PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2010 at 11:26AM
    Options
    losingpatience - my inlaws had funding for travel from Macmillan, worth asking the question

Fuming with Asda, home delivery order yesterday, they rang to say the driver had forgotten to load one crate but that they would deliver it between 7 and 9 last night. I am stuggling with fatigue at the moment but I stayed up and of course they didn't arrive. I rang the 5p a minute helpline, got cut off twice and after 20 minutes waiting finally spoke to someone! They couldn't tell me anything without ringing the store and calling me back which by then was pointless so she agreed a refund just for the missing items. They have joined Mr T on my home delivery do not use list - and at least Mr T give you some vouchers as an apology. Humph. I now have to go out today for dog food and milk. ETA = apparently they finally attempted to deliver at 10.20pm!

I need to work out how much they will take before I can update my spends but I *think* I am still well within my target and I have added a few bits for next month like a turkey whilst I have been out and about.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    I'm getting a bit close to my target - only about £10 left with 7 days left to go. I have had an unexpected visit by DS's GF for four days this week, though she is a lovely girl it does set you back a bit on the grocery stakes.

Been to B&M this morning and they have much extended their food section in our local store, had some good stuff so I may pop in a little more often. It's on my way home form work so very handy (probably too handy!!) I only went in to look at bathroom floor tiles...

Off to make bread now. Have also made my first batch of laundry gloop this morning so it will be interesting to see if I never have to buy WP again.
  • pepsi-kins
    Options
    Hi All,
    Hugs to all those having a rough time of it x

In damage limitation mode now, not going to worry too much about it, because I think I am getting a bit OCD about this. I really fancied a piece of choccy cake yesterday, i agonised over this for hours, before giving in and going to the co-op, then I spent the evening trying to justify it (i spent the past two days working on an essay for college, and needed something to make me feel better - thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I'm lucky that I don't have to worry too much, but obviously I don't want to waste money or food. So I'm going to cut myself some slack, next year I am going for an annual budget to see if that gives me a bit more leeway for my budget.

Sorry for waffling - but feel so guilty for not being better at this.

Have a good week everyone x
    2024 G/C £1025.31. Nectar - £ Morrison’s - £ Boots - £ Asda Rewards - £ Tesco - £
  • mongmoney
    Options
    Hi All,
    Work has been crazy so I've been trying to eat from the freezer, as planned. Ate an entire chicken over 3 days! I hope that this trying to empty the freezer doesn't mean that I put on a stone.
    I received my £50 of Saino's vouchers from the house insurance promo. Two £20's and one £10. I have to spend the entire amount in order not to lose anything. Spent the £10 last sat but I will have to wait until I've emptied a shelf in the freezer before attempting to get the most out of £20 at Saino's. I really hate paying more for something just because you have a voucher you want/need to use. I have managed to spend less this month. One week to go.
    Good luck to all those that are trying to not buy what you don't need.
    Mongy

Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello All,

I hope you are all having a good or at least a better day today.

Katholicos what a hectic and stressful day! Hope it's easier today.

Well, I still haven't been to MrT as I worked from home on Thursday so that was a NSD. Yesterday went the doctor and OH did the butcher and bits trip while I was there. He got the mince for the lasagne I've been fancying all week and is currently putting it together. :drool:

We've just been to town to get the essential bits we needed and I would have got from MrT - milk, butter, HP sauce, puree, etc. Bill was £12.78 before multisave taken off, £10.46 after and he had a voucher for £1 off £10 spend so came to £9.46 in the end. If you're interested they have Anc**r butter at 2 for £1 at the mo in C**p. Bless him, he thought he was doing the right thing getting it on offer but I can't stand the taste of it. _pale_ Ah well have to use it up in cooking I suppose and I'll get some nice butter next week.

Anyway the sig is up to date with balance and NSD. We've got just over £85 left to see us through until a week Monday. The running total on NSD is 11 but I really want to up that considerably. Not sure if I'll do it but no harm in trying!

Right I'm off but will check back later for posts.

Take care and have a great weekend,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Just updated signature. I have less than £3 left to last me until Friday and I only have enough potatoes to last me for dinner tomorrow I think, plus will probably need some more milk in a few days so it is looking a bit doubtful but netherthless my best month for ages. I am cheating a little in that I am not including £7.50 that my OH spent today at his Mum's annual xmas church stall until next month. Not that it wasn't money on food that will not be eaten but it was all on food that we didn't actually need at the moment like home made marmalade, pickled onions & cakes & which we wouldn't have bought if we didn't want to support the stall. So that will be added onto next's month.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    losingpatience - sorry things arent too good. Certainly ask about some sort of financial help with travelling costs as we were told that our daughter could have gotten some financial assistance if needed during her recent battle with cancer.

