weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats!

Comments

• SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi shanks I am still ill so OH is still doing all the cooking here. He managed to prove a few weeks ago that the smoked salmon pasta is not foolproof but generally is doing okay though the constraints of his time and my ability to eat (I have hyperemesis gravidarum) mean we are not generally making frugality a priority. I did try to be extra frugal beforehand to offset this though so am hoping we've not done too badly - I'll find out when I'm well enough to update my spreadsheets.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Shanks, we are having risotto tonight and we had the smoked salmon pasta on Good Friday. Most of my menu plan for the next two months is from the web site. We now need to buy a pickup for DH's job and are trying to start saving for it.

Lovely to see someone back on here.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I was wondering which was you favourite recipe from the all the plans?

I too miss the days when this was a busy thread. I was a very occassional poster on all Weezl's threads but did enjoy all the research and miss her enthusiastic approach. :) Sadly she seems to have left the forum I think.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I was wondering which was you favourite recipe from the all the plans?

Mmmm thats a tough one there are a few that I really like and use time and again the salmon pasta and the spicy tomato are probably the 2 that i use the most often (mostly to use up the mountain) but i also love the pizza and although live on my own still make up a large batch and freeze so they are handy to take out and a useful way of using up some bottom of the fridge stuff. Humous always goes down well but not sure how frugal that is as i tend to eat most of it in an evening with crisps or crudities so probably not the money saver it should be.
    Another one sorry to see Weezl has stopped posting not sure what has happened assuming life and her 2 boys are getting in the way (damn people with busy fulfilling lives:rotfl:)
    Susan not sure how the pasta can go wrong but good on hubby for cooking anyway and I hope things improve for you soon. Glad you managed to cut down earlier at least you know how if things get tough.
    Poohbear long time no hear is this a new job for DH or just a case of needing new as its more cost effective than a repair?
    Glad to hear people are still using the site I find it handy for recipes to use as a base then adapt with what needs using up.
    Look forward to seeing if we can all start chatting again even if its not all about the food.

Take care xx
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I often see links to that website as I travel round the net. Clearly from people recommending it after using it themselves, so I think it probably still is used well. I love looking at it and drooling over the pics, assured that its nutritious and cheap (not an easy task always!)
    Oh and loved the hummous too.
    Had masses in the freezer and loved it in sarnies or filling the 'trench' in celery. :)

As I have a pasta mountain again, courtesy of MrT's 15p value penne, I think I'll give the pasta dishes a whirl.
    I really need to try one a week I think and then build up my menus around them as I want to save for our hols to the seaside in June.:D
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi shanks,DH is busy negotiating for a building job. Still having lots of meetings with architects etc. but fingers crossed, in fact everything crossed that he, and another builder who is also a sole trader, will get the job. His ancient 4x4 won't pass it's next MOT and it really is necessary around here. We are still saving but heard that LloydsTSB are going to give us almost £6000 in PPI repayment!! :D:D
    It won't stop me being frugal and saving to pay off debts.

Today is chicken pie and wedges for the boys and chicken and wedges for me.

susan DH had to learn to cook when I was ill and has a few recipes he still enjoys making when he gets the chance. His favourite is spag bol with added soya mince and about 200% chopped vegetables. He can make a pan to serve 18 from 1lb mince.

cheerfulness I find it hard to choose as I was already making most of the meals on the plan but I think that the pasta and smoked salmon is my favourite. We glam it up with cherry tomatoes added near the end of cooking. But only when on special offer.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • shanks77
    Poohbear I have my fingers crossed for DH I do hope he gets lucky. Well done on the PPI thats a lot of money that you can really do something useful with.
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    Anyone got a recent update to this list which weezl did. I did try to work it out today, but wasn't sure how to work out marrowfats, as I guess its cooked weight, not dried. I think the first 4 are cheaper now and only onions a little more, if I was doing it right.
    Thanks in advance

Cheapest way to get all five colours:
    raisins 20g 1.3p
    marrowfats 20g 2.24p
    carrot 80g 5.46p
    tomato puree double concentrate 30g 5.28p
    onion 80g 3.04p

17.46p (current asda prices march 09)

Thanks
    Sandra
  • shanks77
    Murrell wrote: »
    Anyone got a recent update to this list which weezl did. I did try to work it out today, but wasn't sure how to work out marrowfats, as I guess its cooked weight, not dried. I think the first 4 are cheaper now and only onions a little more, if I was doing it right.
    Thanks in advance

Cheapest way to get all five colours:
    raisins 20g 1.3p
    marrowfats 20g 2.24p
    carrot 80g 5.46p
    tomato puree double concentrate 30g 5.28p
    onion 80g 3.04p

17.46p (current asda prices march 09)

Thanks
    Sandra

Ooh sorry that is way too geeky for me im afraid I only replied so that you didnt feel ignored. Hope someone clever can come along and help. Nice to see you again though xx
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    shanks77 wrote: »
    Ooh sorry that is way too geeky for me im afraid I only replied so that you didnt feel ignored. Hope someone clever can come along and help. Nice to see you again though xx

Thanks shanks77 for acknowledging me. I had forgotten I had posted it anyway! Sandra
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure