We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
OS Daily Thursday 4th November
floss2
Posts: 8,030 Forumite
Good morning
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Thursday 4th November. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people mayaslarge pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.
Oooh, I've always wanted to do that!
Am wide awake and full of curiosity for a couple of reasons today, bombshell of news about my employers on Monday was clarified yesterday.... it looks as though we have to find savings of 19% of our overall budget, 25% of which will be in the division in which I work. This WILL mean between 800-1,000 staff being lost, in a town where we are in the top employers with NHS. Hey ho, at least I am not one who has to make the decision about what will be cut. Will just keep going in & doing what I do until told otherwise.
Other reason for being awake is that we still have no boiler/ch. British Gas have phoned a friend and invited an engineer from the boiler manufacturer to take a look.....so instead of going away with DH while he is working, I am using a day's leave to entertain not 1, but 2 gas engineers! Am a bit fed up of it all by now, but we can't see an early end to the saga. We do have an immersion heater though, so we've got hot water for baths & washing-up, and 2 oil-filled rads.....the increase in electric use will hopefully be offset by using no gas for the past couple of weeks
Have got a great long list of things to do while waiting......ironing (to keep me warm!); cleaning (dragging Dyson around will also get me glowing!); listing some things on Ebay; cleaning windows; cleaning & dusting our bedroom as it looks a bit like Miss Havisham's boudoir in 'Great Expectations' with a Watership Down of dust bunnies under the bed
DH is away until tomorrow night, when we've got rugby anyway.....international rugby on TV for the next 5 Saturdays (4 matches + Barbarians - possibly with Gav from Strictly) for those who are interested!
Right, am away to make a brew, flick on the immersion & start my chores......will no doubt be back later!
Hope Csarina's OH soon starts to improve now he's at home, and that Redruby's & Dazi's parental worries soon ease.
Love & hugs to all who would like one,
Floss xx
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Thursday 4th November. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people mayaslarge pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.
Oooh, I've always wanted to do that!
Am wide awake and full of curiosity for a couple of reasons today, bombshell of news about my employers on Monday was clarified yesterday.... it looks as though we have to find savings of 19% of our overall budget, 25% of which will be in the division in which I work. This WILL mean between 800-1,000 staff being lost, in a town where we are in the top employers with NHS. Hey ho, at least I am not one who has to make the decision about what will be cut. Will just keep going in & doing what I do until told otherwise.
Other reason for being awake is that we still have no boiler/ch. British Gas have phoned a friend and invited an engineer from the boiler manufacturer to take a look.....so instead of going away with DH while he is working, I am using a day's leave to entertain not 1, but 2 gas engineers! Am a bit fed up of it all by now, but we can't see an early end to the saga. We do have an immersion heater though, so we've got hot water for baths & washing-up, and 2 oil-filled rads.....the increase in electric use will hopefully be offset by using no gas for the past couple of weeks
Have got a great long list of things to do while waiting......ironing (to keep me warm!); cleaning (dragging Dyson around will also get me glowing!); listing some things on Ebay; cleaning windows; cleaning & dusting our bedroom as it looks a bit like Miss Havisham's boudoir in 'Great Expectations' with a Watership Down of dust bunnies under the bed
DH is away until tomorrow night, when we've got rugby anyway.....international rugby on TV for the next 5 Saturdays (4 matches + Barbarians - possibly with Gav from Strictly) for those who are interested!
Right, am away to make a brew, flick on the immersion & start my chores......will no doubt be back later!
Hope Csarina's OH soon starts to improve now he's at home, and that Redruby's & Dazi's parental worries soon ease.
Love & hugs to all who would like one,
Floss xx
0
Comments
-
Hi everyone. Floss - sounds like a busy time for you this week! Hope that BG do their bit and that your job is safe. It's a nerve-wracking time for a lot of people.
REdruby - hope your dad has a better day today.
Well, I've been MIA for a couple of days. DH has been working elsewhere this week so, although there's been no progress on our house, I've had a bit of time to myself and everything has stayed tidy! I was a bit miffed when I had to use some of my precious time to take him to work yesterday, then pick him up in the evening, because his van had sprung a leak - typical when time to myself is so rare these days. He will have to take a look at the van and we're really hoping it's something he can fix himself. We've spent a small fortune getting both vehicles road-legal here in France, and the red-tape has been unbelievable - the last thing we need is to have one of them off the road.
Anyway, enough from me. I haven't had a chance to read the thread for the last couple of days so I hope to catch up later.
We've had a mixed bag here weather-wise but it's been fairly warm lately - a change after a spell of waking up to a hard frost a couple of times last week.
Dinner tonight will be chicken curry with some left-over chicken, so that will be an easy meal. I have a few chores to do then I will take a look at my present stash and see how far I am towards Christmas, maybe even write a few cards out. I bet I get interrupted, though, and end up helping with plastering or something, so I won't hold my breath.
Hope you all have a good day.
KathyXXKNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:
Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 20 -
Morning :hello:
Csarina, good to hear your OH is home
Redruby, it sounds like your dad is improving, hope it continues. Obviously your mum will still worry, but tell her I said to have a night off - hot bubble bath, candles, body lotion. Tru's orders, and I won't take no for an answer
So it's november - how did that happen? I don't think full time work agrees with me. I certainly don't agree with it
I thought once the hours had settled down and become regular, I'd find it easier, but I seem to be getting more and more tired. I'd just got used to one part of the work (and was sailing though it), then on monday someone said "You know all those orders you've done? Well it's all starting to arrive" and it's been one lorry load after another. The paperwork has been moved about (depending on whether the customer has paid or not, whether it's being just delivered, delivered and fitted or collected by the customer). I'm well and truly out of my depth, I'm running round like a loon and getting nowhere 

I've just about kept up with the washing and the animals, but that's it. If I ask her to, miss tru will happily dust, put the washing out when the machine's finished etc, but if I don't mention it, she doesn't seem to see it, lol. She's the only person in the house who has a part-time job, and I'm thankful for that at the mo, I need her around
Well I'd better go and let the chickens out then get ready for work. I read a quote somewhere, "The brain is a wonderful thing, it starts working as soon as you wake up and carries on until you get to the office". So true :rotfl: :rotfl:
EDITED - I've just re-read Floss's post, I didn't realise Dazi's parents were having problems too. Hugs to you Dazi, I'll catch up with this week's Dailies later.Bulletproof0 -
Morning all
Wet & windy here today, the weather that is, not me.
DW's been emptied, fish fed, packups made, breakfast eaten & hubby dropped at the station & I'm off to work soon.
Sausage & mash for tea with chocolate brownies & custard for pudding for hubby. I did a load of washing last night & it's hanging over the maiden now, It will take ages to dry as we don't have the heating on.
Have a good day everyone.
Hugs Hester
Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.0 -
Morning,
Floss - What rubbish service by BG hope the get their act together, make sure you have all windows open and no rads on when they come so they no how cold it is
Moilere - Enjoy the time to yourself
Tru - I see your still trudging on :T
RR and Dazi - Hope both sets of parents are coping ok xx
Sleepwars - DS went to bed at 7pm, we has a lost dummy moment at 12.45 then slept till 5.50am. So progress is being made
Tea tonight Roast choock, pots, chantenay carrots (40p/pk Mr T's) and cauli cheese.
DD1 is up washed and dressed :eek:, Tiddley peeps watching milkshake
, WM is on with towels, then boil whites will all go out too :T.
Enjoy your days xxYou know your getting old when yougo to the pub sit outsideand admire the hanging basket :cool:
Is officially 48% tight
0 -
Morning :hello:
Redruby, it sounds like your dad is improving, hope it continues. Obviously your mum will still worry, but tell her I said to have a night off - hot bubble bath, candles, body lotion. Tru's orders, and I won't take no for an answer
.
I shall tell her you said so, and that you are not one to be messed with
xxx
Morning all,
Looks like it might be nice here today, although its windy, its meant to be getting up to 17 degrees here today
, still no heating on here.
Off to work today, which is again busy, but i do prefer it that way, I must admit I had a really restful night last night, knowing that dad was being looked after, and I bet mum did too, its such a relief knowing he is safe and looked after.
Something with chips for dinner, might do pizza or fish fingers, either way its nice and quick, dd and I will go and see dad later on, will take him a paper and some innocent fruit drinks, to try and keep everything moving:D.
Did a wash last night which is on the airer, will have to wait for that to dry before doing another one, seems to take about 2 days indoors.
Bargainbird, well done on sleep wars :T, remember you can win this, you are a woman
Have good days all xx0 -
Morning all
Hugs to those having difficult times with family x
Dull, windy and wet here. Now on days off, made quite good progress yesterday afternoon as I managed to get the ironing started, and more washed and dried, last night the 5 day forecast was for dry and windy weather here all day today so planned to get lots of washing dried on the line - think that got that a bit wrong - been raining since sometime in the night and doesn't look like stopping anytime soon!
Dinner last night was lamb casserole, was really delicious, cooked it gently for a long time and meat was absolutely gorgeous - served mash potato, savoy cabbage, carrots, peas and LO yorkshire pud with it. Tonight I'm still not sure what's on the menu but will be looking in outside freezer - I do have a bag of quorn mince and ingredients needed to make spag bol - but DS2 doesn't eat it so will have make something else for him - not sure if I can be bothered with the faff! It's a good job it's shopping day tomorrow - fridge and freezer really are bare - really having to be inventive!
Will be really organised today and get lots of jobs done as we want to finish the decorating over the next couple of weekends - she says in eternal hope!
Need to make a start.
Not much else to say really, keep safe and well everyone, hugs to those that need them.
nmlcWEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB0 -
Morning All!
