We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Contract lengths - where did 12 months go?
Comments
-
MoneyGypsy wrote: »Luckily my problem is solved. I got the £7.50 t-mobile deal for 12months that was on another thread. Okay no phone included but for that price I can buy one on ebay!

hi moneygypsy,
care to share the link for the deal?
thanks0 -
hi moneygypsy,
care to share the link for the deal?
thanks
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/27837080 -
A_Flock_Of_Sheep wrote: »OMG Imagine a 60 month contract!
I read somewhere (Sunday Times I think) that a new EU law effective in May 2011 means that contracts cannot be longer than 24 months and that networks must also offer 12 month contracts.
So things may change next year if the report is right.0 -
I read somewhere (Sunday Times I think) that a new EU law effective in May 2011 means that contracts cannot be longer than 24 months and that networks must also offer 12 month contracts.
I'm not sure this will have any useful effect.
All that will happen is any new expensive phones on 12 month contracts will require a large payment for the device at the beginning. No law will change the fact that the network needs to recover the cost of the device over the term of the contract.
Longer term contracts such as 24 months, though undesirable for many, are a way for customers to get an expensive handset for a nominal cost/free with a contract.0 -
I disagree. Expensive handsets always used to be available on 12 month contracts. Ok they may be more expensive now, but so are the monthly price plans.I'm not sure this will have any useful effect.
All that will happen is any new expensive phones on 12 month contracts will require a large payment for the device at the beginning. No law will change the fact that the network needs to recover the cost of the device over the term of the contract.
Longer term contracts such as 24 months, though undesirable for many, are a way for customers to get an expensive handset for a nominal cost/free with a contract.
My first phone was a motorola V66 (in 2002, when I was 11 haha!). My parents got it for me free on a 12 month T-mob contract for £13.99 a month. I remember the handset only price at the time was £250-350. Handsets aren't very much more expensive than that now. Excluding the silly price of the iPhone.
I'm very tempted now by this Orange San Francisco, with the Tmob £7.50 sim...0 -
It's not just about covering the cost of the handset, you also have to factor in the expensive 3g network that the handset runs on, the staff you need to support the phone when it goes wrong (and theres alot more to go wrong on them these days), the upcoming rollout of the new LTE network that will cost a fortune etc. Also look at what you got with 12 month contracts a few years ago, maybe 100 mins and 100 texts for £25, these days you get alot more, unlimited texts, loads of crossnet minutes, a generous data allowence, in real terms mobile phones have never been cheaper and the profit margins for the networks have never been smaller0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
