story.


    Thanks for the support. I am glad I managed to get the payment down to only £65 and extend the time in which it had to paid. I would never of bothered to contact them had i not got the advice from here.

    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted!

    I know it's not an ideal situation, and to be honest I usually deal with smokers with a verbal warning first, giving them every opportunity to put their ciggy out. But these situations are enforceable, even if the correspondence leaves alot to be desired in this situation!

    Thanks for taking the time to update us!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.