Have spent a fortune since last update - £70.10 to be exact!!! :( Have been making mum a few extra meals though as she not been to well although on the mend now.:)
    Last week I brought some squash at 89p for 2 lts - this week have noticed it is 99p for 1.5 lts :mad: I bet they though people wouldnt notice that not only the price had gone up but the size had come down.
    Tomorrow will be a NSD and as long as DH doesnt decides there is XY or Z that we just MUST have we should be ok until Wednesday - heres hoping anyway.

DH will be 65 soon and will get state pension but it is paid 4 weeks in arrears. This equates to him getting £70.00 end of next week then nothing until end of Dec :eek::eek: He will get a works pension on top of this which will be as normal and thankfully this is enough to cover the bills.
    Have paid large deposit on our turkey so thats not a problem but havent even started the present shopping yet. Thank goodness have been putting the savings away that I have managed through doing the GC or else we would be in deep dog doo doo's:rotfl: In my opinion we should have been warned about this a while ago so as you can start to prepare for it and thought it was worth mentioning if anyone else coming up to 65.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    losingpatience - sorry things arent too good. Certainly ask about some sort of financial help with travelling costs as we were told that our daughter could have gotten some financial assistance if needed during her recent battle with cancer.

Have spent a fortune since last update - £70.10 to be exact!!! :( Have been making mum a few extra meals though as she not been to well although on the mend now.:)
    Last week I brought some squash at 89p for 2 lts - this week have noticed it is 99p for 1.5 lts :mad: I bet they though people wouldnt notice that not only the price had gone up but the size had come down.
    Tomorrow will be a NSD and as long as DH doesnt decides there is XY or Z that we just MUST have we should be ok until Wednesday - heres hoping anyway.

DH will be 65 soon and will get state pension but it is paid 4 weeks in arrears. This equates to him getting £70.00 end of next week then nothing until end of Dec :eek::eek: He will get a works pension on top of this which will be as normal and thankfully this is enough to cover the bills.
    Have paid large deposit on our turkey so thats not a problem but havent even started the present shopping yet. Thank goodness have been putting the savings away that I have managed through doing the GC or else we would be in deep dog doo doo's:rotfl: In my opinion we should have been warned about this a while ago so as you can start to prepare for it and thought it was worth mentioning if anyone else coming up to 65.

Billie Jo, sorry to read that your daughter has been battling with cancer, I do so hope that she will come out the winner of the battle.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • katholicos
    Options
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Hello All,

I hope you are all having a good or at least a better day today.

Katholicos what a hectic and stressful day! Hope it's easier today.

Well, I still haven't been to MrT as I worked from home on Thursday so that was a NSD. Yesterday went the doctor and OH did the butcher and bits trip while I was there. He got the mince for the lasagne I've been fancying all week and is currently putting it together. :drool:

We've just been to town to get the essential bits we needed and I would have got from MrT - milk, butter, HP sauce, puree, etc. Bill was £12.78 before multisave taken off, £10.46 after and he had a voucher for £1 off £10 spend so came to £9.46 in the end. If you're interested they have Anc**r butter at 2 for £1 at the mo in C**p. Bless him, he thought he was doing the right thing getting it on offer but I can't stand the taste of it. _pale_ Ah well have to use it up in cooking I suppose and I'll get some nice butter next week.

Anyway the sig is up to date with balance and NSD. We've got just over £85 left to see us through until a week Monday. The running total on NSD is 11 but I really want to up that considerably. Not sure if I'll do it but no harm in trying!

Right I'm off but will check back later for posts.

Take care and have a great weekend,
    Spigs

Spigs, thanks so much! Yes, thankfullly today has been much more enjoyable and relaxed. Brought some bargains at the parish Christmas fair and spend less than a fiver all told so i am thrilled!

• katholicos
    Options
    Oh gosh, forgot to mention food...haven't brought any groceries today...made some advocado sandwich filling using and advocado, some seafoood sauce, galice, salt and pepper mushed together and slathered on some home made bread that had been spread with lurpak...yum...

We will be having baked potatoes yet again for our eveing meal, with cheese and beans or cheese and coleslaw. Have just put all the other cooked and foil wrapped baked potatoes in the freezer. Hopefully this ittle experiment will work out and it will cut down on energy usage and be more convenient.

Just took some more homemade bread out of the freezer so when it is defrosted i will slice it...from now on though i am going to start slicing it before i freeze it, as i don't always want to take a whole loaf out and would like the choice of taking just a few slices out of the freezer if that suits my needs better.

Hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family