Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Went to Cuba over 15 years ago.  Fantastic & then there were no Americans obviously.  There were a lot of Canadians & it may be that if wanting to go from North America to Cuba it may be easier to go from Canada.  Although I have heard that to actually see the sites is not as easy/pleasant as it once was.  I do hope it hasn't changed because one of the really great things about it was there was no colour prejudice whatsoever.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NedS said:
    Enjoying reading the traveling tales :smiley:
    This week marks entitlement to a full state pension in the bag for me, fully paid up and ready for retirement. One step closer...
    Same here! Nice feeling knowing that I've accrued the necessary NI years for full State Pension. 
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2022 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Hello.

Looks like this will be the year when I finally cease all forms of paid employment (consulting or otherwise).

Lol
    Haha, are you sure ??? :D
    I nearly went March 20 but from a financial perspective glad I decided to stay, though do feel stressed by work.
    i anticipate a VR scheme in work over next few months and just hoping I get accepted, so will hopefully retire at 56.5 years. 
    Always a difficult decision about how much is enough, balanced against future health considerations. 
    There will always be people with a lot more money than me, but think it will be a good balance for me to retire now.

Money SPENDING Expert

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bluenose1 said:
    Hello.

Looks like this will be the year when I finally cease all forms of paid employment (consulting or otherwise).

Lol
    Haha, are you sure ??? :D
    I nearly went March 20 but from a financial perspective glad I decided to stay, though do feel stressed by work.
    i anticipate a VR scheme in work over next few months and just hoping I get accepted, so will hopefully retire at 56.5 years. 
    Always a difficult decision about how much is enough, balanced against future health considerations. 
    There will always be people with a lot more money than me, but think it will be a good balance for me to retire now.

I dream of a round of redundancies - VR or otherwise. I am not going to be that 'lucky' I suspect. I know it would be awful for most people but, for me, it would be enough to pull the plug even earlier.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl said:
    I saw my only wild penguin (so far) in Milford Sound - I agree that the drive from Queens Town was better than the boat trip.

We went to Doubtful Sound rather than Milford, on the recommendation of someone who stays in New Zealand. I really enjoyed it, but I have very few comparators.

We also went to Otago to see Blue Penguins come ashore at dusk. They come in a group, known as a raft, and then go off to their burrows. It was an absolutely amazing experience. Astonishing how such little creatures can bring so much pleasure. 
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We missed the blue penguins as there was a tennis tournament on at Dunedin which meant there was zero accommodation available so we just cut across to Queens Town. Next time!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback