St James Place Wealth Management

Options

Comments

• schoolrunmum
    schoolrunmum Posts: 2,689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We looked at using them, but when the advisor turned up at our house in a chauffeur driven car we wondered who would be paying for it! Went with Brewin Dolphin in the end. We've been pleased with them..
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • gunboat4
    gunboat4 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anyone~? i understand the stocks go all the way up............. and all the way down. however i ask again could i turn on sky news one morning to hear sjp have folded and our money has......been lost???????????/ thankyou
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gunboat4 wrote: »
    anyone~? i understand the stocks go all the way up............. and all the way down. however i ask again could i turn on sky news one morning to hear sjp have folded and our money has......been lost???????????/ thankyou
    Surely you haven't got your money invested with them, but with a company or companies recommended by them (for their fat fee)?
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2013 at 11:41AM
    Options
    You might be interested in this article about LloydsTSB selling part of their holding in SJP a few days ago. Their remaining holding is 186 million shares.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/03/12/lloyds-banking-group-raises-520-million-pounds-fol.aspx

There are about 500million SJP shares in the market and LloydsTSB sold 101million in one lump this resulted in a 3% fall in share price.

SJP have about £35billion under management at present for 140,000 clients.
  • Beatrice89
    Options
    We looked at using them, but when the advisor turned up at our house in a chauffeur driven car we wondered who would be paying for it! Went with Brewin Dolphin in the end. We've been pleased with them..

I may be worth reading the following article on Squidoo public-transport-vs-luxury-chauffeur-car as you may be very surprised to find it is cheaper to use a chauffeur car than use public transport.....or perhaps in the near future.:rotfl:
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    Options
    Beatrice89 wrote: »
    I may be worth reading the following article on Squidoo public-transport-vs-luxury-chauffeur-car as you may be very surprised to find it is cheaper to use a chauffeur car than use public transport.....or perhaps in the near future.:rotfl:

Not surprised when I looked at the cost of a Rail ticket for Bath Spa to Windsor at £90.40 return if you want to get there prior to 10:30am.
  • Polly_Sparky
    Options
    If we have invested with SJP in various funds I guess this still means all our eggs are in one basket?
  • ukclare
    ukclare Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options

Or more likely, he had spent too many evenings celebrating after clinching the deal and driving home!!! :beer:
  • chopperman79
    Options
    I have done thorough research into SJP.

Firstly, they are not independent. They are therefore pushing there own products. This is not advice, this is SELLING. Therefore you are going to get there product whether you like it or not.

Secondly, all "partners" are well versed in sales tactics to make you depart with your hard earned cash. Again, SALES. It is no co-incidence that SJP was born out of allied Dunbar, or allied crowbar as they are know. All the plush marketing material is very slick, BUT YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT.

Lastly, they are very expensive - look at fund charges - they are very sly and try to add charges here and there. For instance, on thier funds in thier pension there is a fixed 1.25% amc, then for some funds there is is additional charges taking AMC well over 2% - they then have BID/OFFER spreads of around 5%!

Please people - if you want to preserve your cash do not use SJP - if you need help with your financial matters go find a decent IFA.
  • gunboat4
    gunboat4 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a direct debit of a £100 that goes into an isa, this has been set up by sjp. their charge is £5 each month. when the markets start to stall and drop again this monthly input will only be making up market losses.? not sure what to do??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure