Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 5 August 2022 at 11:19PM
    Options
    I've just found a rather surprising and very unforeseen benefit of this thread. I plan to make a "Contingent Decision" argument under the regulations arising as a result of the McCloud judgment (which affects me), with the argument being that I would have made higher voluntary pension contributions had I not been moved to the Civil Service alpha pension scheme in April 2015 (as pension inputs under the alpha scheme are higher than inputs under the older schemes).
    That would be extremely hard to clearly evidence in the normal run of events, just relying on data about income, pension contributions and pension inputs to make the argument, but looking back at a post of mine in this thread from 13th April 2014 I wrote (page of comments here, for reference):
    So far, ISAs have been largely neglected in favour of pensions in my plans, so only have about £40K in ISAs now but that will start to rapidly increase from this year onwards. It will accelerate in 2015/16 as by then I will have used up all my Annual Allowance carry-forward and won't be able to pension off all my higher rate income.
    I'm fortunate in having kept all key financial records for the period, P60s, Self-Assessment returns, details of pension contributions and Pension Saving Statements for the full 2015-2022 period, so all of that data along with the evidence of a stated intent with a clear date stamp on a large public website should bring about a water-tight contingent decision argument :D
    It was also extremely interesting looking at a few other posts around that time - 8 years ago - to see how what I was planning back then has turned out. Our ISAs are now up to £333K and some of the other things I wrote at that time are:
    The extra flexibility (talking of the then recently announced pension freedoms), plus a slightly better past year than forecast, has brought forward my viable retirement date from 2022 to 2021. Earliest possible date is 2018, 2020 just about doable, 2021 viable and 2022 most likely date. The earlier dates are only possible in the event of inheritance or redundancy offer as they would involve too much of an income sacrifice.
    As it turned out, we did get one inheritance but it was about a quarter of the maximum amount which could have been possible (which is a good thing, as it means there was only 1 death). We were going to leave in 2021, only for it to be postponed due to COVID. Our actual leaving date ended up being 26th August 2022 so very much in line with planning from 8 years ago.
    As well as risk of policy change, the main uncertainty left is how to manage the transition between work and retirement and home ownership. Ideally, I'd have a mortgage which is paid off with pension income which would really help balance liquidity efficiently between pre and post age 55 periods. However, when I retire I want to go travelling for a couple of years before returning to a completely different part of UK. Ideally I'd sell house before going travelling but that isn't conducive to keeping a mortgage...so perhaps I might reluctantly rent out house, which should enable me to keep and in due course port a mortgage to a new property when sold a couple of years later. Something I'll worry about as the time gets closer though.
    I ended up paying off my mortgage in 2020, but will be renting my house out when we go traveling. Plan A is currently to return to work after traveling for a short period (up to about a year at most) during which time I'll buy our retirement house, hopefully using a no-fee offset mortgage such as this. The mortgage will immediately be fully offset, and so provide a no cost pool of easy borrowing should we end up needing it before I can access DC pensions at age 57 which will then provide a nice capital reserve and if necessary be used to once again fully offset mortgage. So slightly different to the approach outlined above, but very much consistent with the line of thought back then.
    I find it very interesting that despite the finer details of our plans changing a lot, such as the exact age I take each pension, paying off mortgage earlier than anticipated, and higher than expected DC returns (and to a lesser extent, ISA returns), the overall plan has proved very resilient and the outcome in 2022 is almost exactly as I anticipated in 2014 following the big change arising from pension freedoms. It is fair to say there have been quite a few shocks and unexpected political and world events in that time too.
  • rjmachin
    rjmachin Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Map of places already visited

I see from your map that you have yet to visit western australia.

If you come to go in that area, I have visited Perth many times over the years, and one place we love to visit when we can is a small island that you can get to via Ferry from Perth which is called Rottnest Island.

It's home to the quokka, a small wallaby-like marsupial.

They have a wide variety of accommodation that you can choose from Camping, to a hut, to a big Hotel.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,641 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rjmachin said:
    Map of places already visited

I see from your map that you have yet to visit western australia.

If you come to go in that area, I have visited Perth many times over the years, and one place we love to visit when we can is a small island that you can get to via Ferry from Perth which is called Rottnest Island.

It's home to the quokka, a small wallaby-like marsupial.

They have a wide variety of accommodation that you can choose from Camping, to a hut, to a big Hotel.
    I'd love to see a quokka - they are almost cartoonlike in their cuteness
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    Many congrat's hugheskevi.  It's finally here!

I hope you (both) have a wonderful time.  Something tells me you'll be absolutely fine financially..!😁
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, I second the dedicated diary thread!  I am sure all of the regulars on here would like to know how you are getting on from time to time.
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • DreamingofGreece
    Options
    I haven't posted on this thread previously but read it regularly.  I'd be interested to read a dedicated diary thread from @hugheskevi as I have serious travel (and early retirement) envy 😎

Their plans for the next couple of years travelling sound amazing, hope you have a fabulous time!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback