PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    2nd NSD for me :j
    off to $ain$ugs and t3sco tomorrow , ive had alook on my $upermarket at the offers in readiness :D
    t3sco have bran$ton beans pack of 4 buy 1 get 2 free :j £2.45 i think , works out at 20p ish a tin :T
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £1.51 in Tesco today on bleach, a tin of tomatoes and a giant carrot!

I took some mince out the freezer last night so am going to put that in my slow cooker in the morning for spag bol/chilli and make a lasagne for Saturday as have fancied it for ages. The rest will go in the freezer.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • brodie1_2
    brodie1_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    MrsMCawber made the chick, chorizo rice thingy you put up as I had some chorizo (half price 1.12 at Ldl) we all loved it. It definately made 4 portions rather than the two (like u said it would). Mine loved it so much though they Dh and DS polished it all off. It is now a regular especially on Band practise night.:T
    Got loads at L*dls this week DH said it was how ald* use to be with regards cheese and yogs. No stewing beef tho at 1.99 pack and british it had all gone.:( Got our xmas Stollen 1.99 we always get one form Lidd** every xmas got to remeber not to eat it before;)
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2010 at 9:28PM
    Options
    LannyLee wrote: »
    That's the great thing about a SC though, you can use the cheapest cuts & they still melt in yourmouth because of the long slow cooking. :D

Definitely, in fact the cheaper cuts taste much better than the dearer ones when cooked in the SC. I also find diced turkey thigh is better in SC recipes than chicken breast.

Have managed 3 nsd's in a row :beer: Will need to do some shopping tomorrow though so need to make a list first.

Major hugs to Sunnyday and Menolly - I hope your situation improves soon.
    xx
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    what's a FF/td fund Sue14--Favourite Friend Touch Down!!---i am new to this world of mystical abbreviations!!--i know DD means daughter but cant get the other D

Hi, as wssla00 guessed, it is fridge freezer and tumble dryer! We have been saving up for both of these this year, using money saved on groceries and profits from Ebay sales, as we prefer to save up for things rather than getting into debt. It's taken most of the year, but we finally got the fridge freezer at the end of August, and the tumble dryer arrived last week, not very MSE I know, but I will only use it when absolutely necessary, so hopefully it shouldn’t be too bad. I'm still managing to get the washing out on the line at the moment, so I just put it in the tumble dryer to finish it off, if it's not quite dry when I bring it in.

The fund will now be changed to something like 'the bedroom fund', as we want to get our bedroom decorated and get some new furniture for it next year, as it’s not been decorated for 19 years, so we need to get saving for that now.

Sue.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just about to update my sig - spent £3-08 in the Co-*p yesterday on some oranges, mushrooms and cream. Have achieved 5 NSD so far this month - managed to restrict myself to just one top-up shop this week so am please with that. Will be doing my main shop tomorrow at Sainsbugs. I had thought about going to a farm shop but really haven't got time to go to two places and I know they won't sell bananas and citrus fruit. Might make it next week - I am keen to see what's on offer and if it is much more expensive or not.

Sunnyday - sorry to hear of your bad luck - hope things pick up for you and your OH soon.

Off to update signature.

Moniker
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure whether to say Thanks for this or not rolleyes2.gif
    the_cat wrote: »
    On a money saving note, Big Brand Foods have a special 100% extra on ALL food items from today till Friday. Seems to be you order 1 of anything, they will auto send you 2. You have to use the special code though. Linky below.... HTH

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2782320&page=5

Spend day for me....... total of £31.12 including delivery

Loads of granary bread flour, jam to put on the HM bread after I toast it, probably/hopefully enough tinned rhubarb to keep me in crumbles throughout 2011, shed loads of rissotto rice that just needs the meat/veg adding (love the stuff, and should end up with enough for 120 meals) and a raft of lemon and ginger sauce (buy 10 get 10 free, then presumably doubled up with the offer!)

and toffee muffin mix with the chocolate flavoured fudge topping to go on them ;)

Heaven only knows were I'm going to store 110kg of food on top of everything I already have - and I really hope I'm in when it comes, as I don't think any of my neighbours will be impressed at being asked to take delivery for me :o

