Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Becseven's Redundancy Preparer debt diary..

I've decided that I need to become obsessed with money saving again as my debts have crept up again and I need to get my family's finances shipshape as I've just been at risk of redundancy and survived another day but it made me have a second lightbulb moment and I've decided to sort things out. I've got a young family with a young son and daughter and work part time including shift work. Anyway I'll start my little diary today as I start afresh and have updated my yucky debts. I'm going to the zoo tomorrow so I've made pack ups for us all complete with water bottles to avoid spending anymore than I have to. I'm a big green tea drinker so thinking of bring a flask of hot water too! Spends today are 12 which included some stuff for dh pack up and also a witch costume for dd which i couldnt resist- it had 20% off so kind of MSE!
HSBC Visa-High interest-£2349.23 Nat West £2605.18
My Overdraft-£1500
Barclaycard-1089.77
Marks and Spencer card- 3331.30 next 92.67
Total was 11066.29 now £10,968.15

Replies

• patman99patman99 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I know what it is like to be at risk of redundancy, although in my case, I did end-up unemployed after 16 years at the same employer. Luckily I am now back in employment after 5 months on benefits.

Good luck with your debt-free journey.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Sorry to hear about your redundancy patman99 but glad to hear you found employment again. My nerves were shot last week and I want to feel that i am in a better place financially next time it happens (and it will unfortunately). Had a fantastic day at the zoo-spent £16 in total for a family of three so not too bad. Had a bill in for my new Barclaycard that I transferred my Hsbc debt onto as it was 6.9% for the life of the balance so paid the minimum payment of £60.75 off that as my HSBC balance is the one i'm focussing on now. i've got a day with my son alone tomorrow(my dd is 21months and very demanding so it'll be nice to focus on him) and may go to Conkers with him and use tesco vouchers. I'm just off to make another pack up for us! Loving getting back into MSE again!
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • We went to Twin Lakes in the end which set me back £23 but was such a brillant day out it was well worth it. We went on all the rides, ran around on the huge indoor soft play that is for adults too and did an assault course-I am flipping knackered! A highlight of the day was watching a falconary demonstation when I nearly got knocked out by a low flying owl-it was fascinating. Anyway we had our pack ups and I spent £1.50 on a diet coke because I forgot my drink-doh! -and then we shared a twix at 60p! Then spent £6 at Sainsburys on some salady bits, good deal on Twining green tea that I love-2 boxes for £1.70, some seafood sticks for my lunch this morning (i'm on nights!) and a bargain 15p toffee apple for DS. I've got 4 night shifts now so planning on spending as little as possible in the next few days and actually have not much planned for the next week so shall challenge myself to make every pound a prisoner of war. Need to get my contacts though so will have to fork out £35 in the next few days-rubbish-but they should last me a while. Going to make some biccies for the kids tonight so that mum and dad have some free treats to give them when they come over. About to embark on the 30 day shred to lose some weight and really tone up. It's a workout dvd by the biggest loser trainer Gillian and is a really hard core workout that lasts 30 minutes. I'm scared already!
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • Didn't spend anything today as spent the day in bed! Yay to me! have made some nice homemade soup and am going to make some egg sarnies for a party my kids are going to tomorrow in the Village Hall. We had to make a decoration too and surprised myself at making quite a good ghost tonight. have a ton of ironing to do and must clean this house as it is a mess.
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • Had a bit of an awful day today. Slept well after my night shift but DS was not well. Took him to the Halloween party and he was not himself-not really enjoying himself and hardly ate a morsel which is not like him at all! He then told me that his 'breath hurt' so that rang alarm bells and I rang my out of hours doctors-that was at 6-got a call back at 7 to go in at 8.05 but didn't get seen until 9. He was diagnosed with a chest infection and had to go on the nebuliser-he has a high temperature and is making a funny noise breathing. I've got penecilin for him too. Thank the lord i am working nights from home so can keep a close eye on him-checked him half an hour ago and he was drenched in sweat but can't give him anything else until 2.30. Didn't get in until 10.30 so was unable to make my sausage casserole and ended up getting a takeaway-not mse but couldn't do anything else. Had to get petrol too so that was another £20
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • chevalierchevalier Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    good luck with clearing your debts. you sound very motivated at the moment.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Hope little one gets better soon. I love the idea of keeping every pound a prisoner of war lol!
  • DS seems a bit better today but still running a temperature. Luckily his school has got a training day so no need to keep him off school tomorrow. Had a really bad sleep today after my night because DD is going through a real tantrum throwing stage at the moment and because ds was ill DH couldn't take them out like he normally does. Feeling really tired tonight but determined to plough through a few jobs. No spend today but need to get my contact lenses tomorrow and owe my mum £40 so won't be left with much money to get me through to pay day. I hate living like this-always scrimping and saving until pay day but hey ho-my own fault really! We listed about 6 things on ebay and hope to do more tomorrow so this should bring a bit more income.
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • Managed to reduce our joint overdraft by £21 this month. Only a small amount I know but it's the first time in ages that we haven't gone over the overdraft and had a payment rejected. I know that next month we will really reduce it so looking forward to that. I had let hubby manage our joint account-big mistake-as he is a stick his head in the sand person who just ignored the state it was in. I've now taken control and am going to get this baby back into credit if it kills me! Now that I'm in MSE mode again I feel really good. tonight is my bargain night at Sainsburys-if I pop in at 8pm I have picked up some absolute corkers of bargains-30p tuna steaks, salmon, porkchops. Please oh please let it happen tonight!
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
  • Hi beckseven, thank goodness you survived the redundancy. Keep saving those pennies and the pounds will mount up, thats what my old mum says anyway.

Good luck i will look forward to reading your diary.

Wilf
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals