Forum Home » How much have you saved?

Frugal Living 2010 - the final stretch

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Frugal Living 2010 - the final stretch

edited 10 November 2010 at 9:37PM in How much have you saved?
238 replies 25.7K views
cw18cw18 Forumite
8.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 10 November 2010 at 9:37PM in How much have you saved?
This thread is for those who've been taking part in the Frugal Living Challenge for 2010

We're having a change of 'host' for 2011 (still to be agreed upon as to who), but so that Frugaldom can utilise her time better with her own priorities I've kicked off this thread for the tail end of 2010 - meaning she doesn't need to feel obliged to bob in and post as often as she can make time to do so

I'm sure everyone will join in with me in wishing Frugaldom the best in her personal ventures, and in saying a huuuuuge 'Thanks' for the support over the last few years :beer:

========================================================

As many are aware, this challenge was started up by (and run for several years by) Frugaldom

You can find the original thread for the last quarter of 2010 here

I always found the following (in the header of each of the previous threads) to be a useful reminder as to what the challenge was/is about, so have chosen to quote it here
IMPORTANT.
Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

The challenge is about living a frugal lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), Vegetable & fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cashback sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt. For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS, not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
Frugal = thrifty, living without waste
People join in with this challenge for all kinds of reasons.

For some it's all about wanting to live on as little as they can while paying off debts/mortgages.

For others it all about building up savings - either so they have a 'rainy day' fund, or so they can have the holiday of a lifetime, or (in the case of one of our members) so they can start up their own business.

For another group (myself included) it's because income has dropped but bills still have to be paid. So by doing this challenge we are ensuring we watch where our pennies are going.

The most important thing - for all of us - is to ensure that our outgoings are never more than our incomes.

Each persons budget is different due to circumstances, some of which are covered below
  • how much of our income we're prepared to spend on the necessities of life
  • what we class as a necessity
  • what we include in our budgets for this challenge (some people exclude work expenses, and this year I've been excluding the expenses related to my garden, getting fit, and a bit of a social life)
  • how many people there are in our household
  • where we live (I have easy access to supermarket Whoopsies while some people don't have easy/local access to a large supermarket, so this is obviously refected by a difference in grocery budgets)

This challenge is NOT a competition to see who can live on the least amount of money, either as a household or on a per person basis.
This challenge IS about ensuring we only spend what we can afford/are comfortable with spending, and we share hints and tips to help others reduce spends in 'problem' areas.
Cheryl

Replies

• mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cheryl for doing this
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 21)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • slowlyfadingslowlyfading Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hear hear!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE :)
  • Thanks a mill for starting this Cheryl. :T
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • fuddlefuddle Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    whispers again because i'm not in the challenge but.... i've just done my budget for next year £9000. Think I need to do it again :eek:
  • I will defo be here next year :) - my third yr of the challenge, but with baby due anytime now (due 20th nov) - i couldn't commit to running. Why can't a couple of people run the thread together BTW...... (not me tho lol) - you could take it in turns to reply to threads - like one person is in charge 1st-10th the month, another 11th-20th etc etc???

Looking forward to the final run til 2011 :)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • I'm another one not officially on the challenge, though I was a couple of years back. Looks as though I've dropped in at an interesting time! Thanks, Frugaldom, for everything you've done over the years: you've inspired so many people. :T And thanks to Cheryl for taking on the work. :T

Erme, have you thought of putting up chains? I find these very useful and cheap about the house - just ordinary lightweight chain from the DIY store. Get one with large enough links and you can hang it from nails or hooks, you can hang hooks (maybe butcher's hooks) from the chain, you can move and rearrange them easily. My kitchen roll is on a length of chain between two cuphooks screwed into a shelf, my extra toilet rolls are stored on another chain to keep them off the bathroom floor, my fanlight window has a chain attached so I can pull it without dislocating my shoulders. At the moment I'm planning a chain to go in the airing cupboard so I can attach clothes hangers to it. The hangers can be spaced out and won't slide up and down because each hanger hook will go through one link of the chain. ;) And if you get tired of one way of using the chain, you can recycle it into something else. It's very adaptable stuff.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you frugaldom for all your hard work. Will we still be able to keep up with you on your blog/website?

I am glad that people still want this to continue. There are not many friendly threads on here.
    Most of them I steer clear of because they can get so nasty.

Our lodgers have settled into their new home and I am slowly getting things back to normal in the house.

I will soon be sorting out my paper work so I will be able to see how things went this year moneywise.
  • JayneCJayneC Forumite
    912 posts
    grandma247 wrote: »
    Thank you frugaldom for all your hard work. Will we still be able to keep up with you on your blog/website?

I am glad that people still want this to continue. There are not many friendly threads on here.
    Most of them I steer clear of because they can get so nasty.

I'll second that grandma. This thread and the daydream challenge are the only threads I tend to frequent these days. I really feel like you're all friends and I look forward to hearing what you're all up to even if I've nothing to post at the time.
    It'll be great to hear how everyone did at the end of the year and even if we didn't quite get there we'll still support each other - Gone all soppy now, sorry XX

To completely change the subject my play starts next week. This time next week we'll have done our first performance - I'm really excited and scared at the same time. Wish me luck x

And good luck everyone with the last days of our challenge x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • edited 10 November 2010 at 2:24AM
    enjoyfinancialchallengesenjoyfinancialchallenges Forumite
    244 posts
    edited 10 November 2010 at 2:24AM
    I'd love the forum to continue also so thanks cw18 for stepping in to finish this year off. I dont post very often as it often feels a bit clique and I seem to be very much on the outside most of the time. I continue doing as much as Frugaldom suggested as I can and obviously I'm nowhere near as frugal as she is however the whole concept of this forum grabbed me as being careful has been how I've existed for years. I log in from time to time and catch up with things and people and am grateful to all suggestions from other forum members but don't have much spare time to comment daily and neither do I think most of my ideas would be of much use to most of you anyway. I'm finding just looking after myself and trying to keep healthy and well and make my income go round is as much as I can manage day to day.

Many thanks to Nyk for starting and guiding us on this forum, I hope she looks in from time to time as her posts are an inspiration for me and probably many others. X
    Keep to £400 a month on C/C.
    :j
  • Kerry_WomanKerry_Woman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    cw18 - Thanks for starting the new thread.

Frugaldom - Thanks for all your hard work. Wishing you all the best for your future.

I definately want to continue in 2011. Still not finalised my budget as yet.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2020: May the force be with you NSD 19/20
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support