I am finally able to get back on the boards!:j I have been so busy sorting out my Dad and his flat that everything else has taken a back seat.:o
Now, however, the flat has been cleared and sold, just need to give it a bit of a clean, Dad is happily settled in his Nursing home, and I can take a breather!:T
Hope everyone is okay. I have been away for so long I don't know who's who anymore:rotfl: Expect I'll catch up tho!
Looked after DG yesterday. She is 7 months old now and smiling all the time. Her favourite noise at the moment is "Bah" which I think is the beginging of "Baba"! We had a lovely day whilst her Mum went to a spa with a friend and chilled out.
We all appreciated the time together. After Christmas is over, we will be concentrating on the Wedding, Aargh! :shocked:
I've done some of my Christmas shopping, but really not thin king about it yet, as I have Dad to consider and my cousin is in hospital quite ill, so I'm worried about him at the moment.:o
Anyway, ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))) if you need them.
It's great to be back!!
I Believe in saving money!!!:T
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!0 -
Good morning ladies, and any chaps that are lurking behind their computer keyboards,come on out we know you are there.:)felt quite good this morning I managed a good 6 hours uninterupted sleep last night ,no achy joints for a change .Dry here at the moment and supposed to be sunny later so I am going to take a chance and bung a wash on as rain is forecast for tomorrow.
DD rang last night ,she has finally started her new job and absolutely loves it .She said she has a spanking new office all to herself and every convenience that she needs there.Her boss is really nice and helpful and she was suprised at 1.00 to be told 'off you go its your lunch hour'.She hasn't had one of those at work for years ,normally she would have to work through them.She has free parking on site as well whereas her last job cost her £16.00 p.w. to park plus she had to use her own car to take clients around in .At this job she is on site, and has few outdoor trips to make and if she does she has to claim for her expences for them.She says she keeps thinking she will wake up and its all a dream.She has 4 weeks holiday a year whereas before her boss complained if she had two weeks together.So one very happy lass ,plus of course week-ends off and she is home at 5.30 instead of 7.30 and doesnt start until 9 so can leave at 8.15 .before she would leave at 7.30.a.m.for an 8.00.a.m. start.So shorter hours 7k rise and no weekends she is full of the joys of spring at the moment.I am really pleased for her as she is such a hard grafter and very concientious,she deserves a break for a change.The tribe are chuffed as well as they get to see more of Mum than before
Other DD came home from NYC full of a streaming cold so I haven't seen much of her but she phones every day(My immune system isn't good, so any coughs or colds have to keep away until they are better.)
I have food shopping to get after the school run ,first shop of this month so I'm hoping to get a few bargains as Sainsbobs usually have some good whoopsied stuff around 9.00.a.m. in the morning at our local store,fingers crossed
I hope everyone has a good day,another week has flown by almost and I really need to sort out my box in the spare room that I put all the odds and ends of presents that I start to collect from mid-summer onwards.
Right off for a shower and breakfast then school run and shops
bye for now
JackieO xx0 -
Good morning everyone, hope everyone's OK today....sorry, not quite able to mention everyone in turn, how do you all do that?
Yay, its one day closer to the weekend, does that sound like I am wishing my life away? Yeah, I suppose I am, work is boring at the moment. Weather here is absolutely carp, very high winds and lashing rain, but warm....how does that happen? Took me 1 hour 40 minutes to get home last night, a journey that usually takes 20 to 30 minutes in rush hour traffic. Its seems once it starts raining the traffic grinds to a halt. Still raining outside, but not too pushed as I will be indoors all day. Did not sleep too well last night as the wind was very loud and OH has my car today as his needs a new engine!!! Means I have to take a cab home as public transport would take me minimum of 3 hours to get there but hopefully will get his car sorted in the next week or so. Big thanks to JackieG, the SC cleaned up brilliantly, and no scrubbing, absolute magic, will use that trick for all my burned pots. Called to see my lovely sis and my neice last night, came away with dozen beers for the boys, 3 bottles of wine and some soft drinks, she is great, leftovers from a party she had not so long ago so she split it with me, love her. Will have a sample of the wine on Friday night, just to wind down you know. Not sure whats for dinner tonight because I forgot take something out to defrost so it will have to be something simple from the fridge, maybe eggs, beans and chips. Can't do pasta again tonight or I will have a revolt on my hands. Tesco shop being delivered as well tonight (cos I have no car) and tons of washing to do, but it will have to go on airer, rads etc. Need to do some ironing as well as it has been calling to me for the last week, but I am getting very good at ignoring it. Right, going for a coffee before the hordes arrive into the office and start pestering me for stuff. Have a good day all.Cait, at long last signing on:rotfl:0 -
morning
Redruby hope your dad and mum is ok x
Tru :wave:
off to take DD1 to school then i shall nip to $ainsbugs and t3sco to pick up the offers
need to tidy up the house looks like several bombs have dropped and there is a funny smell :eek:
have a good day everyone xx0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards