PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rabbit recipes

Options

Comments

• ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    Rabbit is great. For us it is a veru useful free meat.
    It is best slow cooked in a stem. We just joint it and then stick those in a casserole and that's it. A decent sized rabbit should feed 2-3 people very generously and slightly less generously a family of four.
    We usually get 2x2 meals from a rabbit stew.
    Hmm think there's only one left in the freezer.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    katkin wrote:
    I was given a wild rabbit today, prepared and jointed -I won't go into how it was caught but to say ferrets were involved.

I have no idea what to do with it, or if the family will eat it. Does it taste like the dark meat on chicken?

Rabbit is lovely - much nicer than chicken, IMHO :D

I joint mine, brown it in a casserole with shallots and carrot chunks, add water and cook in the Rayburn for about 1 hour. The meat is then ready to fall of the bones, so you get more than if you take the meat off before cooking. Serve with mashed potato and veg.

One rabbit feeds 4 of us, but only just. So I sometimes suplement with pigs in blankets, or use 2 rabbits and freeze some for later.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure of the answer to your question, as I haven't seen rabbit for sale for many years. Where did you buy yours? I would love to use it again!

Obviously, Cardiff indoor market is a bit out of your way, but do you have any Farmers Markets near you? They often include a game stall selling (amoung other things) rabbit. At least, the one at Cardiff Riverside does!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Never weighed the meat, but one rabbit feeds 5 of us, but that's because two of them won't really eat it :rolleyes: . I always put plenty of veg in the pot with it though.

I'm planning on rabbit for next Sunday, and was going to make a stifado - that's a Greek tomato-based stew with red wine and little onions.
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    I always make a casserole with it. I buy them jointed from my local butchers and just chuck it all in the slow cooker with loads of veggies. 1 rabbit feeds 2 adults and 2 small children. It kind of tastes like chicken but more of a woody taste to it.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What recipie do you use for your Stifado thriftlady? There are so many available, and tbh short of begging my local Greek for some tips i have given up finding one that tastes like it should.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My recipe is from a book called Slim and Healthy Mediterranean Cooking by Judith Wills. It's the only one I've tried so no idea how authentic it is.

You can use a large rabbit or 1¼ lbs lean braising steak

Make a marinade out of
    4 small glasses of red wine
    4 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 tbsb olive oil
    a few black peppercorns
    1 tsp allspice.
    Marinate the meat in this overnight in a casserole.

Pour some of the marinade off and reserve. Add these ingredients to the meat.
    1½ lb of small onions, peeled
    a can of chopped tomatoes(425g)
    3 cloves of garlic, crushed
    2 bay leaves
    salt and pepper
    Add enough of the reserved marinade to just cover the meat.
    Cover and cook for 5 hours at 160C/Gas 3

I would imagine this is a good candidate for the slow cooker.
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We used to have rabbit stew when I was younger - there were 3 of us kids & we used to have competitions on who could get the most lead shot (iyswim ;) ) - it was very tasty & even better if you managed to get away without breaking a tooth :rolleyes:
  • waspie72
    Options
    I can get rabbit on the butchers counter at my local Sainsbury's. An old neighbour got me onto it, originally though the old cant eat a bunny thing but its really nice - just like chicken. Check out Jamie Olivers new book - thanks mum! - its got a couple of receipes for rabbit in it which could be worth trying out.
    ..May tomorrow bring new horizon's...... ::j
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Jamie Oliver says in his 'Cook With Jamie' book that you should try asking your local butcher. Even if they dont have it, they may be able to acquire it for you. Otherwise try game keepers who might give it to you for free!

*Edit: Oops sorry waspie, I didn't get as far as your post when I submitted this. James book is quite good isn't it. His custard is fab!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure