Consumer right after 1 year guarantee expires

Bought samsung home cinema system 06/08/09 it has ceased functioning. Really disappointed comet group are not interested. Do i have any rights under european law as to the expectation that an electrical system should last more than 1year 3 months:(

Comments

• gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    There's a secret 2 year European law.
  • Comet_company_representative
    Comet_company_representative Posts: 175 Organisation Representative
    coljanscot wrote: »
    Bought samsung home cinema system 06/08/09 it has ceased functioning. Really disappointed comet group are not interested. Do i have any rights under european law as to the expectation that an electrical system should last more than 1year 3 months:(

Hi Coljanscot,

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

From the information you have supplied, as your cinema system is now outside of the manufacturers guarantee, any inspection at this stage would be done on a chargeable basis. Once an inspection is completed, if the fault is deemed to be due to a manufacturing defect then this will be taken into consideration when any costs are applied.

Should you wish to arrange an inspection, please contact our service booking line on 0844 800 95 95, selecting option 3, upon which a colleague will be able to arrange a suitable date for an engineer to and attend. Alternatively, should you experience any problems please send me an e-mail at the link below which included your purchase details.

https://comet.custhelp.com

Thanks

Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Comet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Who told you about the law?

That's a Secret

There's No two year law.

You aint seen nuffin!
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    There's a secret 2 year European law.
    yes there is - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jun/05/consumer-rights-returned-goods
  • italiastar
    Hi Coljanscot,

From the information you have supplied, as your cinema system is now outside of the manufacturers guarantee, any inspection at this stage would be done on a chargeable basis. Once an inspection is completed, if the fault is deemed to be due to a manufacturing defect then this will be taken into consideration when any costs are applied.

Should you wish to arrange an inspection, please contact our service booking line on 0844 800 95 95, selecting option 3, upon which a colleague will be able to arrange a suitable date for an engineer to and attend. Alternatively, should you experience any problems please send me an e-mail at the link below which included your purchase details.

Thanks

Matt

How can you be allowed to post as an official representative and then give the same incorrect information that I would expect from one of your, or competitors stores. That's why John Lewis give a minimum 2 year guarantee - they are not giving anything extra, just making sure that they are compliant with EU (of which the UK is part of) law - same applies to Lidl Aldi Tichibo who are all German
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Hi Coljanscot,

Thanks

Matt

I would be embarrassed to write that. It is no more helpful than the response from Comet the OP has already had.
    italiastar wrote: »

I would be even more embarrassed to write that! :rotfl:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • italiastar
    dmg24 wrote: »

I would be even more embarrassed to write that! :rotfl:

Why, What's the problem ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What is an EU Directive?
    'A directive is a legislative act of the European Union which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result.'

In this case the Sale of Goods Act exceeds the requirements of the directive thereby achieving the result of the directive.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    italiastar wrote: »
    Why, What's the problem ?

See below!
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    What is an EU Directive?
    'A directive is a legislative act of the European Union which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result.'

In this case the Sale of Goods Act exceeds the requirements of the directive thereby achieving the result of the directive.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • italiastar
    dmg24 wrote: »
    See below!

And that's why you'd be embarrassed? please elaborate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income