Immediate neighbour took in a (just under) 29kg delivery from App F00ds for me on Monday, and she couldn't believe the size/weight of that as a food order blush.gif
    Cheryl
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi peeps :D

just reporting in with a NSD today, I really want to say thankyou to everyone for all the supportive posts and good wishes. They made a huge difference :A

And now the big news - DH went for an interview for a job today and has been offered it :j:j:j:j:D:D:D

It doesn`t start for a couple of weeks yet and we`re not sure when he will get paid as he was so overwhelmed he plain forgot to ask! But its there and thats the main thing. It`s not as much money as the last one but we WILL be able to cope by being careful. I`m thinking that we will be around a month without a wage, maybe 6 weeks but as i`ve just said on another thread there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Menolly - So sorry to hear that you and your OH are in a similar situation, 30 months ago both DH and i faced it, i ended up being ok and DH was made redundant but he was lucky enough to find another job, the fact that its happened again is another kick in the teeth and we know that we`re not out of the woods yet as our firm have started to reshuffle. Good luck with claiming what you are due, the receivers at DH`s firm gave everyone a sheaf of forms to fill in but as you say its a long process when your employer is insolvent.

Good luck to all others who are in a similar situation ((((HUGS))))

I need to rejig the meal plan a bit now as neither of us has eaten anything much over the last couple of days so i need to make sure that the oldest food is eaten up first.

Thanks again peeps :beer:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Menolly_2
    Options
    Went on to "My Supermarket" this morning and worked out my shopping list at Mr T. Toddled off this afternoon and despite the fact that I couldn't resist the Cathedral Chedder BOG2F offer or the tinned tomato offer (another BOG2F - we get through a LOT of tinned toms in our house!!!), I came in under £78.00. That included a free range chook for Sunday which will provide cold chook to go with jacket spuds and salad on Monday, chicken risotto on Wednesday and the basis for stock/soup later on (I freeze the carcases if I can't get to them right away). I also bought another chook which I will cut into chicken pieces and freeze and that gives me another carcase for later use.
    The freezer and storecupboards are pretty well stacked just now, but I did buy two bags of preserving sugar and a tub of cream of tartar (there is a buy 2 get 3rd baking item free offer on) and I got a tin of Ma Made seville oranges so I can make marmalade, as DH has scarfed down the last of the whisky marmalade that I made at the beginning of the year when seville oranges were in season.
    The only thing that I didn't get was butter - I wanted their Value butter which My Supermarket had at £0.75, but when I got to the store, it is now marked up at £0.98p - don't consider that to be "value". Didn't actually NEED it this week - I have enough for the baking that I am doing, but it is irritating to find that My Supermarket is not quite as "up to date" with its pricing as it claims to be. Guess I'll have to buy margarine instead.

Marked down shelf was full of cream cakes - fortunately I'm not a fan and it didn't look like many other shoppers were, either.

Have to say that I punched the air when the final bill came up on the till!!! Got an odd look from the girl on the till, but I think there might have been another Frugal Shopper behind me, because she gave me a very broad grin!:D
    Obedient women are never remembered in History!

November Grocery Challenge: 03/11/10 Spent £77.84:)
    10/11/10 Spent £84.95 17/11/10 Spent £79.63 24/11/10 Spent £75.39 :j
    December Grocery Challenge 30/11/10 Spent £32 Clubcard Vouchers and £79.15 Cash. 08/12/10 Spent £77.73 Cash and £127.50 Clubcard Vouchers - Christmas is now sorted!!! :snow_grin
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Menolly wrote: »
    and I got a tin of Ma Made seville oranges so I can make marmalade
    I luuuuuuve that stuff :D

It comes a very close second to the marmalade my paternal grand-mother made, and hers was always my absolute favourite marmalade of all time :)

I currently have a tin waiting to be made up (with some megga cheap sugar I got at work, due it having got slightly damp and dried out as a huge lump - no problem for making marmalade when I have to melt it down anyway, so I wasn't turning it down at 5p/bag ;)) - just need to sort out enough empty jars from jams etc, rather than sauces/pickles that have left a distinct 'after smell' even after airing the jars for months !!!
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport