We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice on buying HTC Desire

2»

Comments

  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    The fact sim-free phones have no network software on them is a bonus! Every single network without fail stuffs up otherwise brilliant phones with their own crappy firmware and bloatware.

    So thankful my Desire was an early 3 batch and not locked or branded in any way.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • alf
    alf Posts: 116 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    A new Desire HD is out soon with a 8 megapixel camera etc.
  • sshnuke
    sshnuke Posts: 149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Only difference is you will end up with a sim-free handset from CPW with no potential network software on it which I find can cause problems.

    Sorry to quote you unluckymike but the comment has surprised me a little. The whole point of buying a CPW phone for me is that you don't get the (bloaty) network software on it. As a previous post mentioned, the current HTC T-mobile branding isn't that bad but I'm a bit of a snob and a lot of the branding on phones makes my heart sink. (If that's bad I'm sorry.)

    Anyways, I'd hate to think I was sinking in ignorance so can you or anyone else passing through tell me why the lack of network software can cause problems please?
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • sshnuke
    sshnuke Posts: 149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    alf wrote: »
    A new Desire HD is out soon with a 8 megapixel camera etc.
    Thanks Alf. I think the HD might be a bit on the big side for me personally: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2729183

    Thanks tho'.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • djl208
    djl208 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Not sure if this will be of interest, but I have just signed up to the following deal with Orange through Mobile.co.uk

    Free HTC Desire, unlocked and no branding bloatware
    24 mths, 300 mins, unlimited texts, and 500mb data
    £25pm line rental (24x25=£600)
    9 months free by redemption (£225)
    £50 cashback from Quidco

    Equivalent line rental of £13.54 ((600-225-50)/24)

    No initial outlay and data sufficient for me as I use a lot of wifi.

    I was wary of the cashback element, but having read many posts on here I will be following the terms very closely to make sure I get it right.
  • sshnuke
    sshnuke Posts: 149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks DJ. Much lower than the monthly outlay options in my first post. Will def look into that as well.

    Yes, quite a few people are wary of cashback with moblies.co.uk but it sounds like a good deal. if you have time it's perhaps worth considering posting your deal in the HTC specific thread as well: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2412445
    Snootchie Bootchies!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.