We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Contract lengths - where did 12 months go?

2

Comments

  • I don't know why there are "minimum" lengths for Mobile Phones. After all the people pushing the deals say the phone is free (confused)
    I read somewhere an idea to take SIM only 30 days and use a 0% credit card to buy a SIM free handset. Then you can ditch and switch easily.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I reckon contract could work for people who consistently use their full allocations of voice/text/data.

    If you DON'T use most of it then sim only has to be the way.

    I got a second hand iphone 3gs and normally spend less than £10 per month on voice/text/data combined on payg!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    lozzaman wrote: »
    You don't have to sign up for them? All the networks offer 1 month and 12 month SIM only.
    Well, if I want a free phone bundled with a contract then yes I do. 5 years ago I could get still get a decent phone on a 12 monther. :( The networks are not giving customers what they want.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    rev_henry wrote: »
    It is outrageous and anti competitive. I quite agree. I've just about accepted having 18 month contracts - 24 months is just a joke.

    Is 6 months extra really that bad? or are you just being a bit of a drama queen? :)
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Is 6 months extra really that bad? or are you just being a bit of a drama queen? :)
    Yes! I was used to and liked upgrading every year. Now I can't. :( I am the customer and I cannot get what I want.
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Yes! I was used to and liked upgrading every year. Now I can't. :( I am the customer and I cannot get what I want.

    Start a campaign to bring back 12 month contracts. I have a deal on 12 months ending in November and another contract which wont end for another year (18 month contract). So its a long wait to get a new phone.
    It's basically because the phones everyone wanted back when 12 month contracts were available cost around £100 -£200. Now, everyone wants a phone that costs £400-£500 pounds and the only way to ensure customers pay a reasonable amount is to lengthen the contacts. I've heard Tesco still do 12 month contracts though.

    Networks could easily bring back 12 month contracts if they wanted to. There are cheaper phones they could sell or with the expensive ones, they could charge more on the tariff and/or ask for customer to pay towards the phone at start. I would sign up to those.
  • I was in an 18 month contract during the Vodafone 500MB Fair Use Internet fiasco. ***NEVER AGAIN***. I will always go for SIM only and buy my own handset. You have so much more power to leave the network. Thank god I got out of the contract in the end early. But I have learned from it.

    18 and 24 month contracts are for stupid people (I was one of them) who see the nice shiny handset and the "too good to be true" deal and get sucked in like a piece of dust up a hoover. I would however *perhaps* consider a 12 month contract and I am quite prepared to pay more monthly or pay towards the handset.
  • There was a joke in a recent Simpson's episode where Millhouse gets his cell phone confiscated by the school teacher. Millhouse cries "Please Miss......I was only on month one of a 60 month plan!" :D
  • OMG Imagine a 60 month contract!
  • Luckily my problem is solved. I got the £7.50 t-mobile deal for 12months that was on another thread. Okay no phone included but for that price I can buy one on ebay! :)
    :A :A :A :A
    DFW Nerd No.: 789 Ligthbulb moment: 23/09/07
    Challenge: No bank loans and CC gets cleared every month.
    Need to think about restarting the Grocery Challenges
    Sealed Pot Challenge: Put change in and give to charity when full